GTDownDE_87.ocx

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Carol30, May 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carol30

Carol30 Registered Member

I just completed a quick scan. In addition to a few cookies, which pop up, every now and then, Ewido picked up "GTDownDE_87.ocx" in the System32 folder. I'm not overly concerned about it, since it's "supposed to be" adware, but I am curious. From a quick Google search, I found a couple of posts at CC. One related it to a Java update, while the other says, "If I remember correctly I found the file on a dll archive site... we had some of the registry entries associated with the file associated with some of Dell's support software... ". Dell is the manufacturer of my machine, but I doubt this is related in any way, since I've never seen it before.

Coincidently, I updated Java this morning. I had also been to a dll site, while trying to find some information for someone. I was also snooping around Dell's HJT forum, which should have nothing to do with anything! As stated, I am not too concerned, but I am a little curious, as to how it got in the System32 folder and where it came from.

Does this sound familar to anyone??
    TIA..
    Carol

(FWIW..Nothing else I have, has picked this up.)

2. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

do a google-search for "GTDownDE_87.ocx"..

3. DarkCypher0x0

DarkCypher0x0 Registered Member

I got the same thing juyst now when I scanned...I got led to a few things...nothing concrete though...One said it was fromKaspersky online scan, I actually did a scan through that recently, I don't do much of anything on the web and when I do I use firefox when I browse.

It wasn't there before so I'm not sure.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Take a look at this previous post on GTDownDE_87.ocx.

I have had Dr Web regularly flag this file and they consider it as genuine adware, Adware.Gdown.

5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

It's an Active X Control, you will probably have several in your System32 folder (i.e. files with .ocx extension). If you can find it there you can try right clicking it and selecting Properties; that should tell you when it was created and the 'Version' tab should give you further details including its name and the Company who wrote it.

You could even upload it to Jotti's to see if any other scanners find a problem with it:-

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

If you've recently done an online scan, it could have come from that source, but if that is so the Properties box should tell you what you need to know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.