What´s Your Opinion About Javascript?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rasheed187, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Personally, I think that this technology should be burried, it´s one of the stupidest things ever invented! It has only made the web a more dangerous place (browser exploits) and it slows down website loading considerably, which is even worse. Do we really need this crap? :mad: :gack: o_O

2. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Your lack of understanding of the issues is showing again. You are unfairly blaming javascript for browser exploits, when in most cases, the core problem isn't javascript.

Besides, if you want dynamic pages, javascript and its cousins are needed. There is nothing inherently insecure about javascript, any element that can make a page dynamic can be abused...

Besides I find it simply hilarous that you can declare "flash is the future" in one thread, and come here and say javascript is crap...

3. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I have no problem with Javascript in general.

But in specific, I disable Javascript in my browser simply to block ad content delivered by Adobe Flashplayer.

4. Rasheed187

First of all, I´m not an expert on this topic´s subject, so that´s why I hope that people can perhaps enlighten me, and tell me why javascript is needed or not.

We all know that JS is the number one delivery method of malicious code, most, if not all of these exploits don´t even work when JS is disabled. Of course it´s the badly programmed browsers who are causing these problems in the first place.

Let me explain, my opinion is based upon what I´m seeing. I know a lot of sites that work just fine without JS, including delivery of Flash video. And lately JS has been getting on my nerves more on more, because a lot of sites still rely on it for some reason. Why not keep it simple? My opinion is that you can make a great site without all this JS crap. And I haven´t even talked about the biggest advantage, and that´s speed! It´s amazing how fast sites load when JS is disabled. This is how the web should be, you shouldn´t have to wait for 10 to 15 seconds for some text to load.

Yes, blocking JS can get rid of ads too. But using something like NoScript is not really an option when you´re about to go browse "widely". Because you will end up having to reload site after site, simply because they rely on JS. That´s my big frustration.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

My thoughts about javascripts: its there, big deal, Im not afraid of it.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

You don't need JS for dynamic pages. You can use server-side scripting like php, cgi, asp ... JS is done on the client side, reducing server load. Which is not that unreasonable when you have 1,000,000 hits a minute ...

Anyhow, JS is nothing special - good or bad. It's just code, like any other.

Mrk

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

It isn't malware, so I installed it, because my online banking forced me to use it. :)

8. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

There are things that I would not know how to do them effectively in another way.

Simple example: how do I prevent a online user from submitting a form when he hits ENTER on his keyboard.
    Some people use this key almost automatically if they want to move to the next field of the form.
    Preventing it is almost impossible to do serverside, simple on clientside. Four lines of javascript and you're done. :cool:

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Yes, pure and simple, that is all it is - code. The problem is that it is code that can be tampered with. From a pure programmer's standpoint, I don't like others to tamper with my own creation. The WWW allows access to a lot of things that a closed computer system would not.

10. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Javascript isn't Java. You don't have to install anything. If my bank wants that I have to use Java then I just change bank or use cell phone designed pages (plain text).

11. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Javascript is more advanced then java
    I once got 2 trojans due to javascript

12. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

I think you have them confused.
    They are both Object Oriented Programming (OOP) languages. However, JavaScript contains a much smaller and simpler set of commands than does Java. It is easier to understand. The main difference is that Java can stand on its own while JavaScript must be placed inside an HTML document to function. Java is a much larger and more complicated language that creates "standalone" applications.

13. Rasheed187

Sounds good, and I still say that JS is not really needed, just give me back the good old days, where you could click (or drag and drop) hyperlinks without the need for stinking JS. I think even Flash doesn really need it, just look at all those sites that are hosting movies from example YouTube or DailyMotion and don´t forget about Flash games.

So this is the idea behind it? Can you explain a bit more how it reduces server load? I do know that it sure screws up the whole user experience.

Never really thought of this.

Good point, you must be on my side. :D

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Server side - the server does the thinking and parses the code.

Client side - the server merely sends you data in the form of a simple text file - like html, whereas your browser analyzes the lines of this text and interprets different "keywords" as commands.

For example, if you were to calculate the square root of 77 using php, the server would waste its cycle getting the answer - but using javascript the load is transfered to the client.

Thus, you can have lightweight servers doing lots of work without crumbling or being slow, while the thousands and millions of little calculations and thingies are done by individual browsers all over the world.

Think about it like this: the server is a kitchen. The more meals it has to make, the longer it takes. Instead, imagine a server that merely gives out recipes and then each customers cooks the meal using it.

Instead of waiting 5 hours for a good meal, you wait 10 seconds for the recipe and then your own computer cooks the meal.

I don't see how js screw the experience, though. By the way, use noscript and javascript is gone ... enable only when needed. Plus, I do agree that quite a few (too many) sides try to be cool (web 2.0 bullshit) and serve unneeded candy on the expanse of usability and quality. But that's the way the world is...

Mrk

15. Rock Smasher

Rock Smasher Registered Member

This is all fine and Dandy but I have to wonder:

1. Is there anything worth getting excited about
    Regarding Javascript and if so...

2. What should I do to be safe from any possible threats?

I'm currently running AVG Antivirus, Sygate personal firewall
    and Boclean for my security measures and they appear to be
    doing the job.

I tried Comodo firewall but got fed up with the constant alerts.
    "Oh my God! You touched the keyboard and moved the mouse!
    Is everything O.K.? Do you wish to continue?"

Sickening.:rolleyes:

It was just a little too hyperactive for my taste so I went
    back to the old Sygate PF.

16. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Just who set up this whole mess (I am sure that a huge populace was involved)? I recommend Web Design in a Nutshell as an introduction book to start. After perusing it, I still don't understand.......:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  17. Rasheed187

A bit late, but thanks for the feedback, I now understand it all better. ;)
    You can´t be serious. Have you never been to slow loading sites that use a lot of CPU time/RAM because of this JS crap?
    OK so you do know what I´m talking about. For example, a site like MySpace makes me sick. :gack:

I´ve already explained why this isn´t a real solution to the problem. I´m telling you guys, we need a revolution, we need to kill JS completely. :cool:

18. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I dont mind javascripts, or anything for that matter. As long as I can choose when and what I want to see or use, no problem. By default all javascripts are off with noscript extension. It makes the net a pleasant place to be on.

19. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

Noscript is great.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.