NOD32 License - Special Case

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rax369, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rax369

rax369 Registered Member

Hi, I have a doubt about acquiring a license of NOD32 for one of my machines.

I have a PC which run Windows Vista x32, Windows XP SP2 X64 and openSUSE 10.3 (I have installed here VMWare Workstation so it runs a Windows XP SP2 x32 Virtual Machine)

Could I use the same license on the 3 OSes (the 3rd would be Win XP SP2 x32 running on VMWare) w/out having any problems o_O

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

you can use the same license on each of your windows installations on that same machine from what I understand.

3. Jdeane

Jdeane Eset Staff

you can share the licence if it is a dual boot pc however once you start installing Eset onto virtual pc as well as the host pc then a second licence is required.

Best way to think about it is the number of OS kernals running on the one pc, with a dual boot only one kernal is running with virtual pc's you have more than one kernal running, if you run 2 virtual seasons at the same time then you'll have 3 kernals running and hence neeed 3 licences etc

4. webyourbusiness

got a link to that information somewhere? It is subtly different from a dual-boot, and a link to an "official" explanation might help in future similar questions.

tia

5. Jdeane

Jdeane Eset Staff

From the license details when installing Eset software:-

If an OS kernel is running and Eset is installed then a licence is required.

6. webyourbusiness

I think "computer system" is open to interpretation - *IF* you interpret that to be "hardware" - you have only one installation still, not matter how many vmware virtual machines you have...

clarification from Eset directly might help I think.

7. Eryan

Eryan Eset Staff Account

Hi, this is correct. To try and clarify: If you just have a dual boot machine with XP/Vista, you would only need 1 license, as you are not running them at the same time.

But from what the original poster has described, he would need 3 licenses, because:

-Linux is a separate license regardless
    -The Vista and XP kernels are running simultaneously (XP is running in VM)

8. webyourbusiness

The OP said all 3 instance of NOD32 would be on Windows..

2 dual boot (1 XP, one Vista) - and then one which would run under VMWare under openSUSE - he never mentioned running NOD32 under *nix- so that's still 1 license by my reckoning.

*IF* he said that openSUSE would need NOD32 running native, then yes, I would see another license, as the licensing for *nix is NOT the same as for windows.

As I see it - he can only have one instance of NOD32 running at a time...

Either:

XP 64 bit
    Vista 32 bit
    or XP 32 bit running under vmware on openSUSE

No possible way to run all three or even two at the same time if I read correctly - because the XP, Vista and OpenSUSE (which hosts the vmware) - are on a tri-boot setup... that's ONE license of NOD32 as they are not capable of running at the same time, and all are windows.

9. webyourbusiness

if that is the setup, then I see 3 licenses - but please re-read the OP's message, I do not read it that way... I read triple boot: XP, Vista, or openSUSE (w/XP under vmware). That would be 1 license as only one KERNEL running at a time (windows OS that is).

10. rax369

rax369 Registered Member

I also do not understand/agree about the point I will require 2 different licenses. And WORST 3 different licenses!

To support my theory I wrote an email to the NOD32 support guys, to explain my problem, and at 1st. they also got confused about my case.

At the begining they explained me, I will require 2 different licenses. But after understanding the fact that the 3 Windows OSes will be the only ones running the AV, they finally agreed that I would require only one license.

Here are the 3 replies to my question in its chronologic order:

My reply to clear their confusion:
    As you can read, they understood at first I will require the AV version FOR LINUX. But that's not the case. Linux will not have NOD32 installed. The guest OS, is the one which will have it installed. The AV will be running always on Windows (in the 3 cases) and NEVER at the same time, just on instance at time.

And you have read correctly!

I tried to wrote my original post where I explained my situation as clear as possible. But apparently some of you as the NOD32 Support Team, got confused.

I hope this clear your doubts, specially for any future references.

11. webyourbusiness

if you're triple-boot as I understood - you ONLY need ONE license. If you vmware multiple windows OS installations, then you need one valid license per SIMULTANEOUS instance of windows running - ie, if you put up multiple vmware "machines" running multiple windows installations, you need one PER windows virtual machines.

The instance you described in your original post is ONE instance at a time, ergo - ONE windows license.

12. Eryan

Eryan Eset Staff Account

rax369-Sorry I misread you, looks like all is worked out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.