Recovery, safe vs full problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Nexx9, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nexx9

Nexx9 Registered Member

My problem is as follows:

After installing (XP) 9 Build 3633 Home over 8 (which was installed over 7 then 6 over time), upon booting, the recovery (hit F11) brings me to a screen where two options reside:

Continue to boot win, or full version of True Image Recovery.

Selecting TI Full starts a black screen with the message that TI is loading but it doesn't - after a few seconds the boot process starts over again, prompting me to hit F11.

I did all sorts of things like uninstalling and reinstalling, Uninstalling and installing version 8 again, getting rid of the security zone, recreating it after reboot, creating a new image on it, taking off and recreating the recovery bootup option. Nothing worked, and bootup behavior remained the same throughout.

That's on normal HD bootup.

But using the recovery disc, I get *two* TI options: safe and full. Full doesn't work, as before, but safe does load from the disc (I haven't restored anything yet).

So I need to do one of two things at the very least:

- either get TI Full to load from HD from the F11 boot menu
    - or get TI Safe to show-up on the F11 HD menu (assuming it'll load as it does from the recovery dvd)

Either will do, and both would be great.

I suspect this is a simple switch I'm missing, or an install procedure I need to go through again. Thanks for any replies. Nex

(Of course TI 9 runs fine once the os - XP - has loaded, both in safe and normal)

2. Nexx9

Nexx9 Registered Member

I have two dirs in my acronis dir (other than discdirector):

TrueImage and TrueImageHome. TrueImage is empty.

Could this be confusing the boot recovery process? In the TrueImageHome dir, the recovery files seem to be in the BartPE/files dir.

Would renaming or moving any of these dirs help? Sure, I'm going to do it but would appreciate feedback first from anyone in the know. Do Acronis employees read these forums?

As mentioned before, I'm running xp. Nex

3. Nexx9

Nexx9 Registered Member

Okay, let's make this simple as no responses have been posted:

On the F11 recovery menu, TI Home Full does not load.

On the dvd-booted recovery menu there is one Extra option: TI SAFE. That Does load.

(On the dvd-booted menu, TI FULL also doesn't load)

Where is the recovery system looking for Full? Is that a way to fix the problem, by moving files?

Or a kludge:

How can I get 'TI SAFE' to show-up in the F11 menu?

Thank you. Nex

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

TI Full and Safe modes have nothing at all to do with Windows XP Normal and Safe modes.

TI Full means you are running the Linux-based recovery environment with all the USB and whatever drivers. TI safe means you are running in DOS with BIOS routines to control the hardware. Normally, this means that you don't have access to USB devices but on some newer motherboards it does work fine.

When full doesn't load it means that there is something in the Linux environment that is not correct for your system. I did fix this problem on a system by updating the BIOS (it was about 12 revisions old!). If you read the "Read before you post" sticky at the top of the forum, you will see a reference to entering something like "no APIC etc) which may help. I don't know if you can enter that if you are using F11 though.

As you have found out it doesn't work on the boot CD either because it is trying to run the same Linux environment. However, you can try the above possible fix in this environment.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Nexx9,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that, as seekforever has already mentioned above, both 'Full' version of Bootable Rescue CD and 'Full' version of Acronis Startup Recovery Manager also known as "F11 feature" load the same Linux based Acronis Rescue Environment.

Please also note that there is no way to add the 'Safe' option to Acronis Startup Recovery Manager menu.

To resolve the problem with 'Full' version of Bootable Rescue CD and Acronis Startup Recovery Manager not starting on your computer please do as seekforever has suggested and try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter does not help then please do the following:

- Boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and press 'F11' key when the selection screen advising you to choose either 'Full', 'Safe' or 'Boot into Windows' option appears;

or

- Launch Acronis Startup Recovery Manager by pressing 'F11' key at the appropriate moment on computer startup. Press 'F11' key once more when the selection screen advising you to select either 'Full' or 'Boot into Windows' option appears;

- After you get the 'Linux Kernel Settings' prompt, please remove the 'quiet' word, click on the OK button and choose the 'Full' option;

- As the startup messages stop scrolling please write down the last few lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make a shots of the output screens.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

As for the empty 'Acronis True Image' folder in your 'Program Files', it most likely left after version 8.0 uninstallation and therefore can be safely deleted.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.