Strange behavior of Google Toolbar?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Rasheed187, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I´m not sure what to think about this but I have noticed that when I search in IE it opens up a tab in Maxthon, this is only if Maxthon is running. So how does the toolbar do this? I have blocked the GoogleNotifier.exe crap btw. :rolleyes:

2. Rasheed187

Ok so nobody knows how the toolbar manages to send input to another browser? Perhaps it´s not even a real security problem, I just thought it was a bit strange. It has probably something to do with Maxthon (which is IE based) being my default browser.

3. Rasheed187

You know, I really do not trust the GoogleToolbarNotifier tool, when blocked with SSM my whole system began to act strangely. Suddenly I could not access Yahoo anymore, my keyboard didn´t function correctly anymore and I also noticed that it wants to "act as a server". And for some reason the older version (v3)won´t install correctly, I´m telling you guys, Google is not your friend. :gack:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I really don't know why folks need the Google toolbar. I had it for a while a few years ago, and I found that if I make the Google home page my home page on FF and IE, I have all the Google I need. :D

5. Rasheed187

Actually I don´t need it, because I´m using the Maxthon browser, but there are 2 noobs who refuse to use anything else but IE, so that´s why I installed the Google Toolbar. I never had any problems with v3, but v4 acts strangely. But for some reason v3 now refuses to install correctly on my system.

Another strange thing that I forgot to mention: why does the GoogleToolbarNotifier tool always gets launched via svchost.exe? I really think you can not trust v4, so that´s why I think I might install IE7 so that I can ditch the Google toolbar. o_O

6. Rasheed187

Btw it seems like you can turn the GoogleToolbarNotifier tool off in the latest version, but I also noticed that Google refuses to let you install any older version of the toolbar, this is ridiculous, can anyone confirm?

Also, in response to post number one, I forgot to mention that the Google toolbar some how managed to but a .dll file in the Maxthon process eventhough IE plugin support was disabled. So that´s what caused the strange behavior. Bottom line is that I´ve had it with Google, I don´t trust them and I will not be using any service of them anymore. :thumbd:

7. Rasheed187

Hi,

Can anyone confirm all these things that I mentioned? It now looks like Google is modifying the toolbar without asking me, or perhaps I´m just crazy. And is yahoo.com offline? I can´t reach any of Yahoo´s sites. Is Google trying to sabotage me or what? :shifty:

8. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

Maxthon still use the same engine as IE?

9. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

http://www.maxthon.com/

Dose seem strange..... Seems to be a stand alone browser not a wrap though.

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I don't see why anyone needs the Google toolbar. For convenience sake, I made the Google home page my home page on my browser. I disabled the toolbar a long time ago, not to mention the Desktop.

11. Bill Stout

Bill Stout Registered Member

Is Maxthon set as your default browser?

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I use Firefox as my primary browser, but keep IE as the default for MS updates and incoming email videos etc., and as a way to tell if a web site that fails to load is a web site problem or a browser problem. :)

13. Rasheed187

I already explained why:

Btw, it seems that if you install v3, Google will automaticly install v4, thia caused some problems I think. But now I have installed a clean version of v4, and disabled the Google Updater service. Now everything is running stable again. Of course the plan is to kick the Google toolbar of my system, IE 7 will solve the problem, but it´s not good enough yet. :rolleyes:

14. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

15. been there

been there Registered Member

forgive my ignorance, i'm new to the internet (only 6 weeks old).

question: are we discussing the same google toolbar i'm considering? is there more than one? see, i'm thinking of downloading something called a "google toolbar" for use in getting a list of annonymous ip's in that i can use to browse the net with, & you refer to something called the "googletoolbarnotifier" tool. is googletoolbar & googletoolbarnotifier the SAME thing?? dunno..too new to this..

any advice??

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

p://news.softpedia.com/news/Google-Toolbar-Prevents-Changing-the-Default-Search-Engine-31670.shtml

Check the above link for an explaination. IMO the google toolbar isn't necessary. You can search all you want in google from the google.com web page, or your toolbar in IE.

17. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

http://www.searchlores.org/fobegano.htm
    http://www.searchlores.org/noanon.htm
    http://www.searchlores.org/proxy.htm
    http://tor.eff.org/

;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.