TrendMicro's TrendProtect VS McAfee's SiteAdvisor

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by spider_darth, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spider_darth

spider_darth Registered Member

Between the 2, which is better?

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

At this moment, SiteAdvisor is better. TrendProtect relies only in Google's database according to a PC Mag review.
    Link Scanner is better than these two, IMHO.
    Anyway, don't rely too much on these tools. They give you a second opinion, the final decision is yours ;)

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I agree with Lucas, SiteAdvisor is better and more comprehensive. What I noticed about TrendProtect though is that it does not impact surfing speed as much as SA. I have Link Scanner Lite at the moment with Scandoo. That's because I just wanted info about search query results. I don't have LS check search results but have it enabled where I can right click and check each link. The search query results were just too slow with LSL. It is understandable why it is slow because each site is checked in real time. But a rating of the site is not available (as in spam or potential spyware downloads), just whether it is currently malicious. But if the choice is between TP and SA, TP is much better unless you notice slower surfing speed and consider that an important issue.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I agree totally. Link scanner is much better as it sacns in real time with latset data base. Pro is more better.( With free version one drawback with LS is that it will scan only ggogle reults while simple web browsing will not be benefited unless u have Pro, while in SA u get site,s rating( red, green, bue etc in a small toolbar) while even simple browsing. So I combine bothe LS free and SA free.
    Like Lucas said, they are not to be relied upon so much.

5. acr1965

Do you use LSL and SA free in the same search results?

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya, see the screenshot.
    I really don,t need but i sometimes use them just to see how they rate diferent sites.
    My main browser is opera that is not suported, I use Scandoo in opera as my default serach engine.
    IE has none of these things( except for SpoofStick- again just for fun mainly) and is not used except rarely.

Attached Files:

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW I want to ask, what is the purpose of LS running in Tray and getting updates in free version. Doesn,t it scan google results from web site data base. I have disable autostart of it( LinkScanner monitor.exe), no tray icon and it still works.
    Anyone?

8. spider_darth

spider_darth Registered Member

Currently, I've SA installed. And, it doesn't seem to be slowing down my PC.

I tried using scandoo from http://www.scandoo.com/ to google, and I find it's rather slow in displaying the green, 'spider' or cross on the search results. And, does scandoo scan the website itself too while i'm browsing?

aigle : How does SA compare with LSL?

What do u mean by 'LSL scans in real time with latest database'?
    What does SA do? Doesn't scan real-time? Then how it determines whether the site is good or bad?

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If u have LS pro, it scans all web pages for exploits in real time while SA relies upon a relatively older data base on its main server and fetches results about the page from there.
    So if a legit site gets hacked and has an exploit on it, it will be detected by LS Pro but it will be missed by SA( until they update their sata base on main server that will be slow or might never happen as probably the legit site will become clear of exploit after a few days). LS pro has daily updates for exploits data base etc.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I suspect LS will only tel u about active threats/ exploits/ drive-by downloads on the page, not about a download that is done by user intention.
    BTW all these tools might have different opinion about some sites and all/ some of them can be wrong at times.
    To me it,s more of a matter of persnal choice, impact on surfing speed, browser integration etc. But LS Pro is definitely better of all these.

12. rogert30062

rogert30062 Registered Member

Hey Lucas,

I've not spoken to you for a while. Just to emphasize the issues of why real time is better than html, you might be interested in a video we made recently about google adwords being used to link to exploit sites...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD0wdzQb8XY

with a hi-res version at

http://explabs.com/media/movies/nailedin30seconds.mp4

if anyone is interested.

Yes, I know I sound a bit like Steve Irwin, and I was often tempted to say "Crikey" and "Isn't it a little beauty".

Cheers

Roger

13. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

The Google Adwords thing :D
    That thing ran like fire around press :p
    Fortunately, I use Customize Google, so I don't see any ads.

I continue thinking that Link Scanner is the best site rating tool at this moment. Perhaps Finjan's Secure Browsing will be a competitor once they fix the bugs.
    Best regards.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  14. acr1965

Yes that screenshot is a nice picture, especially search result #2 that shows a yellow from LS and a green from SA. The safer bet there certainly would be to go with the LS opinion. Then there are some red listings from SA and yellow (probably questionable site ownership) and the safer bet would be to go with SA, especially on some crack sites. That page certainly shows a comprehensive search result. Very nice for the safe surfer. Interesting of the four sites from the search result, only one has the same rating from both SA and LS although I would be highly suspicious of any of them. Is the results of the LS/SA combo about the same real-time as either of them separately? Or is it much longer?

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Did not appreciated any slowdowns.
    LS is bit slow in itself to scan all links.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.