Dissapointed

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by niteghost, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

I had such high expectation of Firstdefense-ISR which was recommended to me by a friend..
    I did a snapshot and recovered imy system with that Snapshot without any problem. Then I proceeded to installed a couple of other Proggies to play around, and it happened that things did not work out. So, I proceeded again to Recover from the Same Snapshot as before, it WOULD NOT let me.
    Tried to Boot to Snapshot inside Windows and use the Recovery at Dos too using the Hotkey to NO avail.Very dissapointed with FirstDefense-ISR.

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm sorry you're disappointed with the product. I just wonder why you couldn't boot into that secondary snapshot.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Nteghost

Tell us more, about your system, what you did and exactly what you saw. Also where did you get the version of FDISR you are using.

Pete

4. niteghost

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

With which proggies did you play around and where did you download them and did you test them in a separate snapshot or all together in one snapshot o_O

6. niteghost

If FirstDefense-ISR really "works" that well, it DOES NOT matter what proggies I play with. The whole point is tat I can Restore my system at any given point and as many times as i want to wth that snapshot.
    There should be NO EXCEPTION. in my book. [ NOT JUST ONCE]

7. ErikAlbert

If you think that FD-ISR is perfect or has to be perfect, forget it. Such software does not exist, except in your dreams.

Member "Acadia" already mentioned this, that FD-ISR conflicts with certain softwares and I took that warning serious.
    That's why I backup my system with Acronis True Image before I start fooling around with other softwares, because I don't trust FD-ISR either, in spite of all the glamor around this software.
    If something goes wrong with FD-ISR itself, like in your situation, I still have my backup to restore my system.

I would like to know what went wrong in your case and that's why I need to know which softwares you tried, but you are obvious not interested in finding out what went wrong.
    I'm certainly not impressed by your answer and this is a typical reply from somebody who lost control and didn't know what happened and doesn't even remember what he did.
    Next time when you play with new softwares, do it seriously and remember the softwares that caused troubles, because we users like also to know which softwares conflict with FD-ISR and test them on our system.

Good luck with finding your "perfect" immediate system software and certainly don't try RollbackRx, because that could be a bigger disappointment for you. :)

8. niteghost

If U are goiing to answer with that "Condensending" attitude plz "F** K OFF " the next time, I do not need U to answer my Post,

9. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

How do do you mean?
    Does it go past the windows logo? or does it stop right after the FDISR logo where you have the option to choose wich snapshot you want to load?

10. niteghost

What I mean is after I have chosen one Snapshot to recover and after I made changes to my System[ like installing a new Proggie] in the event if the new proggie does NOT work out, I can go back and Boot to that Snapshot again.
    But when i do so, in DOS ,before the windows welcome screen, I choose the same snapshot, and hit Enter it booted straight back where I left off.
    Usually FirstDefense-ISR ask U whether Yes or NO after U chose the Snapshot to recover from DOS. In his case, after the Snapshot has been used once, FIRSTDEFENSE-ISR wil not function for me. Hope I made that clear for U, thanks for responding.

11. ErikAlbert

Another unsolved case. If we go on like this, we will never find any possible bugs in FDISR.

12. Peter2150

Hi Niteghost

WHile Erik's remarks may have been a bit harsh, he has a point. The expectation that it will work with "everything" isn't realistic. For example if you should install another program that modifies the MBR you very well may find FDISR won't work. It absolutely needs the MBR for control. If I at all suspect a program may mess with the MBR, I talk to the authors before I install it. But anyway. I am curious whose version of FDISR you have. Is it Raxco's?

Pete

13. ErikAlbert

Peter,
    As you can see in this thread, I start asking for the installed proggies, so I could test them myself. A simple question.
    Instead of that I get an answer that FD-ISR has to be invincible.
    No software is that, you know it, Acadia knows it, I know it and many other experienced users know it.
    I can't test or try anything without detailed data.
    What's the point of talking about a problem, if you don't describe the problem properly.
    We don't even know which version he is using, you even have to ask for it.

14. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

That is actually not clear to me, when I read this thread. Where did you mention that you wanted to do that?
    I need to sign up for some mind reading training, in order to keep up with this forum. :thumbd:

15. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Hi, niteghost. I can sympathize with your position but, as has already been pointed out, FD-ISR is NOT invincible and I don't think anyone here has made that claim. However, outside of it's specific limitations, the most commonly encountered one being it's need to control the MBR, as Peter pointed out, FD-ISR is quite ROBUST and reliable software.

So, given that, I think you would understand why we would like to know what software you're testing because I'm sure many of us would like to know if there are types of prgrams BESIDES those that need MBR control that will conflict with FD-ISR.

I understand your disappointment but, until I find out otherwise, I have to suspect you were just unlucky enough to try one of the few softwares that FD-ISR can't recover from on your first time out. Hopefully, this type of software is an exception for you and you can still find FD-ISR useful in the future for the vast majority of your computing scenarios.

No, I'm not a salesman for Raxfco or Leapfrog, just an interested user who would hate to see this thread fall by the wayside for the wrong reason.

16. ErikAlbert

For what other reason would I ask for these proggies ? Is that so important ?
    The question isn't answered and nobody knows what happened here.
    I use FDISR myself and I like to know as much as possible about FDISR, good things and above all bad things. :)

17. dallen

dallen Registered Member

It seems that it would be helpful to know as much about what triggered the undesireable result as possible so that the plethora of knowledge that is available in this forum can uncover the cause of the issue. Being condescending does not help, but neither does being reluctant to disclose relevant information that is pertinent to the issue.

Why do you take issue with telling us which programs are involved?

I have a completely unrelated question:
    Why does every one say "proggies" when "programs" is the same length and just as easy to type?

18. ErikAlbert

English isn't my first language, I prefer to use "programs" instead of "proggies", but I heard it before. In Dutch, I "feel" words, but not in English. Programs or proggies, it's all the same for me and I'm already glad, I could spell it right. :)

19. Peter2150

Quick Timeout Guys.

Erik. I know you mean well but sometime the language issue makes what you write come accross a bit on the harsh side

NiteGhost. Don't know where you are, and I know what you are experiencing is frustrating, but understand some of the folks don't have English as a first language.

Lets try and remember we are here to help each other, and the more info you provide the better chance there is.

Now what was the original problem:D

20. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

wut gr8 proggy lol..j/k....... first defence never fails me always save's my butt..... especially if a first hits only thing i do like to do is re-enstall my AV ..... Tru image was awfull product.......

21. ErikAlbert

I hope you still do an image backup, because FD-ISR won't save your butt all the time and I'm speaking of personal experience. :)

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I had FDISR totally fail which cost me a full format and os reinstall. But I wouldn't be without FDISR because it is a real work saver almost all of the time,I would guess about 99% of the time. But I do use an imaging program now also just in case. ;)

23. Peter2150

Hi Bigc

Do you know what happened and why the failure?

Pete

24. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

FDISR would not initialize at boot and when I tried to reboot it had lost the MBR. Since the reformat and os restore FDISR has worked flawlessly. But since it did it once I do also use an imaging tool now. ;)

25. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Yep, I've had a couple of snafus with FD-ISR -- it's by no means invincible, so I also multi-layer the protection. Namely with IFD/IFW, ATI, and Retrospect (this is across 6 machines, not just one). The other programs have failed me too, some more so than FD-ISR. It's often hard to tell, though, if the failure was more my fault, the program's fault, or both were equally to blame. I just try to learn to "not do that any more" and move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.