Finally CA has released an updated version of Tiny

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Roberteyewhy, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Now compatiable with Vista and W2K8 Server.

Installed today the HIPS only on Vista Ultimate 32 and it is more than previous versions but at it's core, it is still the same as Tiny v126. However, it now comes with the newest SNORT rules.

So far only get some script errors and you still have to do a backup and then download the full IDS file then import it into the backup and restore. Took me awhile to figure out but to get it to work you have to change the file from IDS_I forgot.xml to IDS.xml or it will not work. Don't know why CA did not fix this and just have it when you install the HIPS. But, you do not need to replace the .dll file to have Tiny see the Backup's.

You have to either register or be invited as I was to test the program as in first stage of Beta testing. Although, on CA's Beta testing site it is still "Beta Not Started."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  2. Roberteyewhy

More pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

No thanks anything that CA touches,I would not touch with a ten foot pole.:thumbd:

4. noway

noway Registered Member

Thanks for the screenshots.

5. guest

guest Guest

its look likes zonealarm gui.

interesting.

6. Roberteyewhy

Update:

1) Event Log starts much faster than before (2 seconds).

2) Content Filter (Web Privacy) cannot be configured to NOT monitor in Event log. So too much entries.

3) Enrollment of applications for some Windows components are shown as .dll's instead of .exe's.

4) Enrollment through Event log of Window specific programs (xxx, xxx, xxxx, xxx, xxxx, etc.) are dll's and are bunched together instead of individually. Thus making the "My Applications" section hard to read and cannot be resized.

5) GUI of Admin Center is a little off.

6) To many types of predefined groups and I do not know what restrictions/allowed per group. Nothing but the old rules in "System Privileges" and "Active Guards".

7) Cannot move the Network Interface into the "Dangerous Zone". Always in the "Safe Zone".

:cool: In "Reports>Events" the ability to edit a rule has been removed.

9) Ability to create rules directly from the "Activity Monitor" is still there.

10) Connections within the "Activity Monitor" is still updated in real time.

11) Had BSOD with Avira which was installed yesterday. Had to get into "Safe Mode" to stop the service. Re-enrolled and so far ok. None with Norton 2009, AVAST, or AVG (YMMV). Will try NOD v3 and KAV later.

12) No other Blue Screen.

13) May install W2K8 Enterprise and see how Tiny works on it.

14) Still the same. When you use the "Apply until Application Ends" and you close it and start it up again, Tiny pops up. Not like every other Firewall that I have tried where it just let's it run or go to the Interent.

15) 5 Services running. HIPS Configuration Interpreter, HIPS Event Manager, HIPS Firewall Helper, HIPS Harness EventLogger and HIPS Policy Manager.

16) Task Manager shows amon.exe at 10k and FWtray.exe at 1k.

The rest works the same as far as I have gone. As for the Zone Alarm like GUI it can be changed. But yes, that's what we all said when it was first introduced way back when.

Will have to post on DSLreports to come here as many old Tiny users are on that forum.

Attached Files:

7. Roberteyewhy

New "Application Repository Rules" section. This is where the learning curve will be! What to put in and where. Just like before with the Beta testing, if you put in something in the wrong location, Windows may not even load or other extreme problems.

Attached Files:

8. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

CA should have had the final of this out years ago.

9. Diver

Diver Registered Member

If you want to spend a lot of time and effort on your firewall, this is the one for you. Ordinary people need not apply.

10. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

From memory tiny worked ok and was tweakable for those who wanted to get into the details.

11. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Yup old Tiny user here (use to spend a lot of time with this one) as well as trying this CA version which is constantly improving.

12. Morthawt

Morthawt Registered Member

Interesting, could you please explain why you would not touch it with a ten foot pole? Your statement is a little vague, and i would like to know the reason for this statement, otherwise its meaningless. Is it the company? and if so whats the reason?

Thanks

13. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Yes The last Time I tried CA On two different occasions with XP first was BSOD at a latter a BSOD and a nightmare to remove. It was like a virus from hell and I am not the only to experience this.The worst experience ever for me in ten yrs short of formatt.Thats very meaningfull enough for me.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i had same problem but in my case was with tinyfirewallo_O bluescreen

15. Roberteyewhy

Very true! Remember, still in the very beginning stage of BETA so...

As did I. Good to know.

Problems:

1) "File Protection>Simple Rules" do not work. If I make a rule it does not show up and is not hidden except for the apps I choose. However, in the "Expert Rules" it will be there albeit with 2 rules. Before, it would show up in "Expert Rules" as "Simple Rules cannot be edited here" and Explorer could not see the <whatever> I choose to hide.

2) "Network Protection>Local Rules" the "Loopback rule" does not work. When I set it to "Ask User" I get no alert at all. Before, would get them immediately. This would make no difference if my Network Interface was in "Safe Zone" or "Dangerous Zone".

I have submitted ALL the bugs I have listed and will continue to update CA when I find them. I do hope they will listen to everyone that submits a bug...like Tiny Software developers did when we beta tested for them.

"Applications>Application Depository Rules" are still being tested. The rest all work as before as far as I can tell.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  16. Nizarawi

Nizarawi Registered Member

any link for try this prog :doubt:

17. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

18. xuesisi

xuesisi Registered Member

where is the link to download ?

19. xuesisi

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CA\HIPSEngine\RevertCache\GroupParams]

this will repair it

???.jpg

7) Cannot move the Network Interface into the "Dangerous Zone". Always in the "Safe Zone".

just move it

Snap1.png

Snap2.png

and some problems can,t repair

1.jpg

...etc

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  20. Roberteyewhy

I do not know what you are referring to.

Are you saying that when you move your Network Interface to the "Dangerous Zone" it remains there? Because, mine does not. It just goes back to the "Safe Zone".

From what I see, you are able to create rules in the "File Protection>Simple Rules"? I can create a rule, but like I said, it does not show up in the "Simple Rules" like it used to. When I create a rule from the "Simple Rules" it only shows up in the "Expert Rules" and it now shows 2 rules instead of "Simple rules cannot be edited here" like it used to.

If you can create a rule from "Simple Rules" and it shows up in there then make a rule and hide the <whatever> and do not allow Explorer to have access and see if it is hidden.

"File Protection>Simple Rules>Predefined Objects>Add New Object" add whatever and then go back to "Simple Rules" and make a new "Hidden Object" rule and "By ID" or "By name" anything but Explorer and see if it is hidden like it used to be.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  21. xuesisi

Snap2.png

Snap1.png

this bug

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CA\HIPSEngine\RevertCache\GroupParams]

22. Roberteyewhy

Got it. Had to create the last 2 keys but that fixed the error message.

I do not know why CA took out the Enable Loopback in the Event Viewer options.

Please let me know the answer about the last 2 questions in my post above yours.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  23. xuesisi

there should be somthing wrong

er. I can create rules from "Simple Rules"

any download link ? and what,s ur ver ? 1.5.0.260 ?

24. Roberteyewhy

CA HIPS r8.1 Beta version 1.5.256 on Vista Ultimate 32. Where you getting the 1.5.0.260 from? This is not the same as the one that can be downloaded from CA HIPS r8 official site.

25. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Yaay... Tiny FW is back, I missed you...

I know this is dumb, but does anyone know if CA HIPS 8.1 will be integrated into the other CA suite, like the CA Internet Security Suite ??

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.