Conflict: PC Translator & ESS 3.0.657

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by pegas, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pegas

pegas Registered Member

The Changelog says:
    · Fixed incompatibility with PC Translator software

It's a bad joke, indeed.

Today morning installed v657 over v650, it went without problem and it seemed me that everything's OK until I tried to run PC Translator & Dictionary. Since then it was giving a message ""Windows can't use this device, path or file. You don't have required permissions" (this message might be different on english version of XP SP3. This is just a translation from Czech).

So I ghosted back to XP SP2 with v650 installed where PC Translator worked, slowly compared to other softs but yet worked. Now really keen to hear from ESET specs how to proceed.

BTW, my problem is probably of the same nature as Jeccu describes with jv16 PowerTools a few threads below.

Any1?

regards,
    pegas

2. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Re: Conflict: jv16 PowerTools <--> ESS/NOD32 3.0.657

Unfortunately my problem with PC Translator remains regardless the runtime packers are on or off. The only clue is to have excluded it :(

3. pegas

pegas Registered Member

While ESET has been enjoying sunny Sunday :p , I played around with ESS trying to pinpoint problem with PC Translator and I HAVE GOT IT!

The advanced heuristic is the culprit!!! If it is on the PC Translator never start but when it's off it starts and runs.

So, ESET do your homework as soonest :D .

4. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Glad to hear you managed to find a workaround, pegas. :)

But, boy, this was weird; rp interfered with jv16 and SIW while ah is still interfering with PC Translator. Just out of curiosity, did you uncheck ah in "Real-time file system protection" setup or uncheck ah under "Additional ThreatSense parameters...."? Frankly, I'm not sure what the difference is.

5. pegas

pegas Registered Member

OK, let's sum up:
    1) XP pro SP2 but experienced this problem also on SP3.
    2) In detail settings, AV and AS, Resident File Protection, ThreatSense settings and there rp on and ah off. In a such way the PC translator works. BUT if ah is on, regardless on rp, the translator doesn't start. Other option to get him work is to have ah on and put the translator into exceptions.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Have you tried deleting the content of the system temp folder? I've had a similar problem and doing so did the trick.

7. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I am using CCleaner which cleans also temp folders. So do you mean any particular folder?

8. Marcos

Please check all folders where both the system and user temp/tmp variables point to:

Attached Files:

9. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thx Marcos all temp/tmp cleaned but no effect :( I am almost sure it has to be in core of v657.

10. Marcos

Just to make sure, does the problem persist with default ESS settings?

11. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I did a reset to default settings and PCT worked but once applied the advanced heuristic in Resident File Protection, ThreatSense settings it got back to non working status. I traced down influence of other ESS settings but it turned out that only ah is affecting running of PCT.

12. Marcos

This is not an issue. Enabling advanced heuristics results in higher delay when accessing runtime archives.

AH should be configured as shown below:

Attached Files:

• ah1.jpg
      ah1.jpg
      File size:
      35.8 KB
      Views:
    • ah2.jpg
      ah2.jpg
      File size:
      79.9 KB
      Views:
  13. pegas

pegas Registered Member

OK Marcos, in this configuration it works but how can you justify that in v650 PCT worked even with enabled AH in ThreatSense engine parameter setup?

Moreover if the shown configuration is the correct one, I don't understand why it is not set under the default ESS settings.

14. Marcos

Could you upload the file in question somewhere so that I could check it with v. 3.0.650? If it was fully updated, the advanced heuristics module should be same as in v. 3.0.657 so the scan time should be basicly same.

The settings shown above are default (except that it shows the real-time protection disabled).

15. pegas

pegas Registered Member

FINALLY SOLVED!

After having been playing with ESS settings a lot without success, I turned attention to PCT itself and upgraded from 2005.40 to 2005.70. Now PCT works with AH enabled :cool: .

thx Marcos for your assistance but recommend you keep an eye on v657 though :D .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.