Removal of Netscape protection

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by ccsito, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I previously installed the Netscape browser (last released version) and then uninstalled it. My SpywareBlaster program 4.0 shows the Netscape program on the main page. Since I no longer have that browser, how do I get rid of the Netscape protection from the program? I could not find anything to allow removal of this component. Do I have to delete it and reinstall the program?

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Gecko-based browser protection (Netscape, Seamonkey, Flock, etc.) is displayed on the main screen of SpywareBlaster if a valid profile for one of those browsers is detected in your user account on Windows.

If you uninstall one of those browsers, they will likely not remove the respective profile(s). But you can prevent SpywareBlaster from detecting them manually.

Please only follow these instructions if you have removed the respective browser and do not plan on using it again. Making the changes listed below will likely also prevent the respective browser from detecting your profile, which means any bookmarks, cookies, or history you saved in that browser will be unavailable if you reinstall it.

1.) Locate the "Application Data" folder for your user account
    • Browse to your Windows user account's "Application Data" folder.
      (You may have to enter the path manually in the address bar in Windows Explorer. The Application Data/AppData folder is typically hidden from view.)

• On Windows XP, the default path is:
        C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data

• On Windows Vista, the default path is:
        C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming

2a.) To Prevent Detection of Netscape:
    • Double-click on the "Netscape" subfolder in the Application Data/AppData folder.
    • Double-click on the "Navigator" subfolder.
    • In this folder you will likely find a file named "profiles.ini". Simply rename it (ex. to "profiles.bak.ini"), and SpywareBlaster will no longer detect Netscape.

2b.) To Prevent Detection of Seamonkey:
    • Double-click on the "Mozilla" subfolder in the Application Data/AppData folder.
    • In this folder you will likely find a file named "registry.dat". Simply rename it (ex. to "registry.bak.dat"), and SpywareBlaster will no longer detect Seamonkey.

2c.) To Prevent Detection of Flock:
    • Double-click on the "Flock" subfolder in the Application Data/AppData folder.
    • Double-click on the "Browser" subfolder.
    • In this folder you will likely find a file named "profiles.ini". Simply rename it (ex. to "profiles.bak.ini"), and SpywareBlaster will no longer detect Flock.

(I included instructions for the other browsers in case someone comes across this post by searching.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

That was pretty simple. Worked perfectly. Thanks.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.