Look 'n' Stop 2.06 Gets a Miss

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by pvsurfer, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Lol "bash the things you dont understand" philosophy at work here :D
    His main problem seemed to be LnS was "noisy" He listened to the ping sounds for ONE HOUR!!?
    He turned off the computer sound to get it to be quiet?!
    It makes me wonder if he really was interested in trying to understand what the software does at all. He obviously didnt even try to look at the options. That makes me wonder if he even tried to understand how to make network rules.
    Sure LnS can be hard to set up if you are not willing to learn, but to bash it because you dont know how to turn off the sound in LnS? whats that all about?

o_O

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

This guy tests software? LOL, he's exactly like my mother, but she hardly touches the computer. I'm sure she would figure it out! I know i turned off the beep in 1 minute the first time i used it LOL, not for the whole Computer!!

Do not waste time with this "newsletter". Funny anyway :thumb:

4. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi pvsurfer :)

I read somewhere this remark:

You have nothings to say today? Simple: blog it! :rolleyes:

The comments in Mr. Scott News Letter are at the level of a 5 years old little girl (obese, red haired , with a finger in the nose hole!)

He don't find the way to stop sounds in Windows
    He don't find the way to stop sounds in LNS | Option tab | sound
    He don't find the way to stop sounds in LNS | Internet Filtering | 5th column ...

He even don't find a way to stop the WWW pollution with his st00pid News Letter.

You know what? I want ONE Dollar for each stupid comment I read on WWW.

Very soon I will be a Zillionaire, leave Canada (that boring country!), and living in a desert isle with Polynesians girls only !

and

[MOVE]NO COMPUTER AT ALL! :mad:[/MOVE]

I'm totally fed up with the interNUTs!

[MOVE]AAAaaaaRRRRrrrGGLLL ! o_O [/MOVE]

5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Sorry; my sole intent here was just to bring Scot's comments to the attention of this forum (certainly no LnS bashing was intended on my part)!

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

We're not shooting the messenger. :)

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Np problem pvsurfer, as Pedro says :)
    I meant this scot character´s "review"

8. Climenole

Hi pvsurfer :)

Keep smile ! :D

[MOVE]LNS Forums = solutions + FUN ;) [/MOVE]

Best regards,
    :)

9. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I know that I haven't yet came across an good firewall product that weren't hands-on type, it seems improbable that there's such that isn't hands-on type.

Reading through his reviews on software firewalls for windows, I felt it was very unprofessional, and really, how many reliable sources says things like "And if you don't have a life ..."?

One thing that should be so noticeably obvious is that this person didn't put any time and effort into this to make a worth-wild review, actually seemed more like an firewall elimination and an Comodo promotion.

With Look 'n' Stop progressing there likely be many more amateur reviews, mainly from those who favouring other software firewalls... ;)

10. nuser

nuser Registered Member

OOps, the whole 'review' is like a joke.
    Wonder the author has just bought a computer and began to learn how to plug headphone, etc.:-* :-*

11. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I emailed Scot about his review and advised him he could disable those pinging sounds and he responded to me that he was aware of that. He said with the sounds disabled what good was the Firewall :blink: o_O . He clearly doesn't understand rules based firewalls since almost all his reviews are of Application based firewalls...:cool:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  12. Climenole

Hi ALL :D

I'm proud to annouce you that LNS is now:

Attached Files:

13. lookcity

lookcity Registered Member

Such a funny logo , it remind me of models in clothes shop.:)

The correction is welcome.

14. Climenole

Hi lookcity :)

You're absolutly right!

Scott is an expert in clothes sweat shop therefore :rolleyes: in firewall too. :eek:

Your Employees/Firewall makes too much noise? Call Scott for a free evaluation!

:D

15. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

Wow, that's a "catch 22"!
    Let's see: he disabled the ping sounds because he couldn't stand them, then he complains without the sound the firewall is useless?

sound=useless fw
    no sound=useless fw?

What's he asking?! :blink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-22_(logic)

16. Climenole

Hi danieleb :)

He ask for a LIFE (without LNS...).

Scott say:

« Look 'n' Stop appears to have been designed to give you this level of granular notification and control. And if you don't have a life [:rolleyes: ], and like to manage your software firewall this intimately, it may be the product for you. But I have better things to do. Much better. [ :cautious: ] »

[MOVE] :eek: LNS user? Get a life man! GET A LIFE! :eek: [/MOVE]

;)

I guess Scott's name becomes a running gag in this forum.

17. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

What better things?
    Like writing stuff without substance and publish it on the internet... now that's living :rolleyes:

(and I would have thought, being a L'n'S user, I had no life...)

Yeah, better not be a "Scotty" and stop contributing to this thread :D

EDIT: I bet he hears "pings" in his sleep :D

18. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

This is just one of those cases where one makes it more than what it really is, being manipulating and deceiving, just another type of firewall elimination process by an amateur.

... Just look at how he went in punching, he went out punching and promoting another firewall. Not to worry Look 'n' Stop fans, this here reaper didn't know how to wheel his scythe... :D

19. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Well I've used several Firewalls in the past, Simply because I thought one was better than the other and Vice Versa Blah Blah Blah! :rolleyes: or so Vendors claimed. Today I installed L'n'S on My Vista Desktop and I love the way its so unobtrusive and Uses very little resources, In fact virtually none :cool: After a few beeps here and there it stopped beeping, I dont know what they mean, but I'm sure the Firewall knows what its doing, So good work to the French People :D "Nous Somme Du Soleil" :cool:

20. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive been using looknstop after reinstalling w98 recently ,wanting to keep everything streamlined.Im absolutely crap at rule making and firewall technicalities,(thats why i would ask the more knowledgeable folks here)but even i know how to turn the sounds off in it.Its hard to believe that the article is supposed to be the review of a professional.
    ellison

21. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I've read Scot's newsletter for several years and if you go through his archives he has done good reviews on several programs. He writes for the ordinary off the street computer user. But this was the most biased and amateurish review I have ever read from him. He seemed to want to dismiss Look N' Stop write out of the gate, in fact he did..:rolleyes: :cautious: :)

22. cdr

cdr Registered Member

23. Ragnarok85

Ragnarok85 Registered Member

:D , I owe this forum and the people that posted on the subject here a huge "THANKS". For a long time I've been looking for a feature-rich and relatively easy-to-configure firewall that doesn't create any problems of its own concerning (among others) Internet access and one of the only ones(besides Windows XP' own "firewall") has always been Look 'n Stop. Being around firewall security testing/sharpening for 5 years makes you appreciate well-working memory-friendly software.

Expect for that brain-melting constant "di-ling" that it produces. I did figure it comes from network traffic as some few other firewalls have the same "function", but I can't but laugh afterwards that I never realized theres a "sound"-checkbox in the "Options"-tab. I was very quick to uninstall LNS as soon as it started blinging and thus never understood I could possibly disable it as well(and afterwards when using some other firewall never got around googling a solution for the damn thing).

So, thanks VERY much for all the help, I'm using LNS at least for the trial period and prob. buying it too if it works well on my comp. It doesn't have the graphs of some junky memory-hoarding firewalls but hey, who the hell wants that when he can have a working, easy to set-up firewall. Thanks again.

24. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

LnS 2.06p2 with SPF is the best (user definable) packet filter firewall I know.

Who is scot?, did scot look at, try and config the firewall? From inability to simply turn off audio alert, I would think not.

25. shaunwang

shaunwang Registered Member

That fellow is probably an amateur in disguise as a professional in his field.

I wondered how he test those firewall...

In his term
    I tried running that on Vista and Window XP both are super disappointing with it Eset should stays as a malware management tools and not messing too much into the network security management line. Their firewall looks simple I wonder how safe is that to be compared to LNS or Jetico.

That Scot do not know about filters driver based works much more better than GUI filtering( Eset Firewall uses driver based = more resources also). Firewall that allow fully customization and "what you do is what you get " type of methodology".

He should have stop wrtiting reviews about Firewall which he did not fully test it out.
    ZZZ.... his term noisy is a serious offense to me as a Fan of LooknStop , Jetico , Comodo. These are excellent made product for users with Full of Life, the thirst for manually adding rules, the joy of seeing packets being solved one by one, the joy of seeing what is incoming and outgoing, understanding how rules works and its effect :D .....

Every Firewall has its weakness but then with patience and keen in learning I believe every firewall is a great product. Their main purpose is to isolate, alert,block, defend and kill malicious packets.( It the user that is the one that made the product excellent on his/her computer not the product that comes out automatically set in free of worries <--- always be suspicious for such type, plus these are types of product that do not even show you what is the main script they blocking)

He should have used windows personal firewall... that one is great for him and the perfect choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.