True Image Won't Work With DVD+RW

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sdculp, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdculp

sdculp Registered Member

My True Image Home seems to be OK with CD-RW, but it won't work with DVD+RW. I keep getting the error message "The media you have inserted is not empty. Either click Erase media to delete all data stored on it and continue operation or insert another media and then click Retry, or click cancel to quit the operation." The media is empty and has been used successfully with other write software.

According to the manual it should work OK with DVD. An interesting "feature" in the software is that it refers to "CD" in the menu for writing and not whatever is inserted in the writer--either CD or DVD.

Suggestions, please.

Stu Culp

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Stu,

Firstly, ignore the fact that TI reports the DVD as a CD - this is normal behaviour. However, before we take this any further, please advise which build of True Image 9.0 Home you are using (click on Help > About).

Regards

3. Menorcaman

Hi again Stu,

O.K., I've just come across your post in another thread and see that you are using Build 3677, which has the capability to image direct to DVD. So, a few more questions:

- What normal CD/DVD burning software do you use
    - What UDF packet writing (drag and drop recording) do you use
    - Which of the above two types of software did you last use with the DVD+RW disk in question
    - Which of the above two types of software did you use to "blank" the DVD+RW disk in question

Regards

4. sdculp

sdculp Registered Member

Thank you for the response.

I use Nero 7 as my disk burning software. Nero Express ver 7.0.5.4.

The packet writing software with Nero is InCD, but I don’t use it. It’s active—on the taskbar, although it can be disabled in Msconfig. It is my understanding that the latest versions of True Image don’t require third party packet writing software?? That is the feature that prompted me to consider TI again—not having to use third party software.

Just a few minutes ago I erased the Verbatim DVD+RW disk in question with Nero Express, wrote a few files on it and then viewed them. It seemed to work fine. I didn’t use the InCD feature. I used “quick erase”, although using the “full erase” feature doesn’t seem to make any difference.

I used the “Erase rewritable disc…” feature in Nero Burning ROM to erase the disk.

Stu Culp

5. Menorcaman

Thanks for the additional info.

I use Nero 6 Reloaded. TI 9.0 Home Build 3633 had problems with Nero erased DVD rewritable media (see this <previous thread>) amongst other things, which I found was fixed in Build 3666. I posted the results for Build 3666 in the thread titled <TI 9.0 Build 3666 Direct to DVD Imaging - Still Some Problems >.

Your understanding is correct - the latest builds do not require the use of third-party UDF packet writing software and preformatted DVDs. However, check your InCD options and ensure that "On blank disc insertion" is set to "Do nothing" otherwise InCD will interfere with TI's direct imaging function. Obviously, if the disk has been formatted using InCD then it will need to be "InCD Erased" prior to using it with Nero or TI 9.0 Home Build 3677.

In which case, provided you used Nero to re-erase the disk again, the DVD should have been good to go for use with TI. The difference between Nero's "Quick erase" and its "Full erase" is that "Quick" merely clears out the file table (thereby leaving potentially sensitive/confidential data on the disc) rather than erasing the whole disk surface (which takes much more time). TI doesn't care which method you use.

Regards

6. sdculp

sdculp Registered Member

I checked the "Do Nothing" window. No change.

I did a full InCD erase and then disabled InCd in Msconfig. No change. I still get the Full disk error message.

I don't know what else to try.

More suggestions, please.

Stu Culp

7. sdculp

sdculp Registered Member

By the way, here are a couple of things to mention:

I have not done anything with the "Secure Zone" feature. All I want to do is to backup to DVD. I have used one primary partition and one extended partition on my main drive. It is SATA. I have 30 plus gigs of unallocated space available. I assume that TI needs unallocated space and a partition on the main drive.

Stu Culp

8. TheGeek

TheGeek Registered Member

Is your DVD drive a SATA drive?

9. sdculp

sdculp Registered Member

The DVD drive is IDE

Stu Culp

10. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

I've made a couple of DVD's, and chose for Acronis to burn it directly. I had problems getting it to read the disc. But however, I took that very same disc and copied it to another DVD using Sonic, and it worked just fine.
    I think the real problem with Acronis software burning the DVD directly....is that it's burning to fast. They could try to implement a slower burn option, and it will probably solve this problem.

11. sdculp

sdculp Registered Member

<snip>

When True Image was first demonstrated to me at a user’s group, I was very impressed and could hardly wait to try it out. The first problem I ran into was that it needed an unused partition. The second was that it required third party packet writing software, and the third was that it couldn’t write to DVD. Nero is continually changing it’s software and I didn’t like InCD anyway. And it just isn’t practical to backup to CD’s. So I put TI on the shelf.

In my new system I have unused partition space and I read that TI no longer uses third party software. Also, writing to DVD was now possible. So I got it out again and updated to version 3677.

Now I am having problems writing to DVD/RW, although writing to CD/RW seems ok. From reading the various forum threads and responses it seems to me that TI has a lot of issues. I am beginning to feel like a beta tester. My requirement is ZERO issues in my backup software.

Maybe I am doing something wrong. Maybe things will work out. But right now it looks like TI is going to go back on the shelf.

Stu Culp

edited to remove off-topic comment - Detox

12. sabuck1

sabuck1 Registered Member

I am experiencing the same problem. I have a Sony DVD\CD-RW drive and cannot copy backups to this drive with a DVD-RW as the media. What am I doing wrong? I have downloaded the latest version of TI Workstation 9.1.
    Thank you.

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Stu and sabuck1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

First of all, please note that, as Menorcaman has already mentioned above, build 3633 (the first build with direct DVD-writing support) had a problem with writing backups to Nero erased DVD+RW disks. However, this problem has already been investigated and fixed. That's why the issue you experiencing is not typical and requires a deeper investigation.

Could you please submit a request for technical support containing the following information?

- What operating system do you use?

- The exact vendor and model of your DVD burner;

- The brand of DVD media that you use;

- The exact version and build number of Nero DVD-writing software that you use to erase DVDs;

- If possible, make a screen shot of the error message that appears when you try to write backup to DVD;

- When does this error message appear exactly?

- What happens when you click on the 'Erase' button? Does the backup creation process start in this case?

- Try to create a backup saving it to the same DVD when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD made with the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and inform us about the result;

- Did you try using another type\brand of DVD media? What was the result?

We'll investigate the problem and try to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

14. sdculp

sdculp Registered Member

I am attaching the Nero InfoTool text file and will send it to tech support, also.

Stu Culp

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.