Avast as a primary AV with Antivir as "on demand" possible?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by quadrophonic, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

I was just wondering if it's possible to run Avast with all its shields as your main Antivirus program, and use Antivir PE Classic (free) as an on demand scanner?

Specifically, I would close Avast and its services in order to run Antivir by starting its 2 services (Classic Guard and Classic Scheduler) and then updating.

Can you run Antivir with Avast still loaded and running? - or would it be better to run Antivir as the primary AV program and use Avast as 2nd program?

Currently, Antivir PE Classic as a primary AV program with Bitdefender as the 2nd. When I want to run Bitdefender, I close down the Antivir services and start the Bitdefender services.

2. FRug

FRug Registered Member

you must not activate two guards at the same time, this will definetly cause trouble...

you don't need antivir guard for doing an on demand scan.

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Putting Avast home and Antivir PE classic together is like placing two trains on the very same track head on. Collision is inevitable. I like to use Avast home as a primary AV, w/ real time sacnners activated, and use Antivir as a back up, on demand scanner only. But Antivir would not allow me to keep Avast's shields. No sharing, it demands. After careful weighing and balancing, I decide to keep Avast and kick Antivir out of my machine for good. Antivir does not have e mail scanner, a less equipped app asking more status, just can not be tolerated. Upto this day, I am pleased that I have made a right choice. :)

4. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Never run more than one guard at once. For on-demand scanning the guard does not have to be activated.

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: In my case, I keep Avast's shields and like to use Antivir as demand only( guard is disabled), but an alert from Antivir warns that Avast's shields can not be activated w/ its presence. We all know that keeping two realtime sacanners(guards) is a receipt for troubles. Have a nice one.

6. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

After perusing many posts here about having two AVs, one guard and one as a backup on demand, I've concluded like many others that two AVs isn't necessary.

The real threats out there are rootkits, spyware, keyloggers etc. and having multiple antispyware/antimalware applications is a better option.

7. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I've tried this. It is possible to configure them so they don't conflict...much. But it's a hassle, and I never found it satisfactory. (Avira guard off, don't run at startup.) Still got nag screens, and was never too sure about the status. So I went with Avast, and downloaded DrWeb Cureit, which is a standalone application for virii. It's generally only ever found FP's (heuristics) but it's a good backup. Updated at least daily...you have to redownload the entire application to update, at just over 5megs.

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah just do a custom install of antivir and deselect the guard module, keep the shell extension if you want to be able to scan from within windows explorer.

9. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

When you wanted to run Avira as a 2nd option for on demand scanning, did you try using a "services.msc" command, and then stopping all Avast services?
    When doing this, before closing Avast services, you first go to Avira's site and download a manual update.

Then unplug from the net, close the Avast services, check your task manager and end any exe files related to Avast. Then extract the Avira update zip and update the program. Start Avira (you may have to start one of the Avira services, but I'm not sure. Perhaps others will know. One poster here said you don't need to for on demand scanning).

After the scan with Avira, just close the program, and restart the Avast services (or reboot, since the Avast services are set to Automatic, they will start up again).

I think what you may have tried to do was run Avast and Avira at the same time. You can't do that with any AV programs (except for perhaps Clamwin, and with the test results of that program, is it worth it?).

The closing of services method might seem a little too much, but when you're used to it, it's quite easy.

10. theflamingbush

theflamingbush Registered Member

get rid of avast and get a better guard!

avira classic is free and the guard is second to none. it doesnt have an active email scan, but you can download AVG, and custom download so that you do not download the guard module with it, thus having active email scanning, but also having a superior active guard in place. Its not too heavy on the ram, and will give you complete protection antivir wise.

A solid firewall, with Hips (SSM?), and Sandboxied browsing will complete a FREE multi-layered security approach. On demand scanning with the secondary avg scanner is fine too and wont create any conflicts that i have noticed. The AVG antispyware 7.5 is a perfect addition as well, and although not active for the free edition is worth downloading and scanning on demand regularly. Then a free rootkit scanner, like the blacklight from F-secure should see you a happy chappy ;)

hope that helped.

11. Vissionary

Vissionary Registered Member

A bit much? Also avast is a grand AV. I personally use it, and love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.