Outlook Express won't work with Nod32 installed

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by dalehogs, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dalehogs

dalehogs Registered Member

Hello,
    Twice in the last month I've built a new pc with XP Home Service Pack 3, and upon installing Nod32 V3, Outlook Express will not work. When I try to open OE, I just get a quick error sound from Windows and OE will not open. At one point, I did disable the Email scanner option and then OE would work- but that's useless as emails need to be scanned in real time by my clients.

Unfortunately, with both systems, I had to uninstall Nod32 and go with a different AV, as the clients did have time for me to mess around with their systems and I could not afford to chance sending the pc's out without a proper AV in place.

Both systems were Intel based, and no other apps installed except Winpatrol when Nod32 was installed. One pc used the DG33 Intel motherboard and the other used the DP35 Intel board- both have 2 gigs of KINGSTON RAM as well as the Intel E6550 cpu.

I really love NOD32, but obviously I need to figure out how to get Outlook Express in XP Home SP 3 to work with it on my builds. Thanks.

2. Pink Lodestar

Pink Lodestar Registered Member

I just had my pc rebuilt and have downloaded SP 3 from Microsoft because my problems started with this upgrade. With Windows XP2 I had no problem installing NOD32 and it was automatically configured to work with Outlook Express. Even so I followed all the steps outlined by BlackSpear for maximum protection. Did you identify the outgoing mail server within the Advanced Settings which you toggle on? OE works with NOD32 installed; it just takes some time and patience to configure. Too bad you didn't have the time. Your clients would have been happy; it is not a fancy resource hog.

3. denvig

denvig Registered Member

I get the same thing with a flash of the opening OE logo screen but if I open OE a second time it will open OK. Then if I close and continue to do other things and go back to OE the same thing starts all over again. Can someone tell me how to correct this (step by step)?

Thanks
    Dennis

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

What "builds" do you have installed ?

5. dalehogs

dalehogs Registered Member

I have more pc's to build for clients that will use the same main components as the pc's I've had issues using NOD32. So therefore, I'd like to resolve this so as to use NOD on those builds.

I will make sure of the advanced setting for outgoing email being checked. Any other tips?

Since Dennis is having same issue, seems like I'm not alone here.

Dennis, what are your system specs, including motherboard and cpu make and model?

6. denvig

denvig Registered Member

This machine is a little older P4 2.8GHz /800 MHz with Intel D865GBFL MB 1MG DDR 400 Running XP Pro

However I just downloaded and installed the Latest Version 3.0.669.0 and this may have fixed the issue. I will give it some time to see.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  7. denvig

denvig Registered Member

I guess the update worked. Everything seems to be working great.

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It'd be interesting to know what version you had installed before as nothing like that was fixed in the recent versions.

9. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I don't know if this is a related issue but but I wanted to bring this up since it is a topic directly relating to current Windows updates and I have never had this type of serious problem with Windows XP updates or service packs ever before (in seven years of updating XP Pro). I use NOD32 v2, ZAP 7.x and a few other security programs... running on Windows XP Pro SP2. I have not updated yet to SP3.

When the Windows XP auto updates downloaded I installed them as usual. When the system rebooted my desktop took an eternity to come up. When I tried to use any program (FF, OE, IE, etc.) to connect to the internet the system seemed to sort sluggishly hang up. My internet connection also appeared to be broken. I was finally able to reboot the system but the problems were still there. I had to do a system restore to an auto restore point from yesterday. After the restore things are working normal again.

The updates that messed up my system were.... security update KB951748 and Malicious software removal tool which is update KB890830. I have no idea if any of my security software (which includes NOD32 v2.7x) is conflicting with the updates or visa versa. I am wondering if anyone else has had problems with these most recent XP updates.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The update that is causing problems for ZA users, in particular version 7 it appears, is the KB951748 update.

For further discussion, Please hop over to that ongoing thread.

discussed here---> Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB95174:cool: and Zone Alarm

11. SoCalReviews

Thank you for the information. It very well could be a ZA related conflict. I will check out that thread regarding this issue. I will also be curious to learn if that particular Windows XP security update ( KB951748 ) is the fix for that serious DNS security flaw that has been reported recently in the general media.

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Yes it is.

13. SoCalReviews

Thanks for that information. I thought it might be the one. It seems that MS urgently pushed that fix as an automatic update before allowing the software companies to fully test it for compatibility.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  14. denvig

denvig Registered Member

Now that I have installed this version I'm not sure which version it was. I purchased it last Saturday at a retail (MicroCenter) and installed off the CD. I can't seem to find any version number or date on the box other than V3.0. However the update did indeed fix the issue. I should also mention that I have service pack 3 installed on the XP

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  15. twodogs44

twodogs44 Registered Member

I have both of them running and have no problems.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.