NOD32 V3.0.563 and uTorrent

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by nodHead, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nodHead

nodHead Registered Member

I've noticed that there is a correlation between uTorrent and NOD32 V3.0.563

What happens is that whenever uTorrent is loaded and downloading*, browsing through Firefox at the same time is like molasses. Yet the NOD32 Kernel is not causing high CPU utilization or any other side effects.

*Torrent downloading at about 25% of network download capacity.

I have also tried the netsh winsock reset trick. It did not resolve the issue.

2. zaid786

zaid786 Registered Member

I had this problem aswell. But when I upgraded to version 563 it fixed the problem. Are you using vista or xp? Have you tried browsing with internet explorer? What version of utorrent are you using? There seems to be a problem with version 1.7.2 so maybe upgrading to 1.7.5 may fix the problem.

3. nodHead

Thanks zaid786 but I already have 3.0.563 installed and the latest uTorrent.
    Also, I'm on Vista x86 Ultimate.
    What is quite apparent is that the web traffic scanning engine in NOD32 V3 is just not handling the amount of data it needs to scan. It's better than in the release version but it's still got a fair way to go.
    I'm on the threshold of going back to NOD32 V2.7 - V3 has a long time to mature and become reliable. :doubt:

4. zaid786

I think I know how to fix this problem, what you need to do is make sure your on the advanced mode, then across the top left click on setup --> antivirus and antispyware. Then where it says web access protection click on "configure". Then from the drop down menu expand "HTTP". Click on "Web browsers" and then in the list make sure utorrent has a "cross" in its box and not a "tick". If its on a tick then click on the box and change it to a cross. This should do the trick!

5. pmartin

pmartin Registered Member

Absolutely brilliant - this worked like a charm. I think there's a serious defect in NOD32 v3 in this area, it would be great to have it scan uTorrent downloads as the come down. This fix was 100% what I needed.

For reference uTorrent with NOD32 was stopping both Internet Explorer (IE) and Windows Messenger Live (MSN Messenger) from working. It seems to have started not with v3, but with a signature update.

In any case, excluding uTorrent as described above works perfectly.

6. VidKo

VidKo Registered Member

Oh my god.

I was calling my ISP, cursed the cable modem, and my trusted Linksys router, and even firewall :)

I never thought of NOD32 being the culprit.

Thanks alot guys.

7. stadi

stadi Registered Member

Same here. I couldn't beleive that my Linksys router failed me when it never did something like that before :)

8. zaid786

glad i could help! :D That section in nod32 is only supposed to be for web browsers I think, so excluding P2P applications is perfectly fine.

9. nodHead

Thanks for the tip! :thumb:

Funny though that both only stopped working effectively after signatures were updated.:doubt:

10. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I have µTorrent ticked in that section and everything is running smoothly. Browsing isn't a problem either. Strange!!:D
    MSN and IE are both working too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.