Best Eraser

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by n8chavez, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

All the talk that has been going on lately in this thread and this thread about cluster tip wiping and MFT erasing has lead me to ask a very important question that I'm afraid there is no answer to; what is the best eraser. Of course we all know that the word best by its nature is subjective. Keeping that in mind, what software fills both criteria of being able to wiple both cluster tips and the MFT?

Is eraser 'good enough' or should I consider others? What is your opinion of SafeErase 3?

Nate

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

People here don't like A vs B threads,

But for my 2 cents, Evidence eliminator 6.0

3. n8chavez

That's not true. I've been around a long time and have seen Wilders go from a place where any computer idea could be discussed to where we are now. Everything is restrictive; you have to place x versus y threads in certain places else you'll be bitch-slapped.

Luckily for me, this is no such thread.

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Hmmmm.......and only 150 bucks for a lic.

Plus it is listed HERE as Rogue. :thumbd:

5. L815

L815 Guest

If you aren't worried about government checking you out, then I'd recommend using something simple like Eraser, or Ace Utilities/System TuneUp.
    Majority use the same list of algorithms to wipe that junk out.

6. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

i like O&O Safe eraser

7. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Evidence Eliminator gets my vote as well. It has only been branded a rogue app due to the extremely agressive advertising on their website and the ridiculous price they are charging for it. However, it is the best Eraser you can get and does its job perfectly well.

If you dont want to shell out for EE, id recommend you stick with Eraser or possibly try R-Wipe and Clean.

8. Taliscicero

Absolutely correct. EE may have a high price tag but in my oppinion it is the best, it will even electronically remove data to avoid detection from an electron microscope, i have been using it a wile and i like it, but yeah maybe I'm just too paranoid ;/

9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

N8chavez , it’s a reasonable question, but one that doesn’t have a universal answer. Asking “What’s the best erase utility?” is like asking, “What is the best car?” Some people place an emphasis on price versus reliability, on warranty versus dealer service, or on style versus gas mileage (etc.).

The problem is that the prioritized list of product feature attributes that are most important in an erase utility differ from person to person, to a greater or lesser extent. If there was universal agreement on the weight that each such attribute should possess in the decision making process, then answering the question would simply involve computing a score for each erase utility equal to (A1 * P1) + … (Ai * Pi), for i=1 to N, where Ai is equal to the importance of the attribute and Pi is equal to the performance of the erase utility on that attribute, each rated on a poor-to-excellent (e.g., 1-to-5) scale; and then choosing the erase utility with the highest score. Examples of erase utility attributes might be: cost, ease of installation, speed of execution, presence of a specific capability, quality of technical support, etc.

Getting the opinions of others on a forum like this can be helpful, but at the end of the day, you need to do your own research and choose the product that works best for you.

10. firefox2008

firefox2008 Registered Member

If I worked for any law enforcement agency and had to look at someones computer for any questionable/illegal stuff and I saw Evidence Eliminator on it I would assume the worse about the computer owner.

11. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Why? Would you also "assume the worst about the computer owner" for everybody who uses encryption, Tor or any other privacy protecting software?

Plus, indirectly, your statement implies that Evidence Eliminator is the most effective erasing utility.

12. firefox2008

firefox2008 Registered Member

Evidence Eliminator is one of the best out there but the marketing campaign's target audience were people who feared losing their jobs, spouse or going to jail. Based on that I would assume that people who had this software are people doing things they are ashamed of or are illegal.

13. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Thank you SafetyFirst. Assuming the worst about someone simply because they value their privacy :cool: is a bit over the top. :rolleyes:

Granted there are questionable uses for EE, as well as any type of eraser\privacy software :ninja: as you stated. There are also many legit reasons. Just because someone chooses to spend the $$$ for the best? should not raise suspicion. :doubt:

Long time EE user here.....no police record either. ;) :D

14. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I think we have all agreed their advertising is a bit extreme....though not lies. It is the (only) reason it is ranked as "rogue" software.

I keep personal records on my PC, financial, etc. As they are no longer needed I use EE to eliminate them. Last I knew that does not make me a crook, nor is it illegal either.

15. n8chavez

I understand there is no 'best'. Now I'm wondering you have actually read the first post in this thread. Oh well, I qualified that statement by saying this:

I guess people, for whatever reason didn't get that. I've only seen two products mention that they erase the MFT; Cyber Scrub and the East -Tec Eraser, which are the same product. Eraser mentions wiping cluster tips but not the MFT.

That's why I asked about SecureErase; there is no mention of either of these points anywhere on their site.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  16. TVH

TVH Registered Member

SecureErase is for wiping your entire hard drive. I was under the impressions you were looking for something to wipe individual files? Thats why i suggested EE, R-Wipe etc

However, if you do want to erase your entire drive, any zero fill tool would be sufficient, although SecureErase is the fastest.

17. n8chavez

SecureErase can do both. There is no gui, similar to Eraser, with it but everything can be done via the context menu. Of course, the options change based on what you have selected; drive, folder, etc.

18. SafetyFirst

Says who?

