A Free Anti-Spyware app?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by twl845, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I need a free anti-spyware for my daughters computer. Can any one recommend one that runs live and provides definition updates? Thanks in advance. :)

2. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I think your choices in resident freeware are limited to SpywareTerminator, which I use, and recommend, and WindowsDefender, which I haven't used, but have read less than enthusiastic reports about.
    You don't provide much info, so I'm going to assume that your daughter maybe isn't that computer savvy? If so try installing SpywareTerminator in ""beginner" mode (rather than advanced or expert...I think the default is advanced) and this will result in fewer popups. Much fewer. If she's OK with reading file names and having a go at working out what might initiate them and what they belong to, install it in "advanced" run a full scan, then enable the HIPS feature. This provides pretty solid protection.
    The program updates definitions about every day, and the program is relatively young and updates evey 2-4 weeks, in the time I've had it.
    It's got plenty of configuration and protection options, and I can report that it plays well with Comodo firewall, Avast AV (home) and I have also run it with demand spyware scanners like SAS (which is excellent for demand scanning, along with AVG and Asquared), spybot, winpatrol, some issues with some users using Zonealarm.
    I think it doesn't work in Vista yet, version 2, in about 2-3 weeks, will (32bit only.)
    It's main strength is realtime protection, definitions are increasing by the day, but would advise also having a demand scanner. That said, none of my demand scanners have found anything nasty since I installed ST.

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

The only 2 I know of is Windows Defender and Spyware Terminator. Pick your poison. Defender does have some IDS capabilities and I ran it for a while. Don't trust it's on-demand scanner solely. I trust that you provided her with on-demand scanners and instructed her to use them regularly. BOCLean 4.24 could also be used and Winpatrols' Hips (Free version) is a different alternative.

I really wish there were more options for free real-time AS/AMs. There was a free McAfee AV/suite a posted a while ago. Here's the link https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174289&highlight=free mcafee suite

I hope this helps, innerpeace

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK, thanks for the info! I'll Check out ST.:)

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Not that I recommend PC Tools but many people on this site seems to use their products. Now there is a Pc Tools "starter edition" anti-spyware with Google pack. Link below-

http://pack.google.com/intl/en/product_info.html?sd

That combined with Acelogix "start-up guard" would be a nice combo. Maybe a HIPS of some sort would be worth considering down the road.

http://www.acelogix.com/freeware.html

Personally, I think the Realtime Shield of Spyware Terminator would be sufficient. But the ST HIPS features are fairly weak compared to other HIPS programs (SSM, DSA, Prosecurity, etc). And ST has plenty of false positives. But the Realtime Shield is as good as what most paid programs provide.

However you slice it I would definitely download SuperAntiSpyware free edition to run on demand once a week or so.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I installed ST on my daughters computer and I don't know what you mean by beginner mode. I assume I'll have to eliminate the hips, because she ran into alerts that won't go away even after you click allow. Can you give my more info? I'm not hip on HIPS myself.:)

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You can install ST, but use only its realtime shield without the HIPS feature, and if you want to only be alerted for a possible threat, choose for all the items the Permission level to "Stop Threats access only"... ;)

9. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

You're probably best to do without the HIPS then...it basically creates an "allow/deny" alert every time an .exe or .ini (and maybe some others) file attempts to execute, that the application doesn't know about. (Goes nuts when installing new software! That's what the "install mode" is for, BTW)

To set it to "beginner mode" open the program, click "real time protection" and a tab will be visible "restore from profile" near the bottom left of the window. Click on that, and select beginner. This means that only known harmful stuff will be blocked, automatically, the user won't be asked.

Should you (or her) elect to keep the HIPS enabled, when clicking "allow" (this is of course for applications you know are safe) make sure the check box "remember this decision" is ticked. That should eliminate repeat popups.

The program is very configurable, there are many options, so, unless in beginner mode it does take a bit of experimentation to learn them all.
    Hope that helps, don't hesitate to ask for more advice. The forums are pretty active, too.

10. Lasse88

Lasse88 Registered Member

also theese files..

.QTX .SYS .DLL .ASI .API .DAN .TSP .IME .IEC .CPL .APL

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Tarq57, Thanks for the instructions! I will take the HIPS off for my daughter. The way her and my Grand Daughters "surf the web" they only need minimal protection. I really didn't have a chance to really look at ST when I installed it. I had just finished spending the afternoon recovering their system back to it's original configuration. They had it all buggered up. LOL

12. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

...and .BAT too :)

13. Graphic Equaliser

Graphic Equaliser Registered Member

What about Spybot Search and Destroy? It still updates, and finds anything bad on my PCs. It is on-demand scanning, rather than real-time, but I prefer that. It also works on Vista.

14. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Spybot is pretty outdated and the tea timer has part of it cut off so its hard to read.

15. fce

fce Registered Member

anyone used KIS7 with AVG Anti spyware?

also, i read there's problem in AVG AS updating....can somebody confirm if this is over.

thanks!

16. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Yea, Spybot 1.4 is pretty outdated. I would wait till 1.5 comes out of bata.

17. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

I am, together with SUPERAntispyware. They work really well on my Vista. :)
    Haven't experienced any problems yet when updating, besides it automatically updates.
    Still waiting for SAS to update without having to confirm it every time. :D
    Maybe it's fixed in the latest version, but I haven't had the time yet to install it.

18. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

We are working on a new updater for Vista so it won't prompt you :) It only prompts for program updates, not definition updates, just FYI.

19. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Thanks Nick for the update and additional information. :D
    Looking forward to it.
    Keep up the good work. :thumb: ;)

20. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

FCE,
    I had periodic slow or no updates with AVG AS for a time. Fairly frequent "server is not ready to update.." messages.
    Appears to be largely resolved, now, updates usually no problem.

21. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

No one mentioned Comodo BOClean as option:
    free, auto updates, covers more than spyware.
    Lean mean and fast.
    Excluder
    etc
    etc
    etc
    :)

22. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Post #3 did.
    But BOClean is a good choice.:thumb:

23. ramoncin

ramoncin Registered Member

Hi,
    I am also interested in a free AntiSpyware solution and was wondering:
    1- how does BoClean spyware protection compare to SpywareTerminator's
    2- is CyberHawk a better HIPS than SpywareTerminator?
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.