Why can't I view hidden files?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by spider_darth, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spider_darth

spider_darth Registered Member

I created a folder and hid it by right clicking on it, and clicking properties, then selecting the hidden icon.

This folder was paler than all the other folders so i know it's hidden. When I went to folder options in Windows Explorer and change it to hide hidden folders, this folder naturally could not be seen. However, when I went back to folder options, i found that 'show hidden folders' was selected instead of 'hide hidden folders', and went i click on the 'show hidden folders' again... no hidden folder could be seen.

May I know how can I view my hidden files and folders?

2. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Just a shot in the dark but are you using XP and are you using it as a Limited User? If so you could try to log on as an Adminitrator and try the settings again in Explorer>Tools. Also do you have the box unchecked that says Hide protected system operating files?

3. spider_darth

no.. mine is a full user, and i'm log in as the administrator.

in the past, i was able to hide and show hidden files and folders. however, recently, it is no longer able to do so.

the box with 'hide protected system operating files' is checked. is it supposed to be checked?

when i unchecked it, my hidden files still cannot be viewed in Windows Explorer. May I know how to enable viewing?

Thanks in advance!

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Did you click on the button "Apply to all folders" ? Otherwise it applies only to the current folder.

5. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    After you have checked Show hidden files and folders and unchecked Hide protected operating system files and closed Explorer have you reopened Explorer and checked if the settings have not changed? If that happened you may have some malware and you can go here to see what the solution was for someone else. Do not just go about that willy-nilly, though. You may need to do a HijackThis! run and post it in a forum where they analyse it for you such as Castle Cops here.

EDIT: Thought there was posted a URL link to the other person's problem but cannot find it now. Sorry. they were being encouraged to get help to clean the computer of malware.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

7. spider_darth

THANK YOU!!!

It's really Free Hide Folder! After I uninstalled it, everything went back to normal and I'm now able to view all my hidden files as always! THANKS!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.