Extra antivirus scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chaos16, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

I know u shouldn't have 2 antivirus with realtime protection.

I have Kaspersky antivirus with realtime protection.

I would like to have an extra antivirus but free and the scanner only.

Is AVG free edition safe to have? or is Bitdefender free a better choice?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

KAV is one of teh best AV for protection; i doubt having a secondary AV would help much.

3. Get

Get Guest

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i agree,

and dr.webs cure it can be used as a 2nd opinion, its free, latest definations and you dont have to install it.

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

From some recommendations on this site I have Ewido=micro as a back-up. A direct d\l link can be found in this thread, post #5. Cureit is also an option. Neither require an install which is probably the best way to go.

6. madaro

madaro Guest

Kaspersky is top shelf, with an extensive database. I see no reason to second guess it when it comes to malware detection capability, but nothing is 100% and if I were to want a second opinion scanner, it would be the free DrWeb CureIt utility.

7. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

i would get Avira as a second opinion.

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

yeah just install antivir without the realtime guard and use it as on demand only, it works great!

9. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I don't agree that a second AV wont help much just because you are using KAV, remember no AV is perfect and best defense is using you head ;)

But if you are to add another AV/AntiMalware app I would recommend all mentioned in this thread that don't require installation (ie. Ewido_Micro, DrWeb CureIt!) along with GMER and Trend Micro SysClean.

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I'm using DrWeb Cureit for a second opinion. Would definitely recommend. Frequent updates, involve downloading the application in entirety, 5.5Mb.

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I would never recommend AVG AV, neither to my enemies, I am not that bad person. [​IMG]
    Dr.Web CureIt is an excellent choise (a russian product & KAV's oponent) along with Avira.

12. chaos16

So this would be my best choice Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic.

Is the latest version 7.0? or is that the latest free version?

But its good enough right? it detects all kings of malaware and removes it right?

with no realtime protection :D

13. CReal

CReal Registered Member

Avira is very good.But unfortunately,most antivirus nowdays,still run their services in the task manager,even if you use them on demand.This is something that really annoys me ,because it's a waste of resources.From the free ones,only Avast doesn't need a running service.

14. chaos16

I installed Avira. But it slowed my computer and it didn't find anything really so i uninstalled it.

I see u recommend me to use the Dr Web Plugin from Firefox? that would be a good thing to use for extra protection with Kaspersky

15. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

You can do a free online scan with Kav, Panda, PCcillin and Bitdefender and maybe some others for a second or third opinion.

With no realtime AV I run these online scans every now and then in shadow mode and not a trace of them remain after a reboot, same as for any malware picked up after booting into shadow mode.

16. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

bit pointless doing online scan with KAV if OP already has KAV... funny :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.