Pinging FanJ: TI problems

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Acadia, Dec 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hey FanJ, I downloaded the trial version of True Image this morning and made an image. Everything worked just fine so I paid for and downloaded the full version; that's when the problem began. Following the exact same steps as the trial version, and of course the screens are all the same too, I keep getting an 1706 error about Windows Installer unable to locate the Microsoft Office 2000 Disc 2o_O What the heck does MS Office have to do with my trying to make an image backup and why did I not get this message using the trial version. Yes, I emailed Acronis support and I'm waiting for an answer but was wondering if you have heard anything about this. The Acronis faqs and support info on their web site do not mention anything about this. o_O

Thanks, and here's to hoping that Acronis can make the "paid for" version as smooth as the trial was, take care.

Acadia

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Acadia, one clarification just to be sure of the situation... The error you are getting occurs when you are trying to install the final (purchased) version, correct? It is not that you installed it successfully and now when you actually run TI it pops the warning up each time.

If this is the case, you are right that there is no connection between TI and MS Office, however, there are many issues with the windows installer alerting on previous issues with an Office install. The SpywareBlaster forum has a great many occurrences of this problem. Sometimes the easy solution is to just give the install the requested Office disk when it asks for it. (This has fixed the problem in a few case.)

However, most of the time people have found that they need to deinstall and reinstall MS Office to fix the Office install. You see it isn't TI that is actually causing the problem if this is happening when you are trying to install it. The "installer package" itself is really the problem and very often a MS Office install problem will be found when using the windows installer on other packages.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks for replying LWM. True Image installs just fine, just like the Trial did. The error pops up when I am trying to actually make an image, which worked just fine in the Trial version. To repeat: this error occurs when attempting to use the already fully installed full version; it occurs in about the second or third step of image making. Again, thanks.

Acadia

4. LowWaterMark

Ah, okay.

Can you tell us the exact step? I also have TI here and am running through the different screens to see if there are any clues. It might provide some valuable information to Acronis if the exact step is identified.

There's the "main screen" > "Action selection" > (system scanning for partitions occurs here then...) "Select partitions... screen" > (an external exe is run at this point to access the destination media options, such as finding CDs) "Image archive creation screen" > (disk is scanned for estimations on size of image) "Compression Level screen" > "Password screen" > "Comments screen" > confirmation screen where you hit "Proceed".

Is the error during these selection screens or after you hit proceed and it starts the 3 step imaging process?

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, LWM, here’s what happens:

I bring up True Image and a Welcome screen greets me, I click on Next.

The next screen gives me three choices and I choose the top one that says Create an Image of a Partition or Whole Hard Drive. I click on Next and the program starts analyzing my partitions.

After it is finished, on the next screen that it gives me, I choose my C:Drive and click Next.

Now I get a little box that says Wait While Windows Configures Microsoft Office 2000. o_O This box never appeared with the Trial version.

Within a couple of seconds a second small box appears that says Feature You are Trying to Use is on a CD-ROM that is Not Available. Insert the Microsoft 2000 Office Disc 2 and click Continue. o_O o_O

I instead click on Cancel and receive another small box that says Error 1706, Windows Installer Cannot Continue. o_O o_O o_O

That’s it, and to repeat, not of this happened with the Trial verson.

Thanks LWM for taking the time.

Acadia

6. LowWaterMark

Okay, it is occurring at the point where I said above that the external EXE file is run to determine destination media options. That process is probably what is causing this then.

I can not explain the fact that this didn't happen with the trial version. On that I have no idea. I still believe that the advice I gave in my first reply is valid. If it were me, I would give it the MS Office CD it is asking for. It is Windows installer doing it... Windows install can fire up in the background for any number of reasons on XP. (All the auto-support / auto-install options in Windows are meant to automatically give you supported drivers and optional software functions that are not install by default, but which can be installed on demand.)

Again, I don't have any idea why the trial worked differently, but the fact that Windows Installer is asking for the disk really makes me believe its simply a case where a supported thing (driver, program, utility...) is being called that is not installed on your system yet.

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Acadia,

Oops, I have to admit that I don't have the solution :oops:
    I never saw such a problem mentioned about TI......
    I will also ask the TI gurus at DSLR......

Maybe it is a good idea to give your OS.
    About which TI version are you talking: I assume the workstation version?
    The English version?
    Did you install the latest one: version 6.0 build 350 ?

Big thanks to LWM for his thoughts about this (I didn't know about that, Mike).

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

LWM, that is really weird. What if I was a person who did not even have Office 2000 available, would True Image then be useless for me? Also, wouldn't the True Image install have given the program all the drivers, etc. that it needs?

Acadia

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

FanJ, I ASSume I have the latest version since I just downloaded it this morning and it is the one that they offered me. It is version 6.0.0.342, English workstation version. I have Win98se. Thanks.

Acadia

10. LowWaterMark

No, part of the wonder of this install on demand technology is that your system knows what you have and would only ask for install media related to what you have. (At some point you must have run into Windows rebuilding a driver, maybe for networking, or when you've installed something you see prompts on the system as it reads the embedded copy of the main Windows install CDs (that most of us have resident/copied on to our systems). It's all similar stuff.)

If you ask me if I'd be concerned about this happening I can truly say no. Through all the Windows systems I've been on and the number of times I've gone to use something for the first time and seen a request for base install media to get some needed component, I've gotten used to it.

