re-install original FDISR

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by twl845, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi, I have FD-ISR (the original) on my main computer, and I want to install it on a second computer. I have the set up file stored in "My Downloads". I transfered the .exe file to the same folder in the other computer and attempted to install FD-ISR. I got to the first window in the installation, and I got a pop up window that said "First Defense-ISR requires that the Windows system volume be the boot volume". I clicked OK and the installation aborted. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what does that mean exactly? I didn't get that when I installed on my main computer. The computer in question is running XP sp3, and the main partition is the C drive, with a small D drive that stores the OS re-installation. Thanks in advance for any help. :)

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Me again. Can one of my fellow FD-ISR worshipers please answer my question in the above post? I know there are a few of you that have all the answers about FD-ISR. Thanks :D

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi twl845,

when FD-ISR complaints about "the Windows system volume be the boot volume" it means that the OS is not installed in the active primary partition.

Use a partition manager (for example Easus Home free, or Paragon PM Express) to make the main partition active.
    But before you proceed make an image.
    Also you must have a windows XP CD ready or the Paragon Rescue Kit 9.0 Express; you will have to fix the bootsector of the partition in case is missing.

hope it helps,
    Panagiotis

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Pandlouk, Thanks for responding. If I understand you correctly, the WinXP OS for re-installation is stored on the little D drive, and the OS XP program it installed is on the C drive, so in order for FD-ISR to install, the OS on the D drive has to be in the C drive with the XP program. Is that right?

5. pandlouk

You are welcome. :)
    Not exactly.
    On your d drive are installed the files that are necessary for booting/starting the XP, plus the recovery/installation program of the manufacturer.

"Active" is the partition that gets started during the boot. (the partition that contains the bootloader with the info where your OS/OSes are installed).

Panagiotis

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK I understand a little better now. This is my Daughters computer, so I don't think I should get into it, not being sure of myself. I could be sorry I started, if you know what I mean. Thanks for explaining it to me. :)

7. pandlouk

I think that it is worth trying. Changing the active partition and modifing the bootloader is easier than it sounds and is safe (no modification of the partitions takes place).
    If you like I can give you detailed instructions on how to do it (you won't have to install any third party program; the command interpreter (cmd.exe) of windows is enough).
    The only thing that you will have to do before starting, is to take an image of the disk.(for the very-very remote possibility that something goes wrong).

Panagiotis

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Pandlouk - That's very kind of you to offer. Please only send the instructions if it's not an inconvenience for you. As I'm not a computer techie, please dumb it down for me a bit. :D Thanks in advance. :)

9. pandlouk

Don't mention it. :)

Ok than here it goes.
    1st step:
    Take an image of your drive (with your favorite imaging application).
    Also I suggest that you download and make a cd of Paragon Rescue Kit 9.0 Express. It is a very nice tool and you can use it to fix boot problems etc.

2nd step:
    Go to the "Folder Options" and enable "show hidden files/folders" and disable "Hide protected operating system files".
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html
    Now check if in c:\ are the files "ntldr" and "boot.ini". If they exist you don't have to do anything. If you do not see them you will have to copy them from the d:\ to your c drive. (before proceeding further open "boot.ini" with notepad and post the contents here; maybe we will have to modify it a bit).

3rd step:
    Run the command prompt (cmd.exe).
    http://commandwindows.com/runline.htm

a. In the command prompt window, type:
    diskpart
    and press enter.

b. At the diskpart prompt, type:
    list partition
    and press enter. Make note of the number of the partition, that we want to mark as active.

c. After that type:
    select partition n
    (replace n with the number that you made a note of at the previous step) and press enter.

d. Then type:
    active
    and press enter.

e. Type
    exit
    and press enter.(You will have to repeat it 2-3 times to exit the diskpart prompt and the command prompt; I hate closing it with the "x" :p ).

4th step:
    Reboot and then install FD-ISR as usual. :D ;)

Panagiotis

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK thanks a lot! I'll get to it. My Daughter thanks you too. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.