How to ensure a THOROUGH removal/uninstall of NOD32 AntiVirus 3?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ralliart12, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralliart12

ralliart12 Registered Member

Hi fellows. I've been trying out the trial version of NOD32 Antivirus 3 for a while now, & unfortunately has also ran into the "updates-no-longer-coming-in-but NOD32-still-reports-update-unnecessary" issue. Now, I'm looking forward to uninstall & remove the suite completely from my system in order to move to another antivirus software.

After scouring the forums & Eset's knowledgebase, may I know if the following procedures are thorough enough?:

1. Use Windows' Add/Remove to uninstall the main Eset program 1st

2. Reboot system

3. Find and delete the following registry keys:
    -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESET
    -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET
    -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runegui

4. Navigate to the C:\WINDOWS\inf folder and delete the INFCACHE.1 file.

5. Restart the computer again.

6. delete the following folders:
    -C:\ProgramFiles\ESET
    -C:\Documents and Settings\AllUsers\Application Data\ESET
    -C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\ESET

Is the above thorough enough?

a. Do I still need to invoke services.msc to deactivate anything?
    b. Wat's the "INFCACHE.1" file for?

Thanks in advance, I hope to do this as completely as possible as I'm moving to another antivirus software as I'm unimpressed with the recent update fiasco.

2. Kayracc

Kayracc Registered Member

google for 'revo uninstaller' it's a free uninstall, run revo, then use it to remove eset, it will create a system restore point(incase something goes wrong), it will then run the built in uninstaller, don't restart after it's done say 'no i'll do it later' then revo will scan your registry/harddrive, make sure to select the most 'aggressive' one(i haven't tested it on anything less), it'll find a few registry keys, and a few files/folders

worked like a charm for me :)

-Brian

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's a matter of fact that v3 users might have been delayed a bit only during the first 1-2 days after the large update for v2 users. If you've been having problems updating v3, it must have been caused by another problem not connected to the update servers as such. We'll need to check your configuration to make sure you have all the update parameters set up properly.

4. ralliart12

ralliart12 Registered Member

I appreciate that u're well-intent, even though I have seen this "template response" all over those threads with updating issue. Anyway, I can't PM u yet, due to the forum rules, so please do guide me as to the necessary registry exportation and update config files that I'll have to email u, & I'll comply accordingly.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hi ralliart12,
    PM sent (you'll be able to send PM as of now). Actually, from the configurations I've looked at so far none of the update problems was caused by our servers, but there was a different problem, such as update profile misconfiguration, expired license, etc. Yeah, I use these words as a kind of template because I'm familiar with the status of the update servers and have made some tests myself - the servers have been fully serving v3 users as of the date when the large update was released. If there were connection problems, we would have seen that on our servers. If there was a specific update problem, it must have been caused by something else than by overloaded update servers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.