Proxomitron filterset

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Alcyon, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

A while ago, some people showed interest for my Proxomitron filterset so you can now grab it here:

http://drop.io/proxofilterset
    filename: Proxomitron.filterset.beta.v0.90830-ALC.zip

This is a beta filterset!

Remember: if a webpage isn't loading or its layout is broken, you can use the Proxomitron bypass option.
    Leave the Proxomitron Log Window closed unless you need to debug filters. Activated, the Log Window slows down web pages.
    Read howtoinstall.txt for installation instructions.

Screenshot: http://i27.tinypic.com/24d07dc.png

:)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  2. arran

arran Registered Member

Thanks Alcyon I shell give it a spin.

3. arran

arran Registered Member

out of all the proxomitron filter sets around I have tried this is the most user friendly, I can stream vids on you tube. this could be a replacement for admuncher.

Alcyon is it possible to create more rules to block OS information javascript sends.

Testing with http://browserspy.dk javascript reveals things like Date time, screen resolution. No Script blocks them, but if there can be xtra rules in Proxomitron may not need to use No Script any more.

4. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

Sure, it is possible. I plan to add more filters in a futur update.

You can even ask me to include your own filters ;)

5. arran

arran Registered Member

I don't have my own filters, I not have the technical knowledge to make them. When are you planning on a future update? can it include filters to block javascript from sending OS info?

6. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Proxomitrons default filterset has some of the filters you're asking about. You could copy out those filters and add them manually to the new set.
    Proxomitron JS.gif

7. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

This is not on my list of priorities but like noone_particular said, you could transfer the specific default filters and use them as a template to block the infos you want.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  8. arran

arran Registered Member

Alcyon can you post your rule set again? your home page seems to be down?

9. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

arran, everything is fine on my side. The web page isn't down.

10. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

but is true,,it was down.
    btw Alcyon...does your filterset allows javascript?..i ask becuase when i used to test proxomitron. i couldn't check my mail in hotmail or msn.

11. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

12. noone_particular

The original Proxomitron filters had global javascript filters. The javascript filters in Alcyon's appear to be site specific.

FYI, all Proxomitron filters are individually switchable, regardless of the filterset being used. When the desired content on a page doesn't load, open Proxomitron's log window and reload the page. The log window will identify every filter that's used on a given page. When a filter blocks something you want/need to see, just uncheck that specific filter and reload. You can also add sites that you don't want filtered to the "bypass" blockfile. The beginning of "bypass.txt" has instructions for adding sites, including the use of wildcards to broaden or narrow the range of filtered sites.

13. acuariano

hi noone and thanks for the answer.
    i use msn for mail,also hotmail
    and when you say add sites to bypass list..that leaves me unprotected by ads displaying.
    i asked the same question at proxomitron site.

14. noone_particular

When using a simple bypass such as msn.com, only the ads originating from msn.com will be unfiltered. Depending on the format of the ads url, they can still be filtered out while allowing the rest of the site. Example: you can allow MSN.com by adding it to "bypass" while blocking ads.msn.com with a "killfile" entry. The beginning of "killfile.txt" covers this and the use of wldcards. The proper use of the wildcards can block ads that originate from the same site you're trying to allow. With the right filters, Proxomitron can modify any page exactly the way that you want it. It's only limitations are the individuals writing and combining the filters.

Downloaded filtersets are OK as long as you remember that they match someone elses preferences. Like any type of default or replacement ruleset, they're a compromise. All of the different filtersets, Alcyon, Grypen, Sidki, JDlist, Andrew, etc have specific filters that I like and use, along with others that I don't. Short of writing all of your own filters, the best way to make Proxo filter the items you want is to download copies of all the filtersets you can find. Copy the individual filters from each that come close to doing what you want and combine them. Look closely at filters that use blocklists. You can make lists for anything that you want. I believe that there's 7 separate lists in the default set. By comparison, the JDlist filterset has 37 separate block/allow lists. The JDlist filters are old, from 2003 I believe, but are an education in themselves in custom filtering. The default filterset is much more flexible than many people realize. Many of its filters are not enabled by default. More than any other app I've tried, Proxomitron is very dependent on the skill of the user, especially their knowledge of HTML, javascript, etc. It's definitely not a "set and forget" program when web content and sites are constantly changing.

Alcyon, can probably make any specific filter you can think of, but it may not be suitable in a filterset for general use. In just this thread, you mentioned needing to allow javascript while another member asked about blocking javascript from sending OS info, which some sites insist on having before they'll work. Castle Cops used to have specific forums dedicated to Proxomiton filters. I don't know if anybody archived them before the forum closed. If not, a wealth of good information and filters were lost.

