DR web

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have just read about dr web and it seems to be lighter than nod32 and updates very fast

but i cant find any reviews of the lastest version 4.3 can anyone post there comments on dr web and give me links to reviews?

thanks in advance
    lodore

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Well whether or not Dr Web is lighter than NOD32 is a matter of opinion. You'll hear both responses. I'm not sure how good a conventional review will do in terms of helping you make the decision between the two. I can tell you that I have used both (along with many others) and chose the doc because:

1. Dr Web is straightforward; in terms of settings, its GUI, on-access scanner (SpiderGuard), etc. It is very easy to use and for the most part very user friendly. NOD32 cannot say that. There are threads here dedicated to configuring it. It is not at all user friendly. There is a certain arrogance in their module names.

2. Light on resources. You won't even know it's there, both in terms of RAM useage and on-access memory useage (and scanning time).

3. They are rapidly improving and adding signatures.

4. Version 5, about which we are given information, is said to be released by the end of the year. NODs new version....well no one knows what to expect. The version of NOD you buy will not be the one that you'll eventually use.

5. With their migration program, Dr Web is insanely cheap; $33 USD/2 years.

NOD32 does has better detection rates (see here). But Dr Web is not too bad either. You can't go wrong no matter which way you choose. But my vote is for Dr Web.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Thx for the info. I have used NOD32 for years and it has been good to me. But being the nerd I am I am looking for something new to try, just for the sake of it :). I have just evaluated Bitdefender for a couple of days, and it did actually find a threat, but I think it is a false positive. It found a file named "instsrv.exe" but I´ve read that this is a windows file needed to start services on XP. And it did not work well with Firstdefence.
    Anyway, bitdefender did slow down program starts compared to NOD32. I will try DR web and see what it can do for me :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

can you tell me what you think of dr web after you have tryed it for a few days?

today i tryed the lastest trial of nod32 and seems better than the one i tryed the other day. also today i installed dr web but because the pc i tryed it on was not on the internet i couldnt get a trial license so it wouldnt work. i really want to try dr web on my old pc without internet connection is there a way of getting one with out having to connect to there server on that pc?

i have looked on there site but it says the form is only for the server products.

so i just need a 30 day trial code can some one help me get one?

5. sukarof

I will report back some sort of comparison later.
    I do belive that DRweb makes an unique trial key for the computer, atleast that is how I understand it. So I guess the key file is not transferable between computers.

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

In my personal experience, Dr.Web is "lighter" in the sense that it uses less memory than NOD32, however PC performance was about the same with either NOD32 or Dr.Web

Dr.Web 4.33 is decent enough, GUI looks old but works efficiently. The program is good at what it does. However, if you want a better-looking (though costlier) Dr.Web, you may go for Virus Chaser.

However, I do recommend that you purchase Dr.Web instead and wait for version 5.0, if you decide that you do not want NOD32 ;)

7. sukarof

I have now had Drweb for a couple of days. It does not slow down anything. The memory footprint seems to be equal to NOD32 (~25-27Mb). The full scan takes a bit longer than NOD32, but I can live with that. It updates (definitions) often enough. It didnt interfere with FDISR like Bitdefender (Big advantage :) )
    This far I like it. It doesnt cost as much as NOD and I like that they have a discount for migrating from other AV´s.

I will try this AV for the full 20 days evaluating period, and if it behaves like it has done this far I will buy it.

8. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I missed this thread. I've used DrWeb around 10 years-ish, (well since the beginning) and agree with what others here have said so I will not go over it again.
    But what I can add as this is tiltled DrWeb is that they also offer a 'Scan link with Drweb' plug-in and 'CureIt' an av scanner for anyone to download and use. You can also scan a file at the site.

9. sukarof

I have now tried Dr.web for 16 days. It doesnt make more impact on the system than NOD32. No delay in program starts. It updates the virus def´s very often, many times every day. As said before the full scan takes longer than NOD32. It plays very well with everything I got (And I have some programs that easily can give problems with some AV´s :) )
    I cant say how it is in virus detection compared to NOD32, coz I never seem to get any malware to test the strenght on :( but there are tests out there that says it is not that far behind NOD32.

I decided to buy it. I fibbled the migrate option though. It is a bit confusing procedure. First email them the previous AV´s info and then wait for a discount ticket that you use when you buy it (there were no info on the procedure, that was easily noticable anyway) . I waited for almost two days without getting the ticket and got impatient and bought it anyway. Then within a couple of hours I got the discount ticket, but then it was useless coz i´ve already bought it :/
    Well, it doesnt bother me that much coz the renewal will be cheaper than NOD32. And it was my fault anyway, I shouldn´t have been so impatient :)

One thing bothers me a little bit though. It´s not a big thing really when I think about it since I can put the schedule time on times when i dont use the computer.
    But anyway: When I do a scheduled full scan I cant find out how to exclude Firstdefence hidden folders. I tried to write C:\$ISR in the exclusion list but Dr.web scans it anyway. It doesnt show the folders beginning with $ in front of the folder name when I look in the "browse" option in the exclusion window, I have to write the folder name manually but that doesnt prevent the scanning of C:\$ISR as said above.
    I understand that it is basicly a good thing that an AV scans hidden folders by default but I would like to exclude it because C:\$ISR contains over 17Gb and prolongs the scanning time unnessesary.

In NOD32 it also didnt help to exclude the FDISR folders in the excludes list, but you could prevent NOD32 scheduled scans from scanning FDISR folders by pin pointing exactly what drives and folders to scan. In the scheduler in Dr.web I cant seem to have that option, or am I wrong? It is a good thing that a AV finds hidden folders and scans them, but I would like to have som control over it, there are "good" hidden folders too :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  10. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Unfortunately, both NOD and Dr Web are two of the few AV's which scan all of your snapshots.

As you have found, NOD's scanner cannot directly exclude folders/files but Dr Web's, IME, has an excluder that generally works.

Have you tried excluding the individual folders of FD?

Attached Files:

11. sukarof

Nope it didnt help excluding the folders individually either.
    Ah, well thanks for your input, I guess I´ll have to live with it or do manual scans when I go to bed once a week instead :) No biggie..

12. terminator00

terminator00 Registered Member

I prefer Dr. Web 2 all other anti virus!The best 1!!:D

13. pykko

pykko Registered Member

you could have at least change this green color that made my eyes tear. :eek: :D :blink:

14. terminator00

terminator00 Registered Member

OK, sorry!I just adore this colour:shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.