Cloned Drive, Drive does not read- BSOD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DNSsystems30, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DNSsystems30

DNSsystems30 Registered Member

I recently purchased Home 11 Edition. I needed to Clone an old drive from an old system to a new drive on a new system.

I cloned the drive everything went through without errors, then rebooted the system and it quickly displays a Blue Screen of Death, I am unable to read the error message.

Is this a driver issue, since the drives are from to seperate machines? How is fixable.

Both Systems have or had XP Pro

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

It could very well be a driver issue ... going to different hardware, you need to use the Workstation version of True Image (not the Home version) together with the extra cost add-on called Universal Restore. And you will need to use the Backup feature (not Clone) on the old system then the Recovery feature on the new system.

3. DNSsystems30

Thank You for the reply. What I only really needed was to transfer some programs from the old drive to the new one. I just figured cloning was easier

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I prefer to do a fresh install on a new system just to avoid the junk I no longer use, refresh my aging memory on how things get setup and avoid wondering if obscure problems that occur later are because I force-fit an old image on new hardware.

OTOH, people have successfully done it and without TI Workstation and Universal Restore.

Have a look at the Microsoft SysPrep documentation. It will help with PCI devices apparently.

You will probably have to do a Windows Repair.

On the old system change the video-driver to plain vanilla VGA. This gets the exotic video driver out of the picture.

Make an image of the old system.
    Restore the image to the drive on the new system and give it a try. Windows will complain and want to load new drivers for the different hardware.

I don't do it so I can't be more specific. You might try searching the forum for more info.

5. DNSsystems30

Thanks. The problem is that this system is not mine, the owner does not have the original CDs to any of the software on the old drive and they want the files transferred over to the new system.

Software like Microsoft Office, Corel x3.

I agree, I prefer to load from a vanilla base and build from there. Unfortunately the software is the main issue here

6. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

For transferring programs/software you need migrating software either pcmover or softrescue, they transfer the programs with all the registry entries and doesn't transfer the OS.
    True image can only backup and restore "program settings" of only certain programs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.