Can't delete $ISR folder

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by trebla, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trebla

trebla Registered Member

Hi,
    I've just upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista.I believe their isn't a version of ISR for Windows 7 yet unless it's installed on vista first and then upgraded to version 7.How can I delete the folder $ISR on C drive.I have full administrator's rights but I'm still not allowed to delete the folder.
    Thank you

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hhmm: I havent got to W7 yet but if you read the entry here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1551369&postcount=116
    it might pique your interest. ;)

That is a little confusing:
    Was FDISR installed in Vista and working ??
    Is FDISR carried over/still installed as part of the upgrade but not working ??

If you have a functional system: Image first:
    This is somewhat unknown territory.
    LOL, no-one wanting FDISR 'off' yet, just wanting it to work :)
    I dont know enough yet about W7 and changes to mbr or partition boot management of FDISR/W7 and what effect this may have on your set-up.

Why cant you just uninstall FDISR and snapshots ??

If not then you could try this:
    Open a Command Prompt and enter the following:
    cd \$ISR\$APP\Setup
    ISRService -stop
    That should allow you to delete the $ISR snapshots folder(s) if present.
    I would not actually delete the \$ISR\0 folder
    Restart the service
    Back in the Command Prompt enter:
    ISRService -start

Can you then uninstall FDISR ??

Anyone who has installed FDISR in W7 might be able to suggest other options.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  3. trebla

trebla Registered Member

Thanks for your help.I haven't got First Defense installed as I had removed it before upgrading as I didn't think it would work with Windows 7.The command prompt doesn't work as the program isn't installed.I tried to install it on Windows 7 but it comes up with 'unknown boot sector'.

4. Longboard

:( Not much help I'm afraid.
    So you had FDISR on Vista, uninstalled it, then upgraded, and now have the $ISR folder left in system drive and cant access it ??
    :doubt:
    Out of my depth now ( ie back to usual state :) )
    Might have to try one of the unlockers
    Unlocker 1.8.8 - 26/10/2009
    http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
    - Improved behavior: Improved the way DLLs are unloaded.
    - Promotional feature: Added fully optional shortcuts to eBay during the installation. Simply untick "eBay shortcuts" in the choose components page during install if you do not wish to have those.

Can W7 boot to safe mode ??; then try delete ??

PM toTodd ? I bet he would be interested.

5. trebla

trebla Registered Member

I tried in Safe Mode with no luck.I'll just leave it there I suppose and hope to get a version that works on 7.
    Thanks again

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Unlocker won't help. It's a folders ownership and permission issue. I had to do it once manually on XP, and it took forever, plus all the screaming warning from windows as you are deleting the system area. May I never have to do that again.

7. TomSawyer2009

TomSawyer2009 Registered Member

Unlocker should be able to help with folders ownership and permission issues since Unlocker 1.8.7.

From the official website history: "- Improved behavior: Improved deleting/renaming/moving files such as C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9e.ocx for example."

This file had ownership and permission issues, so might be worth trying.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I had a similar problem using FirstDefense PC Rescue with Vista (actually this is the reason I have stopped using the program). When I wanted to uninstall the program everything went well except there was no way to uninstall the the rescue area, I tried everything that I could, in the end only restoring an image without FD PC Rescue worked. Have you tried with UAC off?

9. trebla

trebla Registered Member

Unlocker and turning UAC off ,neither work.

10. Longboard

Nice problem...;)
    So wha's locking it ??
    Some registry keys left over ...have you looked there ??
    search leapfrog, isr, firstdefence, fdisr...??

Solution ??..boot from Knoppix disc or Win PE disc..navigate and NUKE ??

Heh: I do remember trying to manipulate some parts of FDISR in the past and being amazingly frustrated at how difficult access etc was

Try Process explorer and Autoruns: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx
    or Runscanner( not sure if it works with W7: possibly not)
    http://www.runscanner.net/download.aspx?version=1.8.1.0

LOL, even HiJack this ;)

11. tutor772

tutor772 Registered Member

I had a similar problem. I had some left-over files from an earlier FD-ISR install that I couldn't delete. I changed permissions, etc., but still couldn't delete. When I tried deleting, I got an error message--something about invalid filenames.
    I downloaded a copy of Ubuntu Linux 9.0 (http://www.ubuntu.com/), burned the .iso image to a disk, booted, selected "just try Ubuntu, don't install" and let Ubuntu boot my computer. From the Ubuntu file manager, I was able to access and delete the old FD-ISR folder. Problem solved. You might try Ubuntu.

12. trebla

trebla Registered Member

Thank you for all the imput.I got fed up with spending time trying to delete the $ISR directory that I ran my rescue disks to put the original system back on.This wasn't that time consuming since I had just updated from Vista to Windows 7.It worked out a lot quicker than spending hours trying to delete the folder.I don't think I'll be using First Defense again although I have to admit it worked well in Vista.
    Thanks again

13. evansgo

evansgo Registered Member

Its a folder permission AND ownership problem.
    I have previously succeded by booting a live ubunto disk (much easier than it sounds) but the last time I tried, even this would not work and it flatly refused to remove the directory, which I have not seen before. In the end I did get rid of it, but it took quite some time and involved making myself the owner and giving special permissions, several reboots - in short it can be done but is VERY difficult.

And in case you think of just reinstalling the program and then deleting ALL the snapshots, then it MAY work but most of the time the program will not install and crashes out as it doesn't like it if there is already a $ISR folder in existance....

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Difficult indeed. I only did it once, but it took almost 3 hours resetting the ownership and permissions on each folder.

15. jonono

jonono Registered Member

@tutor772 & evansgo - on the right track -

anyone having this sort of problem that doesn't respond to the latest Unlocker or Killbox, etc.,

needs to use a "rescue bootCD" of some sort that will let you manipulate (explore/copy/delete)
    the contents of Windoze outside of Windoze .....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.