Very Slow Web Browsing with NOD32 V4

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by hawki, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I was not able to use my license for ESS V4 because ESS V4 somehow prevents my PC from connecting to the internet.

Sooooo I tried NOD32 with another firewall. My web browsing with Firefox 3.07 was sooooooooo slow I had to uninstall NOD32.

I had absolutely no problems with ESS V3. It ran flawlessly.

Not happy

Vista 64X
    Wired Cable Connection/ 32Mbps

2. pondlife152

pondlife152 Registered Member

Which firewall?

I had this same problem when I used Comodo. I've now got Agnitum Outpost running fine with NOD32 V4 and the browsing speed is fine.

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Works fine with my Comodo and other apps (In Signature but scratch OA) on XP Home SP3.

4. pondlife152

What version of Comodo? I was using CIS 3.8 without the Antivirus. I notice that your sig also contains "Threatfire". If you were also on CIS, did you have Defense+ disabled as Threatfire does a similar job? I only ask because I had Defense+ running, and I'm curious if this was conflicting with NOD V4 on my system.

Running Vista Home Premium 32bit /w SP1 btw. Don't know if you haven't has issues because you're on Win XP.

5. lifeinslowmotion

lifeinslowmotion Registered Member

i use eset antivirus v4 and comodo 3.8 and web browsing (i use firefox 3) works fine.
    comodo: firewall safe mode, defence+ clean pc mode and configuration proactive security.
    in eset antivirus setup > exclusions -> C:\Program Files\COMODO

running windows xp sp 3

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  6. ratchet

Comodo 3.8 without D+ and always use Ff. NOD is pretty much default, although I did disable scanning at boot. New sessions Sandboxed take six seconds to render a page and then another six for Ff/Sb to sinc (for a better word). Once you have a session started however, you fly from site to site. Not giving up Sb for several seconds!

7. hawki

hawki Registered Member

lol :) I am using Outpost.. What's your OS.. I am using
    Vista 64X SP1.

8. ratchet

XP Home SP3

9. pondlife152

Vista 32bit SP1.

BTW, I've turned the logging down on Outpost. It didn't seem to be slowing anything, but I was getting a lot of disc access. Now it could be that NOD is continually scanning these logs, so you could try excluding the logs from scanning in NOD or reducing the logging. Or both!

Yes, I found that FF3 seemed affected to a much lesser extent. The biggest slowdown I had was with IE7. Anyway, my setup seems okay now even with IE7.

10. Goooober

Goooober Registered Member

I actually had a similar issue with really slow browsing. I decided to uninstall Comodo firewall (latest version) and if that didn't fix then uninstall NOD32 ver. 4.

The problem was cured after uninstalling Comodo, so the problem was there, not with NOD.

Its very annoying because there aren't many 64bit free firewall available.

11. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

I have the same problem. Comodo alone works fine on my vista premium 32 sp2 and nod32 v4 alone works well too.

Once installed together firefox takes about 3 seconds to open a new tab. It's really not cool :-( As Comodo really rocks.

12. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

Did anybody find a solution yet?

I am running V3 now of EAV but wanna use 4.

Support of Eset gave me the advice of deinstalling the firewall. Basicly saying it's not their problem . :I wonder what they changed in V4 that it makes it impossible to use it. Cause V3 works great. They added a function that wasn't there yet in V3 . Wonder what it is.

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Maybe a problem with WFP introduced in Windows Vista and supported as of v4? There's a known problem with WFP when v4 is used in conjunction with Netlimiter, a workaround will be implemented in future versions. Maybe it will sort out this issue with Comodo as well, hard to say.

14. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

One thing I know is that when using EAV4 with Vista ( without SP2 and maybe even SP1 ) There is no problem at all.
    The difference has something to do with this I think.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3713/eavs.png

Once SP1 or SP2 is installed in Vista this option (screen) Is not available anymore and also there the problems start. Atleast for me.
    I hope Eset could fix this really.

In version 3 you can still configure this manually and it all works great.

Attached Files:

• eav.PNG
      eav.PNG
      File size:
      94.8 KB
      Views:
  15. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

So you've basically confirmed that it's a problem related to WFP.

16. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

I think so yeah :) hehehe . You think they will fix it?

17. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

Hi Marcos , did you check if there will be any solution for the problem??

18. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

You didn't answer me yet. But as you say here there might be coming a workaround.

Would that be in an update or will that be in Eset V5 ?

Also this issue is not only with Comodo. It is with Comodo, Online Armor, Pc tools, Private Firewall,etc.

I am kind of suprised nothing is done as those firewalls are really top products that Eset has conflicts with.

If I were a user who had one of these firewalls installed and then wanted to try out Eset in the form of a trial I would of course not want to use Eset if FF would be this slow. Cause it would look like Eset is causing the problem when FF worked fine without ESET.

I am now forced to use ESS but really I want to only use the AV and choose my firewall. Right now only the windows FW is possible :'(

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  19. ObsidianX

ObsidianX Registered Member

X2. The problem is with Nod32, not Comodo.

I was getting crazy high ping times with Nod32 64 bit and Comodo Firewall 64 bit installed, latest versions of both.

When I uninstalled either program, the problem went away .... except for Google Chrome. With Nod32 only, I still got crazy high ping times with Chrome. With only Comodo installed, everything is fast. Thus the problem is Nod32, not Comodo.

I tried to go to Protocol Exclusions in advanced setup, and there are no options available .... just a blank gray area where "Redirect traffic for checking for:" and three options are supposed to be.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

20. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

I am very suprised Eset didn't address this issue . Which seems to be something rather easy. Or something to change . Cause it's working with V3.

I mean I am sure many people wanna use EAV for AV and have their own firewall. I hope in the next update this will be fixed.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  21. SolidState

SolidState Registered Member

I would add an exclusion under "Web access protection" for any of the firewall's services or exe (Antivirus and antispyware-->Web access protection-->HTTP,HTTPS-->Web browsers ). You have to click the check box until a red X appears for it to be excluded. Use the add button if not is the list. I honestly believe the Nod32 HTTP protection sometimes messes with certain application even if it's not on ports 80, 8080 and 443. In my experience creating excludings for BOTH the files AND inside of "Web access protection" http protection is a MUST for compatibility issues where the application with the issue communicates or passes via proxy/firewall any HTTP/s traffic of any kind no matter what the port...

Solid-State

PS By the way I use Outpost Pro latest build and have no HTTP/s issues speed or otherwise... owhh AND I'm running SAS with it's protection and HTTP proxy so it's going through two HTTP proxy/filter/protection and no HTTP slowdowns what so ever here... I'm on XP pro though LOL

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  22. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

Did u try it out?

Sorry cause installed & deinstalled Eset a 1000 times to find out nothing works :) :D

So just wanted to make sure lol

23. SolidState

How can you complain about this when now version 4 has settings for that for each exe/service and not global like before! It's right there under
    Antivirus and antispyware-->Web access protection-->HTTP,HTTPS-->Web browsers and the equivalent of each of the radio buttons in ver 3 is box unchecked, box checked and box with a RED check... correction this is totally out to lunch as Protocol Filtering is a separate setting though I can't help but wonder if setting it to just application and not ports and application might help some people.

Solid-State

PS Eset you need to change the description for this setting from "web browsers" to web http/s applications or something to that affect as it's confusing people as it's not exactly "web browser" specific but an application that uses HTTP display/UI or communication

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  24. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

Well it's nice that some random someone explains it to us. Honestly it should just work by default. Not everybody knows how to work these kind of things.

When I wrote Eset their advice was to deinstall the conflicting firewall. I wish they told me what you are telling me.

So by doing this it won't make my PC less secure ( sorry another Noob question)

Anyways although maybe your way will work I still think it's wierd it doesnt function by default like V3 .

25. SolidState

Hey man if your cheap you can get Outpost Pro for a lifetime for about 60 bucks... other than that your like an AVG user man... refusing to pay for DECENT software and complaining when it doesn't work... dude it's FREE WHAT DO YOU EXPECT! DON'T BE A CHEAPSKATE! ;)

Solid-State

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.