ANTI-KEYLOGGER, reality or fiction

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by true north, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. true north

true north Registered Member

Hi there,

lately we have seen here in the forum more and more discussions about anti-keyloggers. I consider KEYLOGGERS as one of the most overlooked and underestimated privacy threats. It would be helpful for all of us to discuss seriously ANTI-KEYLOGGER software that help us to protect our privacy and of course software that claims a lot but for simple technical reasons ( e.g. the encryption process as a whole) CAN NOT deliver the protection as needed.
    Since pitching and the theft of privacy data pose a constantly rising threat it would be very helpful to have special anti-keylogger software that works.
    All major AV, AT and AM vendors have some kind of protection against keyloggers but is that enough and workingo_O
    Searching for anti-keylogger software I found something that's promising a lot: it would be a good start for our discussion:

www.privacykeyboard.com/privacy-keyboard.html

Quote:

""PRIVACYKEYBOARD - Anti Keylogger for workstations, small offices and home computers
    The PrivacyKeyboard™ software for Microsoft® Windows® 2000/XP is the first product of its kind in the world that can provide every computer with strong protection against ALL types of keylogging programs (keyloggers) and keylogging hardware devices (hardware keyloggers), both known and unknown, currently in use or presently being developed worldwide. It has proved a potential of creation a real anti-spy software product without use of any signature bases.

It's for the first time that personal computers of the whole world have a capability to buck various types of keylogging programs possibly included in any commercial, shareware, freeware products, as well as in Trojan horses and viruses of very different operation principles the Internet teems with. Due to the PrivacyKeyboard™, Spy software will not be able to detect your sensitive information, passwords, logins, PIN numbers etc.""

Sounds good doesn't it?
    So let us talk about ANTI-KEYLOGGER software.
    Thanks in advance for your opinion.

true north

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2007
  2. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

I've been using PrivacyKeyboard for about a year or so. Unfortunately, my knowledge about computers is not impressive so I can't say with competence if the program delivers what it claims. Apparently PK seems to automatically block everything that attempts to log keystrokes aside of processes bearing Microsoft's signature (this policy also might be disputable as some people consider Microsoft the greatest spyware of them all).

I remember that I had problems with renewing TrojanHunter's license just to find later that PK put it's LiveUpdate.exe on the exclusion list automatically. Same with PeerGuardian. When I tried to update PG or give permission to something, PG would freeze. Looking at PrivacyKeyboard's list I found pg2.exe blocked.

I use PrivacyKeyboard as my primary first-line active (real time) anti-keylogger. As the second line of defense (on demand) I rely on SpyCop (just in case PK missed something). When I scan my system with SpyCop every time it comes up with: "Driver linked in list below displays rootkit behavior". That suspicious file is c:/windows/system32/drivers/krnl akl.sys (PK's driver). I emailed Raytown Corp about this and I got the following answer:
    "We ensure you that our company doesn't deal with rootkit technologies. Nevertheless, our security products Anti-Keylogger and PrivacyKeyboard have some self-protecting mechanism that prevent the program from being deactivated by malicious software. It increases the chances for our customers to keep their sensitive data safe from keyloggers. But at the same time, it is quite possible that some other security products might classify the technique as suspicious and potentially belonging to some malware."

I tried to use KeyScrambler too but it just doesn't work on my system (it doesn't decrypt what I type - anyone has any idea?).

I see a lot of you guys here use SnoopFree. Do you think I could have it beside these apps I'm already using. Would there be any conflicts? You know, I'm very worried about keyloggers.

3. controler

controler Guest

I have been using Anti-keylogger which looks almost the same as privacy keyboard ( made by same company) and it don't stop the proof of concept posted here.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=161474

But all in all it is pretty good. I know it starts up early in windows boot.

controler

4. true north

Hi Safety First,

Thanks to share with us your experience with this specific privacy software.

true north

P.S. Keyloggers pose a real threat to our privacy and personal informations

5. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    If you think you're keylogged - format.
    Even if you are keylogged, the logs of your strokes have to go somewhere. Firewalls can play a significant role here, although best practice is to get rid of the offending software.
    You can also use live CDs for Internet sessions that require privacy and such.
    Mrk

7. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I agree. If you truely think you are keylogged OR even rootkit'ed then you really need to back up all your work, documents, photographs etc and clean your pc completely wipe the lot. Format it and start from fresh. Also Anti keylogger elite is a good antikeylogger similar to Privacykeyboard.

8. Accolite

Accolite Registered Member

Not sure if this is relevant, but over at http://www.techsupportalert.com/ both his article on Security Scanners and HIPS list some interesting info on keyloggers.

Under 16 Signature Based Security Scanners Unplugged, look about 4/5's of the way down for the section entitled "How good is it's protection again a modern blended threat?".

Onder Six HIPSPrograms Reviewed and Rated, again aout 4/5's of the way down, look for "Usage Tests: Summary Table"

I know these programs are not direct anti-keyloggers, but I thought you would appreciate the heads up.

9. true north

Thanks ACCOLITE,

interesting reading. A different angle of view to see and solve
    threats, but an important one.

Thanks

10. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Well, I guess I've found the answer:

PrivacyKeyboard + Snoop Free = system crash

After installing SnoopFree (with resident PK) I was unable to boot Windows.

11. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I used to have that exact same issue with snoopfree driver in the earlier versions. No matter what i simply could not get it to play well together with more important security programs that were neccessary to monitor the PC.

I even had reservations about it recently after going over a topic here at the forums but thought i would give in and try it once more. This time success, plus discovered it had turned free, so double-bonus on this end this time around.

Yeah, for some reason the snoopfree driver can clash with other of your programs, it's just a matter of trying to find out which one and how important or not that it serves your security.

12. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

Wow if the claims of privacykeyboard are true, you don't need snoopfree.

13. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

In fact, any BitBlt hook within kernel mode before SnoopFree's one will crash OS down. It is SF problem. I've posted this problem to its author, but had no reply so far...

14. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Has SnoopFree become a dead project? I e-mailed the auther so time ago myself and have not gotten a responce.Thinking about removing SnoopFree and looking elsewere for some form of Anti-Keylogger.

15. true north

To Ilya Rabinovich and Travellinman,

when SnoopFree is an "old" app... what about the anti -keylogger software "Pivacy-Keyboard" that I introduced here?

Thanks
    true north

16. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Yes I think it is, I believe he originally sold snoopfree, but at some point decided to give it away free, and has put little into it since. It is still quite effective at what it does though.
    It is the only program I could find that would stop partypoker from taking screenshots.

17. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Sorry- have no time for it...

18. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

90 bucks,No trial.Bad reviews from other people here(wilders).I think not.

19. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thank You Ilya Rabinovich

Your post clears up a lot of my own curiosity from the experience i have had in the past with snoopfree. For some unknown reason i no longer run into that difficulty from this last 'free" version which puzzles me.

I could never opt to purchase it because it always made serious issue on my units, then it finally goes free and no more problems, go figure because that really escapes me. LoL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.