small Prevx 3.0 RC test, perfect score!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ako, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ako

ako Registered Member

I did a small test. I installed Winpatrol and Prevx 3.0 RC. Then I started running 15 nasty malwares and exploits (flash,pdf). Prevx blocked all of them! Some were blocked with the new Web filter, some with heuristics. Winpatrol had nothing to do (only some active-x files were warned of). Cool! :thumb:

Attached Files:

2. ako

ako Registered Member

Two more figures. I didn't remove anything during infections. Here is scan of all infections.

Attached Files:

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

A question for Joe (or the staff :p)... with these "Caution" detections implemented, can one set Prevx to automatic operation (automatically block found threats) and will still be prompted on things like Community.Edge, etc.?

For Ako... :

1. You mentioned getting prompted on some Active X-files - what about them? I'm thinking about why that "slipped through" or something... did it pose any threat or what? :)

2. Was this test performed with a complete default installation? (No alteration to heuristics, including population, etc.)

4. ako

ako Registered Member

2. Maximum heuristics, that's what I'm using.
    1. I think the files are installed, but not run without permission. Right?. Most of them SEEM legitimate.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  5. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

It's likely that the files were copied into the system but probably were not allowed to load. If they are indeed legitimate (and nothing jumps out but filenames don't really mean much) and were installed "accidentally" when malware infected the system (i.e. if a page required a plugin), Prevx would still allow them to function.

One other semi-interesting technique which "might" be the case is the malware could be installing legitimate, but older, exploitable components of legitimate software. I've seen this a couple times but it is relatively rare (although interesting by itself :))

6. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Yes, the automatic answering affects only "hard" bads. Caution detections will still trigger a prompt unless you tick both "Automatically remove blocked files" and "Automatically block files when detected without prompting".

7. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Clever - yet somehow also a little cheeky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.