As I said, I don't think this is True Image itself. The process that is scanning for destination media most likely ended up trying to access a component that is referenced as optional "on your system", (in this case from the Office media used to install Office on to your system), and that triggered Windows install to try to get that component, it fired up the Windows Installer and wants the source media it knows has that component.

My degree of certainty on this I'll give as, oh 95%. The other 5% tells me that you may give it the media and it'll still come back and say it couldn't find what it needed. In that case I'll fall back on my other advice above, just like in all the SpywareBlaster examples of this, that you may need to do a clean install of Office again.

11. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Acadia,

We have both the same OS: W 98 SE.

BUT you don't have the latest TI version.
    The latest is: 6,0,0,350

Please register your TI at the Acronis site, assign yourself a password at their site, and then go to the following site from where you can get the latest version:

http://www.acronis.com/support/updates/

I am not saying that this will solve your problem, but please give it a try !!!.
    Once you have downloaded the latest version, you can install over the top (no need to uninstall previous version; TI will take care of that all). Of course: install only when all programs (except Explorer and Systray) are closed and a quick scandisk tells you there is no error.

Please let us know how it goes.
    Good luck !!!

Cheers, Jan.

12. LowWaterMark

Ah, good catch Jan! :)

Yes indeed, a clean reinstall of TI at the current latest version (I have 350 here, too) would be a good next step to see if that resolves it. If it's still the same after that, then I'd feed it the Office disk when it asks for it.

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmmm, interesting. I just received email from Acronis. They are releasing TI version 7.0 on Tuesday. :eek:

Acadia

14. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks for the news, Acadia !!!!!!!!!

Yep, we knew it would come somewhere in the near future (it was already available in Germany in the German version).

Cheers, Jan.

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

FanJ, I took your advice, registered, and downloaded the latest version, 350 ... the same thing is still happening. I'm puzzled why Acronis gave me an older version to DL this morning, and also this problem is really frustrating. Well, I guess I'll wait for a reply from Acronis and for version 7.0. I'm trying to keep the faith! FanJ and LWM, thanks for the help, you're the best.

Acadia

16. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Acadia,

I assume that you installed that latest version 6 build 350, right?
    Did you really close every program (except Explorer and Systray) during installation?

OK, assuming you did all that in the old fashioned way right ;)

Did I understand you right that your problem is happening not during installation but during the process of making a backup?

If you -for some reason- don't want or cannot follow Mike's advices, why not try the following:

Usually you make backup with TI while you run TI under Windows.
    However, you can also run TI from its bootable floppies (or bootable CD), and in that case TI runs from its own Linux-kernel.
    I wonder whether you would get in that case the same problems. You could give it a try.....

Cheers, Jan.

17. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Registered Member

Hi Acadia ,

I had something of the same problem when my wife insisted I install Incredimail ( yes I know it's trouble but she is my wife ) anyway after installing incredimail , when I would try to activate it I would get office 2000 tying to install a program and looking for an installation disc , the only cure I could find that finally worked was to uninstall office , uninstall incredimail and then reinstall incredimail , then I did a custom install of office , only installing the programs of office that we normally used like word , accel and power point I never had the problem again .

It may or may not work for you but give it a try.

Good Luck ,
    Frank

18. root

root Registered Member

Acadia, I just want to mention here, that I have had various problems off and on thru the years with ALL of the drive imaging programs. Due to the nature of what they do, they are somewhat sensitive to all the various issues that Windows can have.

I finally settled on TI as version 6 seemed to be very stable. Well, I use Total Uninstall, and I used it to install my first version 6 and used it to uninstall that first version when I went to install the latest version. For some strange reason, Total Uninstall removed one file too many when it uninstalled my original version and I did not know what was going on. Could not even install the newer version.

Tech support from Acronis worked with me intensly for several days trying to get to the bottom of the issue, but I finally had to restore an image I had made previously. Wasn't TIs fault. Acronis support is for real, so I try to spread the word.

Keep the faith. :D Sometimes it just takes a while to get some issues resolved.

19. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks both Root and Grasshopper !!! ;)

Hey Ghery, my dear friend,

Good posting !!!
    It gives me the opportunity to advice once more to use some kind of File Integrity Checker, and put all TrueImage files in its database !!!
    I'm serious !!!!!

20. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

The latest: I have not yet heard back from Acronis support. Using GoBack I uninstalled 6.0.0.350 but I'm keeping the Downloaded Installer just in case. Tomorrow, supposedly, they release 7.0 and I will try that; hopefully that will work better. (Still trying to keep the faith!)

Acadia

21. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yo, FanJ or anyone else with Acronis experience, have you ever needed to contact Acronis tech support? If so, on average about how long does it take to hear back from them? It's been two whole days now and not a peep from them. Thanks.

Acadia

22. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Acadia,

In my experience not that long.
    But I just did read a posting from someone at DSLR-software who said he also was still waiting for a reply for several days.

The only thing I can think of for the moment, is that they are very busy at the moment at Acronis cause the workstation version 7 has just been published.
    I can imagine that they are extremely busy there now.....

23. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Just in case anyone is interested, it has now been 10 days since I last heard from Acronis tech support, December 11th. Still TRYING to keep the faith. :mad:

Acadia

24. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Acadia,

Sorry to hear that !
    I have just emailed Acronis, with link to this thread.
    I hope that they will reply in some way and that your problem will be fixed.

(PS: I myself am a few days off after Christmas).

Cheers, Jan.

25. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Gee thanks FanJ, I wasn't expecting that. :eek: I really appreciate it. Have a Merry one! :)

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.