Has anyone else had problems with KAV 6.0?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graphic Equaliser, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graphic Equaliser

Graphic Equaliser Registered Member

When I first tried KAV 6.0 out (a fully licenced copy), I was pleased with the way it alerted me to DLL code injection when my Borland debugger hooked into an app I was running under its auspices. I was also pleased with the way it would detect all my attempts to hook various Windows system DLL routines. I liked the interface and found it easy and intuitive to use, even doing advanced things like exemptions. The only drawback with the default settings was that they slightly slowed down my access to the company LAN and files on its server.

After a while, I decided to up the ante, and set all the KAV6.0 settings to high, so that the PC was as safe as I could make it. Access to the LAN became unuseably slow, so I tried to back all the settings down to default again. This had no effect, and the PC was slowly grinding to a halt. I let everything settle down and then rebooted the PC. Despite the settings saying they were back to default levels, access to the LAN was still unbearably slow. I uninstalled KAV6.0 and rebooted. LAN access was back to normal.

A few days later I noticed that streaming stuff from the BBC website no longer worked. In fact no streaming worked, and most web access was in some way compromised. I investigated further and found that Windows firewall had been compromised. It could not be turned on - Windows complained that the service wasn't running. I went into Services and tried to start the Windows firewall service. It complained that some routine had not been registered to the service and was "marked for deletion".
    :doubt: o_O :blink: :cautious:

I searched many system DLLs for the named routine (its name escapes my memory now), but could not find it. I had to reinstall Windows using the repair option on the "previous versions found" screen.

Far from glowing about KAV (which I would have been had the highest settings still yielded a workable PC), I am bitter and resentful. Anyone else had a similar experience with KAV6.0?

2. fce

fce Registered Member

I try KAV7 (Beta) almost we have the same problem. My WMP is not working and I always received "Closing Program" error everytime I watch news video in the internet.

3. tayres

tayres Guest

I've had similar problems in 7.0, but not at all in 6.0.

FWIW, I also installed 6.0 on a clean system as the very first application, all modules activiated and on highest settings, and have 1GB memory.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

could this by why twice during a scan yesterday superantispyware closed with an error?
    lodore

5. Graphic Equaliser

Graphic Equaliser Registered Member

All I know is that KAV 6 really hooks in deep to the system. When you uninstall it, or play with settings, you can "ruin" the comms parts of your PC. I had trouble streaming anything, so news streams on WMP would be affected. KAV 6 hooks into the Internet at NDIS level, which is as deep as you can go. Perhaps that's the problem.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

kis7.0 doesnt have the streaming internet problem since the network driver is completely redesigned.
    just to note the eset beta also uses a ndis network driver.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.