Data Execution Prevention Exception with Microsoft RSS Feeds syncronization (Vista)

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by dvtonder, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dvtonder

dvtonder Registered Member

This is a bug I reported with the RC1 version of 2.7. I have just installed the final version 2.7.16 and the bug still exists.

--- Previous bug report ---
    I have noticed a reproducable bug in NOD 32 RC1 (and Beta version) on both Windows Vista RC2 and now in the RTM version as well. Both in clean install and upgrades. Uninstall NOD32 and the error stops.

It causes an Data Execution Prevention (DEP) Exception with the Microsoft RSS Feeds syncronization process.

To reproduce:
    1) Install Vista RTM
    2) Install NOD32
    3) Subscribe to a number of RSS feeds
    4) Set the Feeds Settings (Content tab) update option to automatically check feeds every 30 minutes.
    5) Wait - at some point, the DEP exception will occur.

2. dvtonder

Event viewer information:

Faulting application msfeedssync.exe, version 7.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549b102, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00000000, process id 0x15cc, application start time 0x01c70b7385f02ab3.

3. dvtonder

BUG: Latest 2.7.23 still causes DEP in MSFEEDSYNC.EXE (Vista)

The issue is with the auto feed update (MSFEEDSYNC.EXE) in IE7 under Vista is still not resolved in the lastest version of NOD32. I had to revert my PC to the pre-NOD32 backup to get things back to normal again.

When using the "Automatically check feed for upates" option in Tools, Internet Options, Content, Feeds section of IE7 I get the DEP Exception in MSFEEDSYNC.EXE after about 1.5 hours. I have my auto checking set to 'every 30 minutes' and are subscribed to about 20 feeds.

This only happens with NOD32 installed. 'Other' AV software works fine. Love NOD32 though so would appreciate it if this get fixed soon.

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Is this with the 32-bit or 64-bit release of Microsoft Windows Vista? Also, which edition of Windows Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate and so forth) are you using?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. dvtonder

32 bit Vista, Ultimate Edition.

6. dvtonder

Has anyone been able to replicate this issue or is it just me? If yes, has this been fixed in any of the recent releases of NOD32?

I have been using other AV software since this problem hit but would prefer to be able to go back to NOD32.

7. dvtonder

Just tested it out again, 2.7.32 with a clean install of Vista Ultimate 32 bit. Problem still occurs.

8. dvtonder

Confirmed: IMON causes exception in MSFEEDSYNC.EXE in Vista

I have posted on this several times before but I have now confirmed that it is in fact caused by IMON.

To summarize: I am subscribed to 30+ RSS Feeds in IE7 with the content update set to Automatic, every 30 minutes.

With 'other' AV applications installed I experience no problems but every time I install NOD32 I start getting a Data Execution Prevention DEP exception in MSFEEDSYNC.EXE, the background feeds updating service. I get this on more than one PC and after complete re-format and re-installs of the OS.

Last night, after getting the DEP with 2.7.32, I went to the IMON setup and added MSFEEDSYNC.EXE as an excluded application. Everything seems to be fine now.

9. agoretsky

Hello,

Thank you for reporting the solution to the problem.

I did test with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition but was never able to reproduce this. I suspect you may have been using higher-velocity RSS feeds or perhaps it is specific to one (or more) of the feeds you were retrieving.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

10. dvtonder

If it will help, I can provide you with the list of RSS sites I monitor. It may be site or feed specific as you say.

Let mw know how I can help to resolve this.

DvT

11. agoretsky

Hello,

If you could provide the list (via private message if you prefer) that would be helpful.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12. neut

neut Registered Member

Vista 'Problem Reports and Solutions gives me this data for the problem:

Product
    Microsoft Feeds Synchronization

Problem
    Stopped working

Date
    10-4-2007 22:16

Status
    More information available

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: msfeedssync.exe
    Application Version: 7.0.6000.16386
    Application Timestamp: 4549b102
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_d6aa
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00000000
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1043
    Additional Information 1: d6aa
    Additional Information 2: 550813108d42c370043e28bb37aac5af
    Additional Information 3: d6aa
    Additional Information 4: 550813108d42c370043e28bb37aac5af

Their Solution:
    Problem caused by NOD32 Antivirus System

This problem was caused by NOD32 Antivirus System. This program was created by Eset. Eset does not currently have a solution for the problem that you reported.

Recommendation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For support information and product updates, Eset recommends that you go online to the following website:

Eset

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.