Returnil reverts back to trial

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Tony, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Hi, when i install Returnil, the free personal use version, there is already a serial number in the box and everything seems to install perfect.

On reboot Returnil shows as registered.
    No matter how many times that i reboot, Returnil shows as registered .

But whenever i shut the computer down, a blue screen shows with a couple of Returnil errors then the computer boots as normal.
    Once fully booted up, returnil shows as a trial version and if i try to start session lock, then a box pops up saying the device is not ready.

I have to then re register with the serial, reboot and everything works fine, reboots and all until the computer has been shut down again.

I have only used session lock.

I have also tried to install with the VP and without the VP and exactly the same problem occurs.

I am using Windows XP fully updated.

Thank you.

2. testsoso

testsoso Registered Member

yes it did happened to me too, i was in admin account made a session lock, than logged into a limited account, session lock still there, and it said trial is over, i put the serial number in, and ok the software asked me to restart windows, after that the software says it tial is over. i made a new install, to fix it.

3. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Hi, i have reinstalled twice with the virtual partition, and once without the VP.
    All seems to be ok until i shut the system down, a reboot and there is no problemo_O

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am going to move this thread to Software and Services which Coldmoon monitors. He is a rep of theirs.

Pete

5. Hillsboro

Hillsboro Registered Member

Are you deleting the RETURNIL folder from the C drive root? I did that and got the same error you are speaking of. When you do a cold boot, look to see if the RETURNIL folder is gone or if the DAT file inside is missing.

6. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello,
    Hillsboro is correct. If Returnil cannot access the files in the root folder it will cause an error at start. There can also be problems if you have used the Business edition Beta and then install the Personal edition.

Please try the following:

1) If System Protection is ON, open RVS GUI and then click the "Change Protection Mode" button in the Protection Settings section.

2) Select "Turn the protection feature OFF" option and then click "OK"

3) Allow the system to reboot

4) Log into an administrator's account and then right click tray icon and select "Quit Protgram" from menu options

5) Click Start->All Programs->Returnil->uninstall

6) Complete the uninstall process and allow reboot of the system

7) Log into Admin account and then delete the folder %s:\Returnil

:cool: Download fresh copy of Returnil Virtual System Personal Edition

9) Install when downloaded.

10) reboot computer

If for some reason this does not work, please repeat uninstall steps in safe-mode. Please let me know if this has solved the issue.

Mike

7. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Thanks Hillsboro and Coldmoon for taking the time to reply.

After following your instructions the same problem appeared.

So this time after uninstalling and a reboot, i went into the registry and deletd the Returnil entries.

After reinstalling Returnil, everything would now appear to be ok.

I`ll keep you posted should there be any change.

8. Coldmoon

Thanks for the post back Tony :cool:

This can happen in a couple of situations and both most commonly involve issues with the dat file between versions:

1) Upgrading to 1.62.xxxx beta or final release version from 1.61

2) Changing from Beta 1.62.xxxx version to the final release 1.62

There are differences in how the separate versions deal with registration so it is best to completely uninstall a previous version before installing an upgrade or different version.

9. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

You have to register Returnil now. It's still free.

Subscription: Free with product registration for Home users on a single computer.

I have automatically serial codes in Returnil. Just click Register Now and reboot.

10. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Ok, I'm experiencing the same thing. This is the only copy and version I have ever had from Returnil. My Returnil folder is still there in the C: root with both the RVSYSTEM.DAT and RVSYSTEM.IMG still there. My problems started after a reboot while I was protected using Session Lock. I rebooted out of protection because I wanted to reset my Windows Security Center. I noticed that it (the WSC) didn't recognize my firewall. After the reboot to disable RVS protection, I stopped the WMI service and deleted the windows system32 wbem repository folder and then started the WMI service again. I then rebooted to complete the fix. That is when I noticed that the RVS icon was gone and the Z: partition didn't mount which i have it set to mount by default. For reference I have only used the Session Lock feature and don't have protection enabled at restart. I now have an unregistered RVS version and in the program GUI all the options are unchecked. Like I said, the Returnil folder is still there in C: with both files. The register now shows the serial code, but not the serial number. Is there a 5 day time limit on registration?

I'll try uninstalling, downloading a new copy and reinstalling and report back. This is kinda strange that we are having the same problem. Maybe a bug? I'm sure Mike will look into it for us.

