Would/Could Comodo Defense+ feature and ThreatFire run together?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ratchet, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Until the last update, which was crashing my system, I found TF to be a pretty decent app. It was quite and didn't seem to hinder performance at all. Well after I uninstalled it, and enabled the Defense+ feature in the Comodo firewall, I found it to be a very peaceful app also, although admittedly having enough features to tweak that it would confuse bill gates. Now that they've "fixed" TF I'm tempted to try it again. All these toys are just to much of a temptation!

2. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Sure they would. You should also add a sandbox like GesWall or sandboxie or safespace or defensewall to complete your defense...

There is no overlap because they are all different in functionality (or so i heard).

3. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I found Comodo 3 and Threatfire perfectly compatible.

I found it odd that Comodo 3 was not compatible with Comodo BoClean.

Go figure!

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I am also considering TF and Comodo 3 together. Anybody else trying these two together?

5. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I spent more time going through pop-ups with TF installed. TF needs permission to allow internet explorer or Firefox to connect, etc. I ended up getting the same request time after time. It didn't matter if I clicked on the box to save it.

I'm going to wait it out and go back to Comodo later this year.

6. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Please set the protection level back to 3 - the recommended setting.

Messing with the protection level is not recommended if you don't know what you're doing.

7. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

intersting how he managed to leave that detail out isn't it?

Mike

8. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Comodo Firewall 3 (with D+ enabled) and Comodo BOClean 4.25 works fine on my Vista 32 box.

9. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

I am running Comodo firewall 3.0.14.276 (with the Defense+ feature running at level 3) and ThreatFire 3.0.13.11 (free) together on Vista Home Premium and have had absolutely no issues so far. Along with NOD32 2.70 and SAS Pro and Defensewall as my active protection it has been peace, love, and harmony so far. Actually, I feel this is the best combination of security applications I've ever had working together, and I do not plan on making any changes any time soon. Unless someone can make a good suggestion. lol. Then I'm always open to spending a few extra bucks on good security.

10. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Some of you are astounding me with this. I am the guy who likes trying and using many different security apps, but even i am wondering why i would need TF with Comodo 3.0 with it's Defense+ enabled. I understand what both programs offer as far as protection, and how they both protect differently. (TF=Behavior Blocker and CPF=HIPS) Bit I'm still not getting why you would need to run them together. Wouldn't either one of them alone with a good rated AV be enough?

11. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Paranoia......................thats all I have to say.

12. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

No, not if your machine is all the malware writers wet dream.

/C.

13. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

LOL. Or if you do notoriously dangerous things like download programs from those crack websites. i know someone who did and got infected with some type of polymorphic virus. They were only using Avast and I guess it didn't catch it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  14. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Just curious if anyone thinks it would be good to use BOClean Anti-Malware with CPF instead of TF, or with both of them?

15. pepoluan

pepoluan Registered Member

Yeah. I am interested at this too.

Judging from the reviews, would this be acceptable?
    (This will be on a production server, mind. So I need apps capable of running under Windows Server 2003)
    - Comodo Firewall Pro v3
    - Threatfire 3
    - NOD32 v2.7

16. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

It still astounds me somewhat to see people running TF and Comodo's Defense+ together, but maybe it's not a bad idea. I saw in another thread of someone who thinks Comodo 3.0 and Prevx compliment each other. My question to anyone using Comodo and TF together is. Do you think they compliment each other too?

17. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

Supposing that someone would like to run them together, this would be the setup

a) TF standard at level 3
    b) D+ unselect all activity monitors except DNS and Loopback, watch COM, File and Registry, watch Physical memeory and direct disk access (unselect screen and keyboard). Use D+ in clean PC mode. Because you run an behavior blocker you can also unselect (set to off) image execution control

What you will get
    a) TF for all programs continueously
    b) D+ for some extra's at new arrivals (COM, File, Reg, Phys Mem, Direct Disk)
    when you are an FW addict keep DNS and loopback warning on, when you are a 'average'PC user also set them off (heuristics of Comodo's FW will warn you when a strange outbound connection is initiated).

Regards Kees

18. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Kees1958, or anyone who caresto chime in. What do think about using ZoneAlarm Anti-spyware instead of Comodo Pro 3.0? As to not make this a verses thread, I ask this because it seems at least to me that ZAAS's Triple Defense Firewall's protection would actually compliment TF more than Comodo's Defense+, or I wrong?

19. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Sorry have no experience with ZAAS Pro

20. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

No problem Kees1958, but can you explain the bugs you mentioned in another thread with malware testing and Comodo Pro Auto Inclusions? I decided to uninstall TF and just use Comodo with Defense+ which i think is more than enough protection for my usage. I like TF, but I also like my PC and browser running fast, and it does now with TF no longer running. I am truly going to try and stick with AVG AV Comodo Pro 3.0, and most likely BOClean for now, and I guess only time will tell if this was the right decision. From what I have been seeing lately in the Comodo Forums however, it seems the problems are slowly subsiding and there are very few of them with Windows XP.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.