Prevx enough?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by rocky6, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocky6

rocky6 Registered Member

Does anybody feel that prevx and a good firewall like outpost or online armour is enough protection (and router)? My subscription to my antivirus is about to run out and funds are limited but could renew if needed. None of the freebies interest me just because as long as i work, i believe in paying if possible. I currently have avira paid but has never found anything. Only virus i've had in the last 7-8 years was 1 when i used kis, as my wife put it some hot dude wanted to be her friend on myspace so she clicked on his picture and kis reported a virus. All those kinda sites have now been banned. So besides that always reported clean. Avira nothing found for the last year. Besides my wife clicking on e-mail she probably shouldn't really no other bad surfing habits. Any opinions? I currently have those 2 firewalls already, i'm still deciding on which. Will probably be outpost since i have a lifelong subscribtion as long as it lasts and just 1 year on OA.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Yes, this should be enough. If you want to add something else, you could consider adding ThreatFire, which is free. Neil Rubenking at PC Magazine found the Prevx/ThreatFire combination particularly effective at blocking malware:-

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2347577,00.asp

As Prevx relies on an Internet connection, ThreatFire would also provide added protection for those occasions when you are not connected to the Internet.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

You still need an Av. I don't believe Prevx is meant to be used without an Av product.

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

You are undoubtably correct that Prevx has been deliberately designed to be compatible with other security programs for those users who want to use it in addition to an existing antivirus program. It can be used on its own though; in the end it comes down to user preference.

As rocky6 has said he has limited funds and is not interested in free versions of paid antivirus programs, he might be better off considering alternative solutions such as ThreatFire. Another possibility would be to consider using an antivirus program that has been intended to be free from the outset rather than a cutdown version of a paid product: e.g. Panda Cloud Antivirus or Microsoft's Morro when they are released.

5. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Prevx is enough:D .In my country,some antivirus fans tested this software.The rusult is good,it can defend some virus.In my view,HIPS can defend virus before it runs.If you didn't set your mind at rest,you can buy a antivirus software like AntiVir to check your computer when you don't use computer in weekend.

regards
    cqpreson

6. rocky6

rocky6 Registered Member

Yes, i have no problem using free products. I do have a problem using free products that have a paid version. I'm a consruction worker who busts his butt everyday just to get by. I'm sure some of these company's workers are in the same boat so my opinion is to buy if possible. My problem is i cannot afford to run 5-6 paid apps like i see some people running on this forum, nor do i have the desire too slow down my pc. So basically i should give up my favorite app in prevx and buy an av? I'm willing to pay for 1 or the other. Like i said i've not experienced alot of viruses and prevx is super light on my system. I guess my main question is how much is enough for your average joe without unlimited funds?I'm gonna try adding threatfire to prevx and op but will not use any free product with a paid version. Maybe drop prevx for av if you guys think thats the way to go.

7. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Hi,rocky6,you needn't give up your Prevx.You can let Antivirus software not run when you use computer and let Prevx protect your computer.And when you didn't use computer,you can call Antivirus software to check if your computer has virus:) .

8. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

It is true that Prevx is designed to work alongside a traditional AM/AV, however, you can also just use Prevx on its own and you will be okay.

I have used Prevx as my sole realtime AM for sone time now with no issues - but have has MSE installed alongside it for the last 2 days - and working fine

9. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I am currently running XP Home using Prevx with Sandboxie, Malwarebytes on-demand, and no third-party firewall (I'm behind a router).

No problems with malware and browsing is fast and trouble free using IE 7 or Firefox.

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I was hesitant at first of a layer approach, for me Prevx is the perfect light app for a layered approach without going crazily over the top.

11. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Personally, I wouldn't drop Prevx in favour of an AV. Prevx 3.0 is good enough to be relied on as a main defence, not just as a supplement to an AV. By all means add a free AV as well if you don't feel comfortable running without a conventional AV, but I don't think it would be worth paying for one. There would be a considerable overlap with Prevx, and the extra protection probably wouldn't be enough to be worth the additional cost of annual subscriptions to two paid anti-malware programs.

Assuming that you're running a 32-bit version of Windows, if you want to spend some extra cash to beef up your protection, you might be better off paying for Sandboxie if you don't already have it. It's a one-time lifetime license and is a superb browser protection utility.

