Disk Clone - what am I doing wrong

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Oldjim, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

Using Seagate Disk Management which is basically Acronis True Image I cloned my old hard drive (80GB capacity with a C: and D: partition) to a new 250GB drive but despite following all the instructions I couldn't resize the C: boot partition. Even trying automatic as well as manual had no effect.
    In the end, after a lot of messing about, I cloned the drive and resized the D: partition to the required size and moved it to the end of the disk leaving an unused part between them.
    I then used Diskpart extend command under DOS to extend the primary partition to fill up the gap hence giving me the effect I wanted.
    However this seems a very convoluted way of doing it.

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Did you clone via Windows or the Rescue CD?

3. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

Via the bootable CD as there was not enough space on the C drive to install the program

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

This may also be a convoluted way to do it and I'm not sure how it will work when you want two partitions, but it always works with a single partition drive:
    ================================
    If you have already cloned/restored your drive and just want to regain the missing (unallocated) space proceed as follows:
    1. Make the bootable True Image Rescue cd, if you have not already done so.
    2. Boot with it and from its main menu choose Manage Acronis Secure Zone.
    3. Create an SZ of any size less than the missing unallocated space. Do not accept the default to activate the Startup Recovery Manager.
    4. OK back to the main menu.
    5. Go right back into the Manage ASZ.
    6. Choose to Delete the SZ.
    7. When asked what to do with the space, accept the default to append it to the existing partition.
    8. Back out to the Main Menu, Exit the process, quickly remove the CD and reboot the system (if it doesn't self reboot).
    ====================================

5. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

Tried that first and it insisting on moving the second partition to just after the first and adding the space to the second partition.
    For some reason it shows the first partition as locked and won't do anything with it.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Oldjim,

Please contact the vendor from which the software was received for technical support.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

I should have made it clear in my original post.
    I first tried using True Image 8 with exactly the same result.
    I only tried the Seagate version as it was probably more up to date than TI8.

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Oldjim,

I guess I'm still unclear on specifically what you were trying to accomplish.

Typically, on a clone of a two partition 80 GB drive with a 250 GB drive with C:\ being X GB and D:\ being Y GB partitions will yield new C:\ and D:\ partitions of X*(250/80) and Y*(250/80) GB respectively. The other obviously scheme would be to go with a C:\ partition of X GB and a D:\partition of (250-X)GB. Naturally, there are an infinite number of options between these two extremes. While I've never bothered with the latter, I've never had a problem with the former.

Specifically what were you trying for on the cloned disk?

Also, I've also always used TI as an installed app. I don't know if there are strange effects if the disk is as full as yours apparently was, but you should be always able to somehow free up the required space - somehow (dropping the pagefile size, cleaning old restore points, cleaning temp data, temporarily moving files off-line, removing an unused app., etc.).

Blue

9. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

I was trying to do exactly as you stated but in automatic it still made the C: partition the size of the original partition (perhaps a little less as it seemed to be only the size needed to fit the files in) and the D: partition went from 70GB to about 232GB so instead of having new partitions of about 240 x 10/80 = 30GB and 240 x 70/80 = 210GB I had 7.7GB and 232Gb approximately.
    When I tried doing a manual repartition during the clone process the new C: partition had a red mark in it and couldn't be modified.
    The original C: partition was heavily defragmented and couldn't be fixed due to lack of space. Whether this could have affected things I don't know.
    As I said I got round it by manually resizing the D: partition to that required and moved it to the end of the disk then used Diskpart to increase the size of the C: partition to fill the space.

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I've done many clones of this type - none via the bootable CD by the way - with no problems from V7 to V9 inclusive.
    Fragmentation should effect the result.
    It's good that you arrived to the desired endpoint, but I have no idea why the convoluted path was needed.

Blue

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

The hint for the reasons of such behavior is hiding in the following information:

"When I tried doing a manual repartition during the clone process the new C: partition had a red mark in it and couldn't be modified."

This 'red mark' sign means that Acronis True Image is not able to modify the partition. Usually it's caused by File System errors or bad blocks on this partition. In automatic mode this partition can not be modified too and it's cloned to the new hard drive 'as is'.

Could you please check the disks for errors?

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r"
    where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that
    checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

Thank you

--
    Michael Levchenko

12. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

Thank you for explaining the reason.
    As the disk is now a spare and will eventually be reformatted and used as a storage disk I will do a full reformat and integrity check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.