Office bloat and alternatives

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kerodo, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I've been an MS Office user since Office 97, but each time they put out a new version, it does sadly seem to be more bloated and slower. I currently have Office 2007, and now am wondering if there is something light and free I can use. I know there is Open Office, which I like also, but somehow even that seems a bit bloated. Am I wrong there?

My needs are simple .doc file editing, Excel spreadsheet editing and the need to view .pps files. Nothing fancy at all. Just need the MS Office compatability.

Google Docs seems interesting, yet somehow that doesn't appear to be what I need, as I don't need to share documents online with others, and I prefer to keep my docs on my own HD and not Google's servers.

Is there anything else besides OO thats free? Or is OO not bloated? From recent usage of it in Linux, it does seem to be getting there slowly too. I am talking apps for Windows Vista x64 also. Free is what I want...

I think OO is probably it right?

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi Kerodo.

I have to agree.

AbiWord is a fairly decent word-processor, pretty light and free. But if you're looking for a full Office compatibility (docx, xlsx, and such) I don't think even the major contender, OO, gives this. Try it, at least. PowerPoint Viewer (courtesy of Microsoft) is free for PPT viewing only, not sure about the bloat there. And wait for more comments on Excel alternative, I don't know that.
    (Sorry for not providing you with links, this was just a quick post).

Cheers,

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks Seer, yes, I am familiar with Abiword, forgot about that. Thanks.... I'd need an Excel alternative then I guess. You're correct also on the PP Viewer from MS. That might do also. If I have to use OO to get the Excel capability, then I guess it will have to be OO though...

4. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

OO is very good. But that does nothing to improve upon the "bloat" that MS Office is. In fact, Oo_Org is actually larger (2.4 and 3.0). I have been toying around with the latest version of Ability Office. It is only 80 meg installed. I must admit I like it very much. It has Writer, Presentation, Database, Spreadsheet, Draw, and Photopaint. It is compatable with every MS Office format As much as I like Oo_Org, there are elements of it that I couldn't stand. Ability has the ability (see what I did there :)) to completely change gui theme and offers everything the average user could want. While I will miss Oo_Org extensions (pdf editor in particular) I think I'll stay with AO.

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

This is the same as the Ashampoo Office 2006. It is light ans works pretty well although I am not sure it has all the Office 2007 bells and whistles.

http://www.softmakeroffice.com/

TextMaker for Windows
    The Microsoft Word-compatible word processor that is so easy to use that you will wonder why you bothered with Microsoft Word or OpenOffice.org for so long.

Fast, powerful, reliable.

Reads and writes your Word documents seamlessly (Microsoft Word .doc 6.0 to 2007)

Comes with all features that you expect from a high-end word processor

Many useful helpers – for example, SmartText: just type "lax", and "Los Angeles" appears in your document

Built-in database, mailmerge that's as easy as pie – and much, much more

PlanMaker for Windows

The Microsoft Excel-compatible spreadsheet that opens all your Excel workbooks directly and gives you many time-saving features.

Fast, powerful, reliable.

Reads and writes your Excel files seamlessly (Microsoft Excel .xls 5.0 to 2007)

More than 320 calculation functions

Design your worksheets with colors, fonts, borders, pictures, drawings, AutoShapes, WordArt etc.

Built-in Excel-compatible charting

Conditional formatting, syntax highlighting, goal seeker, sheet and workbook protection – and much, much more

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I used to use Google docs when I was in college and you don't have to share anything, it's just an option. Also, you can import and export .xml, .doc, .txt, .pdf files to and from you local HD. So you don't really have to keep them stored on the Google server. Just create/edit your doc, export it to your HD, and delete from Google server/

http://documents.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=40609

8. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

MHO: OO is the only serious contender app that meets your criterion.
    Bloated? Using Star Office here. With StarOffice Calc and StarOffice Writer both running using 15Mb mem (working set).
    I like Gnumeric, but on XP Pro here, printing is more than problematic, rendering it virtually useless.
    Then there is IBM Symphony, but talk about bloated....

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks everyone, I am leaving work now and will start checking some of these out when I get home tonight, great suggestions, and thanks to all!

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Has anyone got a comparision chart between openoffice and staroffice?
    thanks in advance
    lodore

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. n8chavez

Staroffice 9 will be released tomorrow, as far as I understand. It will be based off of the Oo_Org 3.x code. But, for those that are interested in Oo_Org, please try out Go-oo. It is based on Oo.org 3.x but it is better in almost every way; better import filters, lighter, faster load times, etc.

14. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I would also have offered GOoo, seems good here on MS and Linux.
    Agree that the Office 2007 has been a 're-learning' experience, never mind the backwards compatability and all my spreadsheets being turned inside out at first view: one of those Ooohhh F@@@ccckkk moments. :D

15. Arup

Arup Guest

My vote would be for Abiwords or Googledocs.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, this has been a very informative thread for me.... many things to look at. I just put on MS Live Mail, which is pretty light and snappy. It appears to be more or less the old Outlook Express which turned into Windows Mail I guess, with a facelift. But it sure is a better performer than Outlook 2007. I am a die hard Outlook fan, but not at the expense of performance and overall speed. Anyway, trying Live Mail for a while to see how I like it.

I will give Google Docs a try also, since it may do what I need, and my needs are minimal. If I can get away without installing anything, that's even better for me.

Don't ask me why I'm on this go light kick, but with Vista x64 is seems to be paying off. Also, if I really do need the full MS Office with Access and everything else, I have that on the work laptop, so no loss if I don't have it at home.

Thanks again to everyone for all the responses and info, I appreciate it a lot.

17. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Kerodo have you tried Kingsoft Office 2009?
    It has the same familiar interface with microsoft office 2003, great combatibility and a usefull export to pdf feature (without the need of a virtual printer).
    It is free for home users.

Panagiotis

18. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Also try the new lotus symphony.

19. tpeter

tpeter Registered Member

SoftMaker is the one I went with, after trying everything under the sun (no pun intended). Fast, small download, real compatible with DOC and XLS. SoftMaker Office 2006 impressed me so much that I consider upgrading to their for-pay 2008 version.

20. norky

norky Registered Member

I dont see how OO is bloated when you can choose what to install.

21. n8chavez

It's bloated (now) because the default installation directory is nearly 400 meg.

22. Long View

Long View Registered Member

If you already have Office 2007 is it really worth all the trouble to go for some imitation program ? Is 300 or 400 meg on a hard drive all that important anymore ? without outlook I can't see the point in changing.

23. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Not bad at all.
    SO8 here. Total = 1.38 GB
    StarOffice 8\program = 954 MB
    Help files (english only) = 166 MB

24. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Office 2003 FTW!!:D

25. n8chavez

There's something wrong with your installation. I've used SO 8 or a long time and it was never that large. My installations were roughly 350 meg, and everything was installed and worked fine. My guess is that you are installing the various updates from Sun. If that is the case then you have numerous repetitive files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.