Backup Plan

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by whitesnow, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitesnow

whitesnow Registered Member

Hello,

I would like to implement a scheduled backup plan with TI 9.1 Server for Windows.

The daily backup should be available 1 week.
    The weekly backup should be available 1 month.
    The monthly backupy should be available 1 year.

To save backup space I'd like to use incremental backups where possible.

How shall I setup the TI scheduler? What scheduled tasks are necessary?

Thx for your help

Regards,
    Janosh

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

The User's Guide has lots of discussion of scheduling.

3. whitesnow

Where is this User Guide? Do you know a link?

Thanks for your help

4. whitesnow

Oh I've found that User's Guide. Chapter 7 deals with Scheduled Tasks. But this is only a straight forward description of all the functions.

But what I actually would like to know is how to set up the different tasks. I find it very complicated to study.

- How many tasks are necessary?
    - Which one have to be full, and which one increment backups?
    - Which one should be daily, weekly, monthly and so on..

Could you please help me on that?

regards,
    Janosh

5. Howard Kaikow

As many as make you feel comfortable.

I use 4 external drives, not all connected at the same time.
    I have two tasks defined for each drive: One for a FULL backup, the other for an INCREMENTAL backup.

I also backup with GHost 10, not just TI.

Except on rare ocassions, I run at least 1 backup per day.
    I always run the tasks manually, I do not scedulethe tasks.

As we speak, I have 4 backup sets with TI, dated 14 May, 16 May, 16 may and 18 May. The first three happen to be FULL backups, but the 18 may is one of a bunch of incrementals tied to a 29 April FULL backup.

I also have 4 backups with Ghost 10, dated 14 May, 15 May, 17 May and 18 May.

As soon as I get out of my browser, I am going to reboot and then do a FULL backup with either TI or Ghost.

6. whitesnow

Hi Howard,

Thank you for your answer, but unfortunately this doesn't help much. Because I would like to backup with scheduled tasks of TI. And I just would like to have the backups like mentioned above (7 days/4 weeks/12 months).

Best regards,
    Janosh

7. Howard Kaikow

The information you need is in the TI User's Guide.

8. whitesnow

There is not mentioned how to setup this specific backup plan.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello whitesnow,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

In your case I would recommend you to create scheduled tasks the following way:

Scheduled task #1: create a full backup archive of the needed data (entire hard drive/partitions/files or folders) and set "Weekly" execution on the desired day.

Scheduled task #2: create an incremental/differential backup archive of the same data and set "Daily" execution.

In this case in the end of the week you will have one full backup (for example on Monday) and incremental/differential backup created on the other days. Therefore, you will be able to restore your system to each day of the week.

In this case you will need 4 scheduled tasks: each one to create a full backup of the needed data with "Monthly" execution. First task to execute week one, for example on Monday. Next on on week two on Monday and so on. Each backup will be re-created every other month.

I am afraid that Acronis True Image scheduler manager does not have the option to create backup once a year, so in this case you can create backup manually or you can use "One time only" execution.

Please note that you are free to create another scheduled tasks that will suit your needs. Acronis True Image Scheduler Task Wizard allows you to create flexible scheme for scheduling

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

10. whitesnow

Hi Aleksandr,
    Thank you for your answer.
    The proposed solution does not always provide to restore 7 days back, as the task #1 will delete the incremental files. How shall I do that?

I don't understand why only every 2nd month? I think there is one month without any backup point in this case, right?

Regards,
    Janosh

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello whitesnow,

Well. I can suggest you to use the following scheme.
    Task #1: full and incremental/differential backup archives with execution every 2 (second) week starting from first week.
    Task #2: another full and incremental/differential backup archives with execution every 2 (second) week starting from week two.

Please take a look at the attached screen shot for details (F is full backup).

You can create another scheduled scheme that will suit your needs. Acronis True Image Scheduler Task Wizard allows you to create flexible scheme for scheduling.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Attached Files:

12. whitesnow

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
    Janosh

13. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.