FDISR & ATI - 10 snapshots

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ErikAlbert, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I did another extreme test with FDISR & ATI, this time with 10 snapshots.
    Partition [C:] = 29,2 GB
    Number of snapshots = 10, which is the maximum of bootable snapshots in FDISR.
    I used the Acronis Rescue CD for restoration, which is exceptional for me.
    I used my external USB 2.0 harddisk.

Good news
    1. Can you entrust ONE snapshot to ATI ? NO, you can NOT, because only a fool would work with ONE snapshot in FDISR. :rolleyes:
    2. Can you entrust MORE THAN ONE snapshot to ATI ? YES, you can.
    3. Can you entrust TEN snapshots to ATI ? YES, you can.
    4. Did my computer show the FDISR Pre-boot Screen right after restoration ? YES, it did + F1-key.
    5. Did my computer booted in the supposed snapshot without using the F1-key ? YES, it did.
    6. Did I disable or enable the Pre-boot in FDISR before or after the restoration ? NO, I didn't, because it isn't necessary.
    7. Did I have any problems with the MBR ? No, I didn't.
    8. Did I restore the MBR with ATI ? Of course I did.

Bad news
    1. Can you trust the estimated restoration time of ATI ? NO, you can NOT.
    ATI estimated 120 minutes = 2 hours and the real time was 145 minutes = 2 hours 25 minutes.
    2. How long took the verification ? 73 minutes, too long for a verification, it takes normally 13 minutes without CD.
    3. How long took the restoration ? 72 minutes. a bit long, but bearable.

Conclusion
    Although you can entrust FDISR to ATI, it takes a long time to get that feeling.
    A newbie in my situation would live in 145 minutes of FEAR and DESPAIR, which is quite a mental torture.
    I hope my test will minimize the fear/despair and keep users in a healthy state of mind during the restoration. :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

nice testing. I wish if someone can do similar testing with IFW/ IFD/ BING.

3. ErikAlbert

We know already that the backup speed of ATI (under Windows) and IFW are the same.
    Unfortunately, I couldn't restore with IFD, because I didn't understand the first menu.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've not done it with 10 snapshots with IFD/IFW, but I've torture tested imaging and restoring 2 snapshots with IFD. I've gotten to the point restores with IFD are routine.

I've done some stuff that my better judgement might have suggested not doing. For example, I imaged to my external drive with Drive Snapshot. Started a restore with their recovery disk. AFter two hours and only 17% restored I'd had it. So I just replaced their cd with my IFD snapshot and rebooted. Restored my system with my IFD image. All was fine.

Aigle note, this is with 2 FDISR snapshots and also on a Raid 0 array.

Pete

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have not done it with 10 snapshots but 7 with IFD/IFW (32Gb partition) (does it really matter if you image with 10 snapshots or 3? )
    I have restored it with extreme ease and confidence several times. No fear ;)
    I have not clocked it to see how long it takes though, I just start the restore process and do something else while it restores the image. I guess it takes up to an hour.
    I do disable the preboot just in case if I have to restore it to a brand new drive since that wont have the FDSIR MBR already. But I guess that could be easily done with the backed up MBR also.

6. ErikAlbert

I love this struggle between
    - the Raxco/Acronis people
    - the Raxco/Terabyte people
    - the Leapfrog/Acronis people
    - the Leapfrog/Terabyte people
    - the RollbackRx/Acronis people
    - the RollbackRx/Terabyte people
    - the Raxco/Leapfrog people
    - the FDISR/RollbackRx people
    - the RollbackRx-clone people

The discussions about space, speed, defragging, backup, MBR, RAID, ...
    A neverending story. :D

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Quite interesting work.

8. ErikAlbert

The combination Acronis True Image + FirstDefense-ISR + PerfectDisk is a reliable combination, that works at least NORMALLY.
    I've done more than enough tests, to make sure of that.
    FDISR didn't force me to use PD, because I can use any defragger that allows me to exclude folders.
    FDISR didn't force me to use ATI, because I can use any other image backup software, like Terabyte.
    I won't give that up for just better space usage and speed.

I don't use software for its space and speed. I look at the functions and possibilities first and how I can use them.
    FDISR isn't an immediate system recovery only :
    - I use it as a second backup in case ATI fails.
    - I use it to make special work environments without any limit.
    - I use it to make test environments without any limit.
    - I can create millions of these snapshots, if I want to.
    FDISR has no primary or baseline snapshot, only independent snapshots without any technical relationship. Only the user creates relationships between snapshots.
    And I like to backup ALL these snapshots, because I want to keep them because of all the work.
    FDISR is nothing but a collection of functions and it's up to the user how to use them. In other words FDISR requires imagination.

9. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Not sure about #8. Erik, I beleive Acronis TI V9.0 B3677 , automatically saves your MBR now. Why Do U need to restore yor MBR in #8?

BTW, Thanks for your tremendous effort to show members here the comparison.Appreciate it.

10. ErikAlbert

I don't restore the MBR separately of course. The MBR is automatically included, if you use the right selection box in ATI.
    ATI offers the possibility to restore the partition only, the MBR only or both. It depends on what you are planning to do with your harddisks and partitions (flexibility !!!). :)

11. twhk000

twhk000 Registered Member

HI ALL

Your efforts to enlighten the people are greatly appreciated....keep up the excellent work..and lovely way of presenting the method of tests and tests results...

Erik your hardwork and patience is very good

Knight

12. ErikAlbert

Thanks. :cool: :)

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Erik, this is an old thread that I am FINALLY reading and all that I can say is ... THANK YOU for all the work and effort!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Acadia

14. ErikAlbert

Thanks. This was one of my extreme tests. I published a few other tests at Wilders, regarding ATI + FDISR, but I did alot of other (more boring) tests as well.
    One thing is certain : ATI + FDISR is a reliable solution. I'm the living proof it for almost one year.
    During all these months, I tried to break this combination in any possible way I could think of, but each backup/restoration was successfull, even for encrypted partitions.
    The good side of all these tests was, that I do all my restorations without fear nowadays. I restore for fun sometimes, while I'm watching a movie.

I also tested file-by-file restoration, which requires mounting of the image file and also that worked without any problems.

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Erik, what version of ATI are you using? Are you using FD with VSS or RSS? Thanks.

Acadia

16. ErikAlbert

At this moment, I use "Acronis True Image Home version 9.0 (build 3.677)"
    I should upgrade to version 10.0, but it's main improvement is compatibility with winVISTA and I have to pay $30 for that version and I'm not planning to use winVISTA in the next 5 years.

I don't use the latest version of FDISR yet, because I'm planning a complete re-installation of my computer from scratch.
    Not because I'm in trouble but I need better and clean backup images/archived snapshots to re-install my computer from scratch without doing it manually again.
    Especially the timing of taking these several clean images and archived snapshots is important.
    During that re-installation, I will install FDISR's latest version with compressed snapshots.
    I'm also interested in nLite and that delays the re-installation also, because nLite requires preparation.
    I have to prepare all this on paper, before I do it.

Recently I got interested in movies on DVD's and that's why I'm not in the mood to re-install my computer. Sometimes I like to have fun on my computer for a change. :)

17. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Erik, I've trusted FD-ISR to ATI for about a year now and through several re-installs. That combo has only let me down once. That was earlier this week when I previously installed Shadow Protect. After an ATI re-install, I wasn't able to use FD-ISR. But!!! SP was on the same ATI image I restored. So it's no fault of ATI.

FD-ISR & ATI are a double duty symbiotic combo.

...screamer :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.