check backup place limits afters backup?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jkrueger, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkrueger

jkrueger Registered Member

hello all,

does true image 10.0 home check the limits of a backup place after creating the image file or before creating a new image file?

best regards,
    josef krueger

2. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

josef,

You might take a look at this thread, although after reading it I'm still not sure of the answer: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=159812.

I would add that it is never wise to tempt any program to use all the available space in a hard drive or partition. -CF

3. jkrueger

jkrueger Registered Member

ok. and what happens if the oldest backup is the base backup file of a incremental or differential backup series? does acronis delete this file und the whole series is unuseable?

4. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Josef,
    What I’m seeing is that TI 10 will consolidate incremental backups into each other to stay within the limits, and will not delete the base backup and leave orphan incrementals.

For example, if you set your Backup Location to keep 3 backups, and set your scheduled task to create a new full backup after 2 incremental backups, you are asking for three total backups in this task, matching the number in your Backup Location. If you run this task six times, you should have created two full backups (call them A and B) with two incrementals each. This is the sequence I see:

A-F (full backup)
    A-F2 (first incremental)
    A-F3 (second incremental) Now you’ve reached the Backup Location limit.
    B-F (full backup) A-F2 and A-F3 are consolidated into A-F2 so you now have A-F, A-F2, B-F
    B-F2 (first incremental) A-F2 is consolidated back into A-F so you now have A-F, B-F, B-F2
    B-F3 (second incremental) A-F is deleted so you now have B-F, B-F2, B-F3

I’ve only tested this with small amounts of data, (for my own system I only use full images) but still noticed that the consolidation process can be very time consuming, and the backup task can appear to “hang” with a second or two left on the progress bar for quite a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.