15. acuariano

yeah good info noone,,,that site is closed,and i know there ais a lot of reading for this program.
    and when cheking my mail in msn and hotmail,they ask for it -javascript-
    -i was asking for help in doing the sidki's config.,i could check my mail but i saw something like a toogle symbol...
    and i can see is a great program.
    i prefer to continue with privoxy,i can chewck my mail and when a flash ads tries to show is inmediatly block..
    i got to read more about it.

16. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

Privoxy is a much more regularly revised application that does the same thing, and has actual developers who are still living, unlike Proximitron.

17. noone_particular

I haven't used Privoxy so I can't compare them, but everything I've seen about it says it's also good. That said, frequency of updates is not a good indicator of an applications quality or viability. The Proxomitron executable itself needs no improvement or updating. The filtersets on the other hand do, and are still being maintained and developed by others. That in itself tells me that people knowlegdeable enough to write those filtersets feel that Proxomitron is worth maintaining and using. Proxomitron is one of those rare timeless apps that will remain viable until the structure of the internet itself changes. It's a shame that more software isn't designed that way.

18. inka

inka Registered Member

The prxbx forum is currently the best place to to find proxomitron answers/help.
    Still some activity on the YahooGroups "prox users" discussion group & a couple long-timers there who seem to patiently handle the neverending "feed a man a fish puhleeeeez" requests.

There's no magic bullet. No single proxomitron, or privoxy, filter will accomplish the desired result. Besides, many scripts are obfuscated... and many pages are served conditionally (your OS version is read from the user-agent request header before any content is sent).

Even with multiple filters (header and web filters) in place, if you *DO* manage to cover all the methods for various DOMs... the filters will damn sure render many pages (which contain common js libraries like jquery, scripaculous, etc) 'broken'.

Noscript is an even worse option, in terms of the false sense of privacy it fosters. Shockwave, Flash, Java, Silverlight -- each is a vector through which your OS/version etc can be (and certainly often is) discerned.

19. arran

arran Registered Member

Has anyone been able to successfully to get proxomitron to connect to SSH client to a proxy server?

I am trying to make my browser connect thru proxomitron which goes thru my ssh client to my proxy server.

localhost 3128 is what my browser would noramlly use so I presume localhost 3128 would go proxomitron and my browser would instead be set to localhost 8080?

Attached Files:

• prox.JPG
      prox.JPG
      File size:
      29.4 KB
      Views:
  20. nimd4

nimd4 Registered Member

Alcyon should know how, right?..:) You may need to use something like: OpenSSL for Windows

w/Grypen's SSLPack @
    Code:
    http://www.users.on.net/~grypen/Downloads/?C=M;O=D
    or @
    Code:
    http://www.leemingdesigns.com/Downloads/?M=D
    Unfortunately Grypen's work seems to have died along w/Castlecops :( JD's is still around, thankfully ( prxbx.com/forums/member.php?action=profile&uid=21 ). :)

P.S. 0k, so I need to learn how to read; hope this post doesn't go to waste, at the end of the day. :s

21. noone_particular

You might want to read this thread regarding using Proxomitron with another service. It may give you some ideas regarding how to accomplish it.
    Apps like Proxomitron and Privoxy have the ability to filter almost any web content that can be used to obtain system or private information. That said, configuring them to do so is a complicated task. It would require applying the default-deny policy to web content, everything blocked by default and allowed by exception on a per-site basis. A lot of websites would not work or display properly until the necessary exceptions were determined. It would require separate filters and site lists for each type of content, java, flash, individual JS functions, etc. This approach would work with sites that are used regularly but would be quite time consuming to set up. The permission lists would also require constant maintenance as the websites themselves change constantly.

It would be very impractical to use such a setup on sites you haven't visited before. With each filter addressing one specific method of obtaining one type of information, the law of diminishing returns definitely applies here. The privacy and security gains get smaller while the inconvenience costs increase. It would take a lot of work and knowledge to set up and a lot of dedication to maintain. It is theoretically possible to address every possible method of data collection with Proxomitron, but when the difficulty in setting up the needed filters is added to the inconvenience and time required to maintain the block and permission lists, it's just not practical or worthwhile unless you're completely obsessed with internet privacy.

22. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

This filter set is working great from what I can tell.

Can/should this set be merged with Sidki's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.