About programs erasing MFT:

http://www.berghel.net/col-edit/digital_village/aug-06/dv_8-06.php

Shorter reference to that article:

http://www.gcn.com/print/25_26/41771-1.html

Also an interesting PDF:

http://www.first.org/conference/2006/papers/geiger-matthew-slides.pdf

Screenshot of EE:

Attached Files:

19. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I think everyone missed the point firefox2008 made about Evidence Eliminator being on your computer. I posted this in another thread:

I know a guy who works in computer forensics for the Dallas Police and he says EE is definitely the best of the lot but that anybody who has a program with that name (Evidence Eliminator) on their PC is already down one with the police/prosecutor/judge/jury. He has a point.

That aside, I cannot stand Robin Hood Software and wouldn't use it if it was GIVEN to me.

Now think about the NAME of the software and tell me it wouldn't possibly influence a jury....EVIDENCE ELIMINATOR (not 'tracks' or 'privacykeeper' or any of a million other things). What does "Evidence" mean in a legal sense? What does ELIMINATE mean in a legal sense? Now put them together, as per the name of this software. What I said in the bolded portion above from the other thread is simply fact: With EE you have software on your computer that's specific purpose -- in the name of the program -- is to ELIMINATE EVIDENCE. In the real world - that is a big strike mark against you. Not what it really does, we're talking just the NAME of the software. From police to the prosecutor to the judge to the jury, the NAME alone gives you two strikes. Basic, really.

20. SafetyFirst

Gerard, cool, you are talking hypothetically about a person being prosecuted. In that case you are a suspect no matter what the name of your program is.

Beside, that person can plead that is just a commercial name of one of dozens of such programs sold legally.

21. Perman

Perman Registered Member

It appears to me that you are telling the crowd this:

gone to a person's dwelling looking for evidence of alcohol abuse, in his cellar, you found few bottles of LOIUS XIII, and immediately you label this poor(not financially) guy as an alcoholic.

Is your assumption logical ?

EE costs US$ 149.99, for life. expensive ? yes. worth it ? don't know until try it. I am testing it now. I have used East-Tec eraser, window washer, R-E wipe and other top-notched ones. All are good , but this one could be much different than all other bunch.

Please do not take that so-called rogue remover as a bible. I have long questioned its merit of testing methods at other thread here a long while ago.

22. SafetyFirst

It looks like the common theme song here is "their advertising sucks, it's expensive and it has an awkward name that implies doing something illegal".

All above is true but not the highest priority in the hierarchy of my criteria when I choose a program (or any product). What matters most to me is the quality. Is it good in doing its job? Does it deliver what it promises? Is it better than their competition?

I never buy any software just because I like its name or because it's cheap. I'd rather pay more for an ugly, lousy-named app that does what it should than take a free but useless thing. If I buy a security software then security is the paramount criterium, not low price, fancy name or sweet GUI.

23. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Please.....pay careful attention. This REALLY is important if you live in the United States....

Look - I am just talking facts, here. This is NOT an opinion. In the United States obstructing justice and destroying evidence is a crime. Now, how stupid to have a program on your computer called, "EVIDENCE ELIMINATOR." People who don't understand that there's tons of programs that do basically the same thing, rightly become confused when they hear the suspect's computer had a program whose very name says it is there to eliminate EVIDENCE(!). I'm not saying it's right or wrong - but people are easily swayed when confronted with something like this. It's just a fact that the police can make an easier case to a prosecutor, the prosecutor has an easier case to a jury and/or judge when somebody is dumb enough to use a program - in the United States - with a name like that. Again - right or wrong - I'm just saying how it is! Is it fair? No! Absolutely not. But think twice before putting that program on your computer. If your computer is ever part of an investigation - the program name alone makes it an uphill battle for you. This is really common sense when destroying evidence is a crime. Assumption by cops, prosecutors and juries are made on crap like this. It's just true!

On edit: A friend of mine lost his wife a couple of years back. The wife collapsed and died for no apparent cause at their home. He was shocked and saddened beyond belief. BUT, the police still investigated because it was a suspicious death. They took his computer and found nothing of significance (no searches for "killing your wife', 'poisoning', etc.)....but what if.....just what IF....my buddy had a program on his PC called, "Evidence Eliminator." Eyebrows would go up - rightly or wrongly - eyebrows would rise. Thank God he had nothing to do with the death of his wife and thank God he didn't have a computer program named, "Evidence Eliminator" on his computer when they were initially looking at him as a possible murder suspect.

24. Taliscicero

Ok let me tell you something about law before this gets out of hand,

in law there has to be evidence to convict someone they cannot be convicted because of a name of a program they own. if that were the case i could make a text file saying " Take over the wighthouse " or "bomb building " that inside has a song or a poem and be sent to jail because i could be doing something naughty.

It makes no sence what you are saying, and if i am correct when people think like you are it is called a Misstrial.

25. SafetyFirst

Gerard, I am not American citizen. Don't get me wrong here, but if the name of a program on your computer (that is legally sold in USA and not forbidden by any law BTW) decides if you are guilty or not, then, thank you, I'd rather stay where I am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.