Which security suite for my parents?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Defcon, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I need to send my parents some security software which they can start using, and so my choices are limited by the following restrictions :-

1. must be friendly for non technical users (no unnecessary prompts, works silently)
    2. auto updating
    3. easy for them to install
    4. would prefer a suite so its an integrated solution

They are running XP SP2 (which I will have them upgrade to SP3). IMO Avast/AVG/Avira suites are still power user oriented and confusing to beginners. I was thinking Norton 360 but is Windows Live OneCare a better option?

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I would advise you to give your parents Norton 360. It's the best that they can have. Works great and without prompts etc. The only thing is that they should let their PC running also when they don't use it for an extra one or two hours, every other day or so. Then Norton 360 performs all tasks by itself.

3. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

I agree, Norton 360 or Internet Security if you don't need the backup facilities.

4. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

norton...or Eset Security Suite with the firewall set at default, no prompts...even F-Secure at the default install would be a good choice...

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ye if there pc is quite powerful use f-secure. the prompts for firewall is just a simple allow or deny. or for a lighter suite use eset setup with black spear settings

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I use Eset but to meet the guidelines set out by the OP Norton 360 is the choice. I am not familiar with One Care so I can't say.

7. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Kaspersky Internet Security 2009....(Release around June approx)

Light, doesn't bother you (they use a huge whitelist) and installs out of the box with a few clicks.

8. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I'm reading the OneCare thread and it seems the 2.5 beta is free for now? (cost is not a big facttor though)

Also it seems Norton 360 copied the features of OneCare. I am just a little bit concerned about Norton being heavier (its not a very fast pc) and harder to uninstall.

This is the sort of prompt my parents would have no idea what to do with! They don't know how a firewall works (meaning of allow/deny) nor should they be expected to! The prompt will probably have exe name, like 'svchost.exe is trying to connect' which makes it even more confusing.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I wouldn't use the beta there are update problems. Try 2.0. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=205572

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

For an easy suite I would go for Norton 360, they won't have to deal with firewall prompts.

11. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Norton Internet Security 2008 works very well.

12. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Option 1: Norton 360
    Option 2: Norton Internet Security 2008

They are less intrusive and automated.

My parents are using Avira Premium AV and Windows XP firewall. They have been safe from threats many many years. :p

13. Jin K

Jin K Registered Member

If your parents pc are powerfull use Kaspersky 7.0 or wait for Ver 2009

14. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Norton internet security 2008 would be a optimal choice...

15. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

A near promptless setup

- Windows XP firewall
    - DefenseWall paid (initial 29 afterwards 19 per year) (first choice) / GeSWall free (2nd choice, assuming they only use internet, no P2P - messenger - skype - chat - etc)
    - ThreatFire free (build in AV)

Most ISP have e-mail checking/anti-spam as service, otherwise TF will deal with it.

Although it has a bad reputation on our XP box Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall really runs okay and uses very little resources (all logging turned off), is also a simpel FW (easier than ZA, PCTools).

A real bargain integrated suite is Blink 4 (firewall with Norman AV) with a well laid GUI).

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  16. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

I installed NIS 2008 on my parent computer. It's an old Dell with a Celeron CPU and 512 megs RAM and there is no slowdown at all. Plus, its the only suite I found that got no pop-up for the firewall. Parents are very satisfied with it since they are 100% non-technical and never know what to answer when there are pop-ups from a program.

As for the uninstall, I used Norton uninstall tool when I removed NIS 2007 to upgrade their computer to 2008, it worked like a charm. Norton really upped their game in the last 2 years.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Isnt this a A or B thread.

18. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

No- more like A, B, and C.

19. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

Why security suite?Windows firewall with free antivirus are enough.

20. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

NIS2008 is just like 360 a good choice for parents. But NIS looks dangerous for most of them. 360 is much easier and better. A few buttons and nothing to do.

Just try it out on their machine. Then you can see if it's heavy or not. Alllthe other options added here will scare elder people. Way too much things to see... And 360 does it all without any dangerous screens :)

21. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Suggest OA AV+ meets all your criteria. Gives minimun prompts provides the FW, the hips and the av and autoupdating.

The AV is KAV,

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I would have to agree that Norton 360 would be a good non threatning security for your parents regardless of their computer knowledge :thumb: And the protecton is very good also.

23. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

instant recovery like PowerShadow, Returnil
    Multi point recovery like Rollback.

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

TBH the best idea is to get them a firewalled router and use windows firewall and a free av that would do.

25. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.