Stubborn file finally gets Deleted

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by StevieO, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Just thought i'd share this with you, as it might prove helpful at some point.

I downloaded an installed something yesterday, which all went fine, and still is. The only problem was the install .exe file which could not be deleted from the desktop. Not only that, but right clicking on it gave me a file in use etc error ? I tried several attempts with various different file in use deleter Apps to try and delete it, which didn't work, even after a reboot. I then remembered one of RejZor's many fine free Apps, Advanced File Remover and used that, which worked like a dream first time !

It doesn't always require a system reboot, but on this occasion it did, which completely removed the file.

One to have in your collection, just in case.

Thanks RejZor

http://www.excessive-software.eu.tt/

StevieO

2. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    Couldn't you remove it in safe mode?

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Unless one has knowledge specific to the instance, one should not delete files manually or use magic programs that brute force delete files.

Instead, learn to find the problem.

A goopd way is to download ProcessExplorer from http://www.sysinternals.com/.
    Use PE to find what is using the file bu seeing which program has a handle assigned for the file.

Then, you can uninstall that program or clean up registry entries.

4. StevieO

Lamehand

I tried to remove it in safe mode, but couldn't ?

Howard Kaikow

Yes thanks i do have ProcessExplorer and a whole stack of other very useful tools and utilities at my disposal, and know how to use them etc.

I wasn't uninstalling the program, as i mentioned, it was the single .exe install file sitting on my desktop that was used to install the actual program, that refused to be deleted !

As a general point though, i agree trying to find out the cause of something is always best, but sometimes there are unknown etc problems/errors that crop up. That's when apps like Advanced File Remover come into their own, and for me was the only thing that worked. That's why he and others make these programs in the first place.

StevieO

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Some more good apps for deleting if you want to look into them steveio are Pocket Killbox and The Avenger. They can practically delete anything, but as a warning, they are like nuclear bombs in that they can delete a file, but also trash your system even with one very very small error on your part.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Thats good advice, except when it doesn't work. I had a KAV install go bad, and I repaired it but I needed to get rid of one DLL, that was locked by Winlogon.exe. No uninstalling that baby. Nothing even in safe mode worked, so I found a utility that forced the unlock and I deleted it. Windows took it about like a mother having a baby ripped from her arms, and I got a nasty BSOD. But on reboot, all was well and the problem was solved.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Once again, if you encounter a problem like this, and if you want to avoid BSOD, you can boot from a bootable CD like BartPE and delete the file safely, then reboot back normally.
    Mrk

8. Howard Kaikow

In cases such as yours, and in most other cases, the cause is either a process that did not terminate or a handle that was not closed.

9. Howard Kaikow

Sometimes one has to dig deeper to find the cause.
    Indeed, i ffixed by a reboot, that proves the cause is either aprocess that did not terminate or a handle that was not closed, or both.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wonder why a simple installer would stuck so. Can u name this software if possible?

11. Howard Kaikow

Sloppy installers may leave handles and files hanging around.
    It's easy to forget to close a handle or a created object.

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Mrk

Absolutely right. I checked the few bootables I had, and they didn't let me do it. What I did was quicker, althought it was just a tad touchy. For sure I probably wouldn't have done it without FDISR.

Thanks,

Pete

13. tgell

tgell Registered Member

14. StevieO

Killbox was one of the apps that i tried first, which didn't work ? The way AFR appears to do things, seems to be a little different to other similar apps. It can shutdown Explorer etc and try to delete in that mode first, and then if required try a delete on reboot as well. This is the option i chose which completely cleaned away that stubborn file, and left me with no problems or after effects.

Bart might be good solution too for some, but i didn't have it, and the deleters were only a few clicks away.

The app i was installing wasn't anything to do with security, it was a technical/electronic one. I won't name it as you probably won't have heard of it, and i don't believe that it was to blame. I have installed it several times before on different PC's without any problems, so naming it would i think be unfair.

Unlocker is also very good, but is only for XP etc.

StevieO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.