True image 10 - Turn off after backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by peter7769, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter7769

peter7769 Registered Member

Hi All

i was wondering if anyone can help, i use true image 10 and its saved my life lots of times, but i was wondering can anyone tell me how i can set it so that once its finished a backup that i have scheduled it turns off the pc?

i normally have the backups scheduled to happen at night and it would be so nice to have this turn off facility.

Thanks in advance

Pete:)

2. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Hi Pete,

see manual chapter "5.3.3 Pre/post commands".

When you crate a task you will be asked to use default backup options or to modify them.

Chose 'modify' (I have a German edition and don't know the English names) and go to 'pre/post-commands'.

Here you can invoke a batch file as a post-command which contents the shutdown statement.

If you need help for shutdown statement please post again.

3. peter7769

"If you need help for shutdown statement please post again."

Hi There, yes if you could help with this then that would be fantastic as im afraid its a bit beyond me o_O

Pete

4. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Peter,
    In order to get your computer to shut down after your backup validation process, please do the following:

-Open notepad and paste in this syntax: %SystemRoot%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0 .The 0 at the end of this command line is the number of seconds it takes the computer to shutdown by itself.
    -Change the 0 at the end of the command line for the number of seconds it takes to do your regular backup(+the validation process) so that your computer may stay awake until the end of the validation process.

This change is needed because of an Acronis bug that will shut down the computer right after the backup process instead of doing that after the validation process.

-Save it with a .bat extension.When setting up your scheduled task,select ''define options manually '' instead of ''default options'' (exact wording may differ as my ATI is in French).In your post command process box ,retrieve this .bat file to make it part of your scheduled task.

5. peter7769

Thanks very much for that, do you know if they are going to fix the bug??, also i take it then that if it takes 4 hours to back up and validate then i would put 14400 at the end??

Thanks again for your help

Pete

6. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Peter,
    Yes, Acronis will fix this bug one of these days,It's just a matter ok knowing when.:D
    In your particular case ,14400 is the right number .Allow enough time,though ,in case some thing hangs or changes along the way.It won't cost you anymore and it's safer.

7. LSHorwitz

LSHorwitz Registered Member

Thanks for providing this information, as I am also trying to do the same thing.

I am confused by one recommendation:

If the Post Command is executed AFTER the backup process has been performed, isn't the wait time needed ***zero*** seconds until shut-down? Why would a wait of 14,400 seconds be performed ***AFTER*** the 4 hour backup is complete?

Many thanks for clarifying this.

Larry

8. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Larry,
    The reason is that the countdown runs from the moment the scheduled task is launched!!!

9. LSHorwitz

Thanks for replying! Then why is the command a "post" command versus a "pre" command? I would have guessed that "post" commands would execute ***AFTER*** the backup job was completed, but apprently this is not the correct interpretation.

Thanks once again,

Larry

10. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Larry,
    Please bear in mind that this is a Windows command integrated in Acronis, not an Acronis command.
    Therefore, it works independently from the Acronis process.It's just a workaround to overcome a technical problem caused by an Acronis bug.

11. LSHorwitz

Thanks once again. I now think I understand. Does this mean that the same command, if executed as a "pre" rather than a "post" command would still cause the shutdown to occur at the very same time?

Thanks once again and sorry for my confusion!

Larry

12. LSHorwitz

And yet another question just came to mind in addition to the reply I just posted........

Is there another option rather than using the executable shutdown.exe, such as sleep.exe to not do a complete shutdown?

Thanks once again,

Larry

13. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Larry,
    I would be inclined to say yes.
    I rely on you to try and tell us.:D
    If you use this command:%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe PowrProf.dll, SetSuspendState,the computer should go to sleep,after the backup.But I do not know how to set it up to delay the sleeping time after the validation process, due to the Acronis bug.
    I would suggest you modify this command and try something along from the previous shutdown command.:eek:

14. LSHorwitz

Thanks babac, and I have some progress to report:

Per your earlier instructions, I first created a batch file with the post command shutdown.exe -s -t 120 and set up a short backup.

When the backup job was executed, it went to completion, and then, ***after*** it completed, a window came up with the message showing that a shutdown had been scheduled. I did a screen capture and have attached the image to show uyou what this looked like.

It appears for this simple trial that the shut down delay is counted from when the backup finishes, rather than starts. If this is the case, I should be able to do a "sleep" / suspend, since I could not find any a way to pass a time delay argument into the SetSystemPowerState Function, but would not need one if the command itself executes after the backup is finished.

Any thoughts on what I am seeing here?

Many thanks,

Larry

Attached Files:

15. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Larry,
    What you're saying is quite possible as some have already reported what is happening to you.It would appear that this behavior varies with the type of OS, Acronis version and the like.

In your case,I would think that you may send your computer to sleep whitout any alteration to the command lines I provided you with.

I know another command line to make it sleep but I don't remember the difference between both :rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

16. LSHorwitz

Thanks again babac,

I am now using SetSuspendState and this Vista 32bit machine now hibernates. This is probably my best choice for how I want the machine to behave when the backup is completed.

Thanks very much for getting me and others fixed up here.

Larry

17. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Larry,
    You're welcome.
    As they say in this country :''Babac is a good Jack'' ;)

18. LSHorwitz

In my country they would say: "Babac is a very well informed, extremely helpful Jack!". Thanks again.....

Best,

Larry

19. CAOgdin

CAOgdin Registered Member

20. LSHorwitz

Very nicely done script Carol and thanks for posting !

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.