UPDATE:EDIT: I followed Mikes' uninstall procedure and then checked the C: for the Returnil folder and it was gone. I ran CCleaner anyways and it removed 3 related enteries. I then reinstalled a fresh version of RVS and all seems ok for now. This time I copied/saved the serial #. I always save #s, but the one time that I didn't, It bit me in the butt. Go figure!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  11. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

@ Mike, The registration thing happened again. I was running in protected mode via Session Lock and rebooted to turn off protection. When I did, the Returnil icon didn't show up in the tray and the VP didn't mount. I manually started the program (unprotected) to check the options and all of them were unchecked and the serial number was blank again. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, innerpeace.

12. Tony

Tony Registered Member

This also happened again to me.
    I tried to do an image restore using Seagate disk restore but it could not read from my other drive for some reason.

Anyway i have since formatted and reinstalled XP and the problem has not returned to date.

There must be a bug somewhere though for the settings changing and reverting back to a trial version.

13. Coldmoon

Hi,
    If you are using the Personal Edition, then do not remove the included Serial Number or enter one you already have. We have a new build that should address the registration issue, see your PM and I can send you the link.

This issue should not effect anyone installing RVS for the first time.

14. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Registered Member

While I don't have the same problem as the others mine is like this: I installed using the Giveaway version on 7.9. I then tried to uninstall and I didn't like the product. I am in deja vu mode ever since. My attempts to reinstall are met with System Protection mode is currently on.

How do I get around this.

Thanks.

15. Tony

Tony Registered Member

If you have enabled session lock then you will have to re-boot to start a new session unlocked.

16. PhiloVance

I don't even have any icons on the desktop any more. Apparently the uninstall I ran messed everything up. I am stuck in deja vu. I keep returning to the same place. I need to undo the session lock but rebooting doesn't do it.

I am not making any changes to my real c disk just the returnil image.

Very frustrating.

Is there anyway to undo the session lock; to uninstall Returnil and return my machine to normal. I tried going back (system restore) but even that doesn't really go back. Returnil and the session lock are still preventing me from doing anything to my real c disk.

Thanks for any help.

17. Coldmoon

Hello PhiloVance,
    Have you tried the uninstall in safe-mode as I posted in reply above? If not please try this and let me know the results. If this is not successful I have other instructions that will help to resolve this.

Mike

18. PhiloVance

Coldmoon. Thanks for the reply. I have no GUI, I have no folder anymore where the Returnil was installed.

The first step
    I won't be able to do. I still have the C:/Returnil folder with the rvsystem.dat and rvsystem.img files inside it, but the software itself seems to be gone.

Also, if I'm to use Safe Mode which option do I use (I think there are 3 options), and what do I do when I get into safe mode. I'm running XP pro sp2 32 bit.

Thanks.

19. Coldmoon

PhiloVance,
    Just enter normal safe mode and not safe mode with networking or safe mode with command prompt.

Then repeat the uninstall instructions from my earlier post in this thread.

Mike

20. PhiloVance

Ok, I went into safe mode and found no icon. Then I tried to uninstall but there is just an entry in Add/remove and the system warns you that it has already been uninstalled, but did you want to remove the entry? I said no to this. I then deleted the c:\returnil folder. It wouldn't let me put it in the recycle bin, so I deleted entirely.

Rebooted.

Couple of returnil errors on a blue screen

Screen turns black.

three dots ... appear for awhile.

system reboots normally.

I make a few changes to the startup including disabling returnil via msconfig.

reboot

still get the returnil errors and the three dots but otherwise the system seems to be normal again and I am writing to my c disk, not the image as the image hasn't returned.

Question is how to get rid of the 3 dots and that stuff.

Thanks.

Pat.

21. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

I've been struck wit the 'Revert to Trial' bug. Not current with the latest additions to the various Returnil threads, been too busy to come into Wilders :(
    and even now, I don't have the time to properly peruse the various new posts.

Coldmoon, do you think you could PM me the link for the new build?

22. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

im having the same problem now Returnil is Revert to Trial im using build 1.6.2.4107

23. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Just a thought.
    Have you recently done a registry clean up.

I did this a couple of days ago, and the very next time that i restarted my computer, it reverted back to a trial.

24. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

ya i did, i use ccleaner for that, but i use it all the times and never have this problem, i really dont think is ccleaner, i reinstall returnil again and i use ccleaner to clean the reg and no have any problem, let see if it happen again hope not

25. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

well i just have the same problem right now plus i got 2 errors after windows bootup, so for now i just gone unistalled it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.