How to create Acronis Secure Zone on 4-partition disk ?!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by m150, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m150

m150 Registered Member

Hi all,

I've just purchased and downloaded Acronis True Image 11 Home Edition yesterday, and tried to create a safe zone in my disk by using Acronis Secure Zone but.... unsuccessful. I've already read some of the threads here and then I realized the problem: my hard disk (160GB) is already divided into 4 partitions: [C] for Vista HomePre, [D] for Data and 2 hidden others for Laptop's Manufacturer Recovery. o_O

So, are there any way to make a Secure Zone on my disk o_O Plz help me solve this problem since I wanna use Startup Recovery and F11 to recover my system. Thanks a lot ! :)

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

With the Secure zone on the same disk as your system, if your drive fails, you have no backups and no recovery. Likewise, if your backups are stored only on Drive D and your drive fails, your backup files are gone!

Perhaps you should consider getting an external hard drive. Store your backups there. Create an Acronis Rescue CD and you can always use this CD to access your previous backups (stored wherever) and your system restoration or drive replacement can occur from the Recovery CD. A secure zone is not needed in this example. Secure zones should not be placed on external drives either.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  3. m150

m150 Registered Member

Thanks for your answer !

Of course, I had an external drive and I can store my backup there, but... I'm afraid that: it (my external drive) could not be read or recognized when computer startup in DOS (USB ports are sometimes crazy and very slow). Thus, I wanna store the computer backup on its hard disk and the system can be able to recover from startup by using F11 key (same way as Laptop's Manufacturer Recovery with Alt+F10 to setup original Windows). It's also the reason why I need to create a Secure Zone: no need Rescue CD or sth like that to access my backup.

So, any ideas with my problems ?!

4. m150

m150 Registered Member

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello m150,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

There is no problem with Vista restoration in Acronis True Image 11 Home.

Please be aware that there can only be 4 primary or 3 primary and one extended partitions on a drive. Thus, there is no way to create Acronis Secure Zone on a drive which already has 4 primary partitions.
    Please notice that, as Groverh pointed, in your case it might be better to use Acronis Bootable Rescue Media. Notice that Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (full version) uses the exact same environment as Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. You can boot using the Acronis Bootable Rescue Media at any time to see if it successfully recognizes your hardware. Should you encounter any problems, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 11 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  6. m150

m150 Registered Member

Thanks for your answer,

The main reason why I want to use Acronis Safe Zone to store my backup is: I defragment my hard disk very frequently, and I worried that the backup data (stored on D:) will be damaged when I did it.

Of course, I can save it on an external drive, but... sometimes, as I comment, it (my external drive) sometimes could not be read or recognized when computer startup in DOS.

So, Safe Zone can keep my backup files safe and secure. If didn't use Safe Zone, how can I keep it away from damaged ?!

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

See my post #2 above. You need to have your backup sets stored in multiple places. Defragging your C drive will not affect you backup files if stored on Drive D.

Whether you store on Drive D or a secure zone, you still need to have backup sets accessible on other external drives. Remember, if the drive that holds your backup sets fail, the backups are gone. You need more security than storing on only one disk!
    Are you saying that your external drive is not visible when booting into the Recovery CD Full Version which is Linux? When you mention DOS, I am interpreting that you are using the Safe Version--or am I mis-understanding?

Check out the thread "Secure Zone & Startup Recovery Manager" found in the Useful Forum Threads link below. This provides a good description of its features (both good and no so good) .

8. m150

m150 Registered Member

Thanks so much for your answers,

About "DOS", I just use this word to describe the Startup state of my computer... I mean... before Windows Vista started. I don't use Linux or... DOS anymore :) ! Sometimes, my external drive is not visible when booting into the Recovery CD Full Version... and sometimes, very slow.

And about the defragment, I usually defrag all of my partition... so... I worried that my backup files will be affected ! Is that true, or.... I'm wrong ?! o_O

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

linus:
    linux is the OS that ATI uses when doing a restore, which is why folks have been mentioning it.

Defragging:
    Defragging large files, like image backups is a very (very very) slow process and usually buys virtually nothing in terms of performance. If you defrag, say, an 8GB file that's in 20 fragments, then use the file to do a restore, it will maybe shave a few nanoseconds off the 10-20 minute restore time.

Still, you can defrag drives with backup/image files on them if your defragger allows you to exclude files -- for example, Perfect Disk allows you to specify fiels or directories to excluded from defragging.

If you do that, you won't have to mess with an SZ, which modifies your master boot record on your hard disk.

10. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

As a long term user of a secure zone on a secondary disk this is news to me.
    I have only found that the MBR is modified if one activates the Acronis Start up recovery manager. This effect is easily reversed if that is required.

Xpilot

11. m150

m150 Registered Member

Thank you for your answers, :)

My disk have only 2 partitions to store OS (C) and data (D), so I defrag the whole disk, not only the backup files :rolleyes:

Windows Vista has its own Defragment Tools and I don't wanna use any others software to do that task. But, if the defragment process can cause a damage for backup files, maybe I'll try your recommend software (Perfect Disk). So, in conclusion, Windows Defragment will affect badly to Acronis Backup Files ?! :doubt:

Sorry, but I cannot understand what you mean !! What is MBR ?! o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.