Reboot After Clone Operation

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bobdat, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

Every revision of TI8 and TI9 User Guides that I have read over the past 1-1/2years has stated the necessity for disconnecting either the clone or the source drive after cloning is complete and before rebooting. The TI8 & TI9 programs have been revised at least twelve times since I originally bought mine.

Why, then, does TI9 v3677 absolutely prevent you from shutting down after completion of the cloning operation so you can do as directed and disconnect one of the drives?

Has anyone else noticed that after cloning you have no choice but to close TI and then the computer automatically reboots, preventing you from shutting down and disconnecting one of the drives? Am I doing something wrong?

o_O

2. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

I've noticed this too, but there is a work around.
    After Cloning, and the computer starts to boot up,...go into the BIOS and turn one of the HD's Off. Then boot into Windows.

3. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

seems that nothing works as stated, there ALWAYS has to be a work around.

i myself would like to buy a retail product that did what its supposed to right out of the box

4. dld

dld Registered Member

I've got a new drive on order which I want to install as slave. I want to clone my C: drive to the existing slave and store this clone for future use. From what you say TI will not let you shut down the computer normally before a reboot. I certainly don't want to reboot with both source drive and cloned drive connected. Once the cloning is finished what's wrong with doing the following:
    1. Pull the power cord on the computer.
    2. Disconnect and store the clone.
    3. Reboot

I've had a look at starsfan09's solution and frankly I don't like messing around with the BIOS. Actually I couldn't see where I could turn off the slave drive.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  5. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

After cloning is done, you get an Acronis screen which only lets you QUIT the program. When you quit, your machine automatically restarts.

You MAY be able to enter a setup menu by pressing F12 or BIOS by pressing F2 but that's not a solution at all. Anything you do to prevent restarting with both drives active requires a hard disconnect of something or a hard shutdown.

I don't think it's reassuring to do a hard shutdown while you're still running the program that cloned your drive.

My solution was to create a BartPE CD. After any Acronis operation the BartPE shell always allows you to either restart or shut down.

I don't understand why Acronis can't fix these annoyances instead of adding more features that never seem to work properly and bloating the program. It used to be about 20MB and now it's grown to 75MB and still doesn't do what I bought it for.

6. dld

dld Registered Member

It doesn't take long to pull a power cord. Once Acronis is terminated, then the computer has to shut down. What if one pulls the plug when shut-down is finished. Surely that can't harm anything?

BTW, I agree with you completely that Acronis should do something about this. Are we expected to put this in the Wish List?

7. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

after the clone you need to restart and enter the bios and set the new hd as the boot from drive and make sure that boot from other device is no,F10 and save and exit, to windows and make sure everything is ok and format the old drive, or shutdown and remove it as it is not safe to have 2 exact OSs loaded to a single boot setup.

8. dld

dld Registered Member

It's not a question of which drive is set as boot drive in the BIOS. It's a question of drive-letter assignment. Read this Dan Goodell article. On booting you don't want Windows to see two C: drives.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bobdat,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

I've forwarded this issue to our Quality Assurance Team and will inform you about the results of their investigation as soon as I'll receive a reply.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bobdat,

I've just received a reply from our Quality Assurance Team and the results of their investigation are as follows:

When disk cloning is done from within Windows there are message indicating that it is recommended that one should unplug one of the hard drives prior to booting into Windows for the first time and an option allowing one to turn off the computer.

When disk cloning is done by means of Bootable Rescue Media there are no such message and option.

The latter case is considered a problem and will be fixed in the next version of Acronis True Image. We are very sorry if this issue causes you any inconveniences.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.