Prevx, ThreatFire, Sandboxie, and a free AV (optional) would make a formidable combination.

12. benton4

benton4 Registered Member

Prevx works just fine on its own. You mentioned you were behind a router so between that and Prevx, you'll be fine, IMO.

13. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I have no qualms at all with using Prevx as my only detection/cleanup software in place of an AV. In fact, I have dropped using a traditional AV all together. From what you say in your post you are not a risky surfer to begin with so I think Prevx will give you all the protection you need. If you do occasionally surf in the Badlands, then I would consider a Sandboxing or Light Virtualization app, Returnil for example.

14. sded

sded Registered Member

I use a conventional AV with Prevx because I am not always connected to the internet; otherwise would be comfortable with Prevx alone. Out cruising on a boat, I get things via USB keys and CDs that could remotely contain viruses, and prefer to scan them right away with the latest available signatures. If you don't have a favorite, I would try the new Microsoft AV along with Prevx-I use Avast!, but most people have at least intermittent internet and should be updating their Windows OS anyway.

15. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

Would Prevx work with Panda CAV.
    They are both 'cloud' based when connected to web, but CAV has base sigs when disconnected.

16. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Can you explain more?

Are you referring to drive-by attacks that might occur in the Badlands?

Or choosing to download/install stuff encountered there?

thanks,

----
    rich

17. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

I saw some reports of hacking returnil and vm-ware so i wont say these programms are safe.

I would use a test maschine to surf in the badlands. Sandboxed WebBrowser for minimal protection and a fresh image in the backhand!

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Given the meat of the first post and in particular the questions\comments presented, I have moved this thread here to a more appropriate forum. Our Prevx Forum is just that, a support forum for Prevx and while Prevx is used in the title, the discussion would best be handled here.

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Would it be a good idea for Prevx to have a section of its forum devoted specifically to non-support discussions, just like in the Official Returnil Support Forum? :)
    General Returnil discussions
    Non-support Returnil discussions, feedback, and suggestions

20. gery

gery Registered Member

if i were to buy an AV i would go with either Dr Web which is only 22-24 $ or Aviraa premium which is really cheap or use Avira free .
    I think you must have another AV either free or paid

21. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I like and run Prevx 3, but I don't feel that it's ready to be the only active anti-malware on my system. With the setup that you propose, and to save money, choose a quality free AV/AM such as Avast! or AntiVir free, and you should be a happy camper. Nothing at all wrong with those two, and simply because they're free shouldn't be a reason to opt out from them. They also both run well with Outpost.

22. rocky6

rocky6 Registered Member

Thanks for your opinions. I've decided to renew Avira. I obviously bought the 3 user lisence last year when i only have 1 computer. So i bought the 1 user for 3yrs. this time and it's still cheaper than what i paid last year. I've only ever used norton and kaspersky before avira last year, i don't think they had a 1 user lisence that i remember. Is this option new to Avira or did i just miss it last year? Anyway thanks for opinions, Definately a much more affordable option for me to only have to pay that price every 3 years.

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Most people are connected when using their computers, and PREVX could be enough. What if there's a problem with their servers, or you are disconnected and plugging into your computer a friend or customer's infected flash drive (the most infected devices ever in my experience)? I really think something else should be there to support PREVX in such situations, and not necessarily an AV.

24. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Actually both, Rich. If you thought you might have been hit by a drive-by and it wasn't detected all you would need to do is dump the sandbox or reboot and if something did by chance get by Prevx it would be gone.

For the installs, Prevx Joe said that Prevx might not pick up on the file until it's executed so it is easy to test it out in the Sandbox or Virtual environment and if Prevx did alert on it you could dump the Sandbox or reboot and all would be well without your actual system being compromised. I usually do this with anything before I install it to the real system in case there are conflicts, etc. Not just because of a malware infestation. I do agree that a VM is the best way to do it but for the majority of users, this is over their heads. Dump sandbox or reboot they understand.

25. Someone

Someone Registered Member

I believe there's currently no malware which targets vulnerabilities in Firefox/Opera/etc so if you use an alternate browser you're safe against drive-by downloads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.