same tracking cookies over and over

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by tomrocks, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomrocks

tomrocks Registered Member

hello

so i've been having some problems recently with tracing cookies.

when i run ewido, it always detects a certain number of tracking cookies. sometimes its 61, sometimes its 28. i run a scan, it detects those cookies, and then cleans them. however, if i run it again right after (without even opening a new website), it detects the same cookies and then cleans it again. ewido doesn't seem to be really removing any of the cookies even though it says it cleaned them.

i tried reinstalling ewido and that helped it act normally for awhile but it eventually does the same thing. i also tried reinstalling firefox.

i'm not sure if this is an ewido problem, a firefox problem, or some kind of malware. i thought it might be conflicting with a program on my computer so i removed all unncessary programs. other spyware/virus removal tools i use are:

winpatrol (real time)
    windows defender (real time)
    spybot (on demand)
    ad aware (on demand)
    trojan hunter (on demand and trial version)
    ewido (on demand and free version)
    avg anti-virus
    zone alarm

i also had spywareguard and spywareblaster but removed those because i thought they were causing ewido to not work.

any thoughts?

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

3. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Try this first.

When the alert box pops up, remove the check from the quarintine box on the lower left.That has solved most issues.If they still come back, on your desktop click start/ run/ and type in %appdata% and proceed to the mozilla/firefox folder and your user profile.In your profile will be several files including various cookies.A few of these cookies will be legit ones so only delete the ones that Ewido marked as tracking cookies.

4. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Same here...:D same tracking cookies found after manually scanning my pc...but when the guard is active and then I manually scan no spyware cookies were found. ;)

I think, those spyware/tracking cookies were just the same...:D and they'll be penetrating and "absorb" in the system everytime we are online visiting those sites having these kinds of spies..:blink: But, they've have no luck to stay in our machine, coz Ewido neutralize and eliminates them all...*puppy* :thumb:

5. drhayden1

drhayden1 Registered Member

firefox many many tracking cookies....

i also have the same problem after running ewido paid version ......finds tracking cookies every time i run it.......my other programs..... ad-aware se plus and spy sweeper doesn't recognize them?and i just installed spyware blaster.................:D :cool:
    .....having firefox protection on that might help?.......are these false positiveso_O?can you just uncheck scan for tracking cookies under settings?and how do you delete all those in quarantine all at the same time.......so i be concerned about this issue since they are only tracking cookies?and one more question...on the settings which should be checked at all time....scan every file or choose files by extensions.............thanks

6. drhayden1

will this problem or bug or a improvement be made in the new ewido version coming out?

7. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

you'll have these options (at the moment)

Attached Files:

8. drhayden1

thanks gerardwil......read below..........

9. drhayden1

took care of the problem...........

took care of the problem....did a complete operating system and drivers restore...like when you first got it when brand new(not the windows system restore)on my alienware aurora m770 laptop and instead of firefox ....i put on probably the best browser i used before.....avant.........no problem with ewido and those stupid firefox lots of tracking cookies showing up on ewido scans out of the clear blue sky ANYMORE>>>>>>>>>>:D :p[/QUOTE]

10. seurat01

seurat01 Registered Member

Gerardwil,

I don't see the options that you show in your note listed in ewido. Under "Scanner" and "Settings" I see an option to "Scan for tracking cookies", but that's it. How did you get to that screen?

Thanks,

Wayne

11. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Sorry, it's under the Shield Tab.
    And it is in ewido 4, because drhayden1 was asking about the new version.
    hth,

Gerard

12. seurat01

seurat01 Registered Member

Gerard,

Thanks. I see where 4.0 is beta. I'll check it out when it goes out of beta.

Wayne

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Off topic post removed as spam.

14. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Just curious if my suggestion helped anyone.It worked for me.And it help a user on another forum.

Hi Marianna.

15. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

I think I am having the same problem as the posters in this thread but I am not sure. The tracking cookie that keeps showing up in Ewido even though I have Ewido remove it is called citi.bridgetrack, has anyone else had this one? Ewido says it removes it(after running the online scan) but then it shows up again.

One thing I am confused about it is that I assume I got this tracking cookie from using Firefox as that is the browser I use but the path that Ewido shows for the tracking cookie is C:\documents and settings\username\cookies\citi.bridgetrack.txt. Nothing about the Firefox or Mozilla directory. Do the posters above mean the cookie is also in the Mozilla folder but Ewido can't find it or remove it there? Or because nothing is listed under Mozilla does that mean this tracking cookie is not related to it?

Tobacco, Thanks for the suggestion. I'm at work but I will try it later today and report back.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

roark37

16. Shotwick

Shotwick Suspended Member

Wouldn't it be a good idea to add the tracking-domains to the hosts file ?
    Sorry, I'm not a pro, don't know myself, hope someone could clarify this, cause I have the same tracking cookies over&over again myself.o_O

17. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

Have you looked deeply into the IE6 Privacy settings? You can choose websites to always block or allow. You have to override automatic cookie handling to do it. You can go back and change some of those bad cookies that might have accidentally gotten permission.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.