"Volume Explorer" in Paragon Drive Backup 8.51 Pro

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by flinchlock, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

I have been working with my latest purchase Paragon Drive Backup 8.51 Pro.

Besides the usual set of backup/restore/archive/image stuff, it also has "Volume Explorer".

As the attached screen print shows, I can see all files everwhere on my entire hard drive... all files in $ISR, all hidden NTFS "$" files, and all the files in my Linux partiton. :D :D

AND, I can also export any of those files so I can look inside them with a simply text editor.

For example...

<right-click> on C:\WINDOWS\$Boot
    Export to C:\TEMP
    notepad C:\TEMP\$Boot

Mike

Attached Files:

2. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Hi Mike:

One feature i noticed right off the bat with PARAGON DRIVE BACKUP is no way to browse the archive/image, and/or copy out or add in individual files aside from INCREMENTALS of course.

What's you take on that? Plus i have an issue i posted at the PARAGON forums i'm waiting on word about. Seems it IMAGED great and RESTORED fine also with HOT! Processing technology (VSS) on 2 of my 3 Partitions, one of which is the Primary (active) system which PARAGON also saves the MBR and all that. But on the remaining partition i get an ERROR that it cannot read the volume about 1/4 the way along during imaging. I run CHKDSK and held my breath because my FD-ISR Archives are also there, ALL OF THEM :gack: CHKDSK returned all 3 stages clear. So theres another puzzle for me to find.

3. flinchlock

right-click on archive, "Mount the Selected Archive", stuff happens... I now have a Drive F: of that archive. :D

Ouch. I have not gotten that far in my usage yet.

Mike

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I'll look into that. I first have to try to make another image from that partition that i keep getting, VSS: Can't Read Volume error. I wonder if i can mount the archive even if it's aborted and incomplete. Hmmmm.

Also don't it just figure? I went to the trouble of getting XYPlorer because i can open up $ISR snapshots and allow you to move them in and out, and now Volume Explorer does the same thing. In all likelihood, any Paragon Hard Drive Manager likely does that. Hmmmm, i'll test that right now with my old version 6.0.

5. flinchlock

Yes, I saw that you used XYPlorer and it is $, so I skipped it.

And, guess what, WinHex will also do it. :D

Mike

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

EUREAKA!!! again!

ALL OPERATIONS HAVE FINISHED! I don't believe it? :eek:

The third time really must be a CHARM :) Earlier issue, RESOLVED!

What i done this time was change from VSS to Paragon's HOT! copy engine and no errors this time thank goodness. I don't know what it is about $M's VSS shadow copy but it must not be exactly to task as it should.

So now there it sits, all 23.1GB of data respectfully marked as arc_260507161757210.PBF of the image i made while typing all this. Completed in 30.04 Minutes.

7. flinchlock

I "assume" that change you did for PDB851 (Paragon Drive Backup), did NOT affect FD-ISR... right?

Mike

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Access from menu Back Up tab. Go to the next box.

Checkmark, change backup settings: Click NEXT

Go To Hot Processing Options in that menu of 4.

I changed from Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service to Paragon Hot Processing engine.

Issue/error resolved.

9. flinchlock

Ahhh, yes, I did understand that.

But, I was asking if that change would or would not affect FD-ISR. I assume you also use VSS (Volume Shadow Copy) with FD-ISR... right?

Mike

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i was gonna surgest that.
    ive had no problems using the paragon hot processing.
    so i never used the microsoft vss
    lodore

11. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Absolutely Not! Although the VSS affected i believe the Shadow Protect imaging program that Peter2150 discovered as a bug, since then and others who posted that RSS was quicker in response to doing snapshots/archives, i took the liberty of applying the code instructions to my own FD-ISR to run only on RSS.

Now this VSS problem is beginning to give me suspicions that it's best to use the Programs own Hot Processing Engine and leave M$'s buggy VSS alone. I never seen once where a microsoft driver or some other code they fashioned didn't cause problems for users.

Think about it, especially as regards IMAGING & ROLLBACK apps like FD-ISR. They planned ahead by implimenting their own copy engine as a choice for users. Why would those developers take such a measure as this if they didn't discover some potential that VSS could make for a problem somewhere down the line. I'm sure they researched it enough to not depend solely on VSS but offer a choice.

BTW, My FD-ISR snapshots are completely in order and i booted to everyone of them, which now stands at a whopping 8. :cool:

Hope that helped answer some of your concerns, LoL.

Next agenda, image to DVD's and also store some FD-ISR archives to a few others. I am leaving not a single stone left unturned. I think some of ErikAlbert is rubbing off on me. :D

12. flinchlock

Per http://drive-backup.com/corporate/professional/features
    Another reason I have replaced Ghost 2003 (Goodbye Old Friend :oops:).

Mike

13. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Well, back to Square-One again. :(
    I just experienced a very real False Alarm. Seems i ticked (incorrectly) the partition that Paragon Drive Backup already successfully imaged without error.

Thanks to your Volume Explorer lead (Thanks), i checked those files and noticed they WERE NOT from my partition H:\WAREHOUSE, which is the one that is giving me difficulty for some reason. So that jump to conclusion over Paragon Copy Engine vs. VSS at this time has no merit, at least not yet for me.

I'll have to wait to see what answer PARAGON Support can offer but in the meantime i have a whole weekend to hunt for this needle in a haystack. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.