Additional Security Software?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by BigAlt, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAlt

BigAlt Registered Member

I just downloaded the trial version of NOD32, yesterday. I had been using Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security (latest edition), and it had been indicating I had
    a Troj_Conhook.aa virus. It could neither remove or delete it. After having read glowing reports re: NOD32, I decided to try it. It not only found this virus, as well as two others, but it was able to eliminate all of them. I'm impressed! I expect to download the regular version, but am unclear as to whether I need to download any additional, complimentary security software. I will appreciate your thoughts on the matter, and if the answer is yes, specifically what software. Thanks.

BigAlt

2. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Yes, go for NOD you can't be wrong :D . I'd strongly advise you against installing any other antivirus software apart from NOD and running both simultaneously. This would result in severe software conflicts, substantial slowdown in system performance, and under certain circumstances, may even render your computer inoperatible. However, you can look to a seperate firewall to provide you an additional level of protection against ever-evolving internet threats. In that case you must disable Windows-integrated firewall, where most of current firewall solutions offer this option during installation. A good choice is Outpost if you're running Windows XP, which is powerful, higly-configurable and works flawlessly with NOD32.

3. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

BigAlt,

welcome to Wilders and the nod32 community.

as regards other protection, I have run a couple of other spyware solutions on machine since before I was running nod32 - the funny thing is, they have NEVER found anything SINCE I installed nod32... so would I get rid of them... no... because a layered defence system makes sense to me. Do I expect to need them... not really.

The choice is yours though.

As mentioned, don't run multiple AV solutions or realtime scanners - they will conflict and slow you down... but AV and firewall - that is up to you - I run windows firewall and a hardware natted router - that seems to do for firewall for me.

hth

Greg

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You can see various security setups within a link in my signature.

Cheers :D

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

BigAlt,as already said , it is up to you .

A firewall is a must - to be protected against intrusions (hackers/net worms) . Everything else is just additional . I keep resident only NOD32 on all my computers and I also keep handy Ewido micro scanner which is a good software for second opinion . I run it once or twice a month just in case :D NOD32 is perfect anti-threat system :thumb:

6. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I only use NOD32 and a firewall. Every month or so I also scan my system with some online scanners like F-Secure, Trend-Micro & Ewido. I've been doing that for years and so far it has worked quite well.

7. madaro

madaro Guest

Like Brian N, I only use NOD32 and a firewall also, in my case, the XP firewall. Since installing NOD32, I have had no need for other security applications. Your mileage may vary, depending on computer use and surfing habits.

8. BigAlt

BigAlt Registered Member

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. They are much appreciated.

BigAlt

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Besides NOD I run SuperAntispyware on demand and a router. Thats all folks. :)

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Brian,
    Have any of the online scanners ever found any malware on your machines?

Thanks,
    Jerry

11. Brian N

Only spyware as far as I remember.

12. koliko

koliko Registered Member

13. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

Earlier I was also using Trend Micro Internet security Suite.

Now i am using NOD32 + Comodo Firewall + AVG antispyware free

101% protected. :D

14. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

It's a pity that no seperate third party firewalls seem to be vista-ready yet at present

15. Brian N

Jetico should work on Vista.

16. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Thanks Brian. Jetico's still in beta stage if I'm correct, which means possible bugs, and I wonder if it has a free version?

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , it has free version

18. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Good to know, thanks

19. bmatson

bmatson Registered Member

I had been running both AVG Anti-Spyware (real-time) and NOD32 for months with no problem, but then my system began bogging down horribly (disk chattering non-stop). I also noticed that NOD had written HUGE (1/2 Gb or so) temp files in Windows\Temp, filling up the C: drive. I deleted them, and they were re-created at an alarming rate (over 5 Gb in 2 days).

This prompted me to upgrade NOD to ver 2.7, and that install warned against simultaneous real-time scanners, so I removed AVG from real-time status, and this seems to have solved the problem. Not sure why things ran so well for so long, unless an update to either AVG or NOD broke things.

To avoid such mysterious problems in the future, I would like an opinion on running DiamondCD's ProcessGuard simultaneously with NOD. Also, anyone notice problems with Look'N'Stop firewall with NOD? How about PeerGuardian? I'm probably running too many security progs in real-time, but I've been very happy with NOD for over 3 years, so if there are compatibility issues, the other progs will be chucked first. Any thoughts? Thanks.

bmatson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.