ZA and KAV?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by dallen, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Are Zone Alarm Security Suite and KAV compatible? The reason that I ask is during the installation of the latest version (non-beta) of KAV lists Zone Alarm as incompatible and I have to uninstall Zone Alarm, install KAV, and re-install Zone Alarm in order to test them.

*The reason I use ZASS is due to the fact that it has IM Security features. Of course, I disable the Anti-virus portion of the suite.

2. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

The official stance of ZL (and most other AV companies) is that you shouldn't have two AVs installed. ZASS has an AV and that is why KAV detects a possible conflict.

But of course some people have managed to install the two of them together.

3. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I've always used Zone Alarms Security Suite due to the fact that I contains IM Security. Since I always disable the AV during installation, I never really considered the possibility of violating the multiple AV taboo. Am I not thinking about this the right way?

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi dallen,

This was asked some time ago (not on forum) by some of the users I support, I did do some testing (running some combinations with ZA AV disabled), and first ran ZA+KAV5 for 6 weeks with no visible signs of problems, I then did the same for ZA+NOD2.5 for 5 weeks, still with no signs of conflict.

The users I mention have since made these installations, and all appear to be running O.K.

With KAV6, there is a need to install KAV6 first, then install ZA ss. (or a workaround was to disable ZA auto start, re-boot, and shut down ZA before install of Kav6, this worked on the versions of Kav6 I tested)

NOTE: If you start the ZA AV while other AV`s are installed, then problems arrise, the main one to affect you would be that ZA ss IM protection shuts down (with popup to inform of conflicts), and re-installation is needed.

5. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Thank you for this infomation.

6. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi Dallen!

How's it going:)

Can you let me know how this works out for you?

I wanted to do the same thing but wasn't sure how it would work out.

Thanks

Rilla927

7. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Hi Rila927. It's going pretty well here. Just enjoying the summer break. Drinking a few beers and playing a lot of golf. I hope things with you are well.

Actually, I did not use Stem's method of installation because I didn't know about it. I simply uninstalled ZASS, installed KAV, and re-installsed ZASS. So far, I have not encountered any issues.

Currently I am running NOD32/ZASS, KAV/ZASS, and BitDefender/ZASS all on separate snapshots (using First Defense-ISR). This allows me to spend some time under each configuration. I'm doing this all on my laptop (secondary system) and since I have a large external HD I can simply pull any data I want to save from any snapshop at any time. In the end, when I decide which setup I like, I will simply use Image for Windows to take me back to a pre-test state, bring my system up-to-date, set up the configuration that I've chosen, and off I go. Gotta love these tools!!!

Better get back to the topic at hand before Bubba jerks a knot in my tail. ZASS/KAV are working just fine. Just make sure that you tell ZASS not to protect you from Viruses during setup. It is a shame that ZASS is the only option that Zone Labs gives which contains what I consider to be the essential protections. Sure I could use Pro and their IM Security as separately and accomplish my goal, but it would cost me $10 more.

Despite my initial desire to have an all-in-one security suite, I learned that better, lighter security can be accomplished using individual components. In the end, I think we'll see suites taking over for compatibility and synergistic reasons and, let's face it, what kind of dork wants to spend hours researching these things...wait, did I just call myself a dork...Bubba, does the namecalling rule apply to one's self?

8. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

If you don't need message encryption, ZL still offers the free version of IMSecure (if your eyes are sharp enough to look for the links). But many people preffered getting IMSecure Pro because the encryption is a very attractive feature and they end up just getting IMSecure Pro. That is why ZL is not really advertising IMSecure (Free) like its brother, ZA (free).

IMSecure (Free):
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conte..._ims.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=nav_fim

9. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Good, sounds like you are enjoying yourself. I'm fine, thanks.

Dallen that sounds like a great set-up you have. FD makes life glorious! I'm gonna wait until after the first of the year and purchase FD. Right now, I'm in the middle of learning some other apps that I need to get out of the way. I have a bad habit of trying to take on too many and I want to be able to devote my time soley to FD in order to understand it.

Ya, me too!:D:D:D
    Got it!
    I agree a 100%.
    Yes, you could but why should you.

I agree. I agree. You are a trip Dallen;)

I'm going to have to do a custom install with KISS rather (AV only).

I love the ZASS (except AV of course) ever since I first tried it. It has a lot of good features. I depend on the IM encryption for privacy. It's quite amazing that so many people don't really think of protecting their privacy on the net.

I will let you know what happens with the install of ZA and Kasperky!

Okay Dallen, good talking to you. Take care.:)

Rilla927

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

iirc, the encryption require both parties to have imsecure. thus it would seem imsecure (free) + ZAP to be the better combo. theres no AV, so its easier to install with KAV.

11. dallen

dallen Registered Member

[The following comments are to be interpreted in a polite way and not as criticism of any kind]
    WSFuser,
    It is with great deference to the wisdom that only comes with more than 5,000 posts that I merely point out that what is one’s “better combo” is not another’s. If a person want’s a more secure IM environment and knows that others they chat with also use Zone Alarm Security Suite, then the added feature of encrypted IM might be just what they’re looking for; therefore, make ZASS a better option.

Respectfully,
    dallen

12. WSFuser

to each their own and i respect people's choices. i was simply saying that combo would be the best way to have KAV + ZA.

i personally dont investigate the softwares in use by the people with whom i chat, so any form of encryption is a mute point.

13. dallen

dallen Registered Member

WSFuser,
    You certainly know more about KAV than I and I definately respect you and your opinions. You also raise a good point in that most people probably do not know the software scheme of any of their chat partners.

Again please don't think that I was trying to criticize your comments. That most definately was not my intent.

14. WSFuser

no problem Dallen. i do see your viewpoint clearly.

15. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

Hello
    Yes ZA and KAV are compatible. I was beta testing testing KAV 6 and
    KIS 6 for a long time. But... I since uninstalled KAV... why? It slows the internet connection alot and uses alot of computer resources.
    Even the release is like this.
    I have since installed Prevx 1 and have Process Guard and Jetico Firewall.
    I will never go back to KAV or KIS!!!!
    I would keep ZASS and uninstall KAV. Don't run two AV's on your computer,
    it is not good.
    Try disabling KAV and see how fast your webpages load.
    There's a very big difference.

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.