Malware missed by KAV

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Night_Raven, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

It's getting irritating hearing that KAV is best, that there isn't a single threat that could penetrate it, that it's always right. This is what happens on a native forum. I need some info or - even better - screenshots - of malware that has been missed or misreported by KAV.
    I'm sick of hearing NOD32 is the worst out there. I'm not a NOD fantic but it's really starting to bug me.
    So anyone got something? :)

2. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

Cue all of the techies (including myself) jumping to NOD's defence. It IS the best AV software that I have come across (and I have trialled many over the years). At least it runs on a virtual pc unlike KAV

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Well, there ain't a single AV in the world that would detect 100% out of all malware. There are threats missed by KAV and others missed by NOD32, that's a matter of fact.

4. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

huh? Besides the usual trolls on numerous forums, nothing bad has been said about NOD (unless you count the 'oh the interface is so.. uhhh' people) .. :)

5. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Who has said NOD's the worst out there?I have never read or heard that!Me thinks you posted just to wind some users up!

6. Brian N

Gamers like NOD, and more are joining. Who can blaim em?
    You won't find anything faster or cpu light av anywhere.

7. Night_Raven

I agree completely. This is what I'm always trying to explain - that even "the almighty KAV" can miss a threat or produce a FP. It's strange that I haven't encountered such fanatic statements on international forums. They seem to flourish on some native for me forums, though. I don't know why.

No, no such intention at all. I myself love NOD32. And, yes, they do sound like trolls but not entirely, so I thought I should try and reason with them by showing them proof. Even though I'm not entirely sure they would admit "defeat", it's worth trying.

8. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Did you see this now closed thread?
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=131723

9. i_kenefick

i_kenefick Registered Member

Please don't take this personally.... but this is the start of another absolutly _POINTLESS_ thread.

FACT: :ninja: No AV is perfect.
    FACT: :ninja: Every AV misses malware every day!
    FACT: :ninja: NOD32 misses less new malicious programs due to good heuristics
    FACT: :ninja: NOD32 is one of the better solutions when you take independant AV comparatives into consideration.
    FACT: This forum is full of variations of this type of thread

Although it is subjective ie. which AV is better; NOD32 is one of the better ones.

10. Jaska

Jaska Registered Member

I am sad to say KAV 6 is faster and lighter than Nod. I have trialled it. It has problems with slowing down net speed, but after they have fixed those Nod v3. will surely have a serious competitor. I am still using Nod though :thumb:

11. Brian N

It's faster because it ignores files already checked.. Sucks if those files are already infected.
    Yes, it's using less resoureses (memory), byt it's still a cpu hungry appplication. Gamers don't want that.

12. i_kenefick

KAV 6 is NOT faster even with iSwift ie. Checksumming. Im a fan of KAV also. But it is definately not faster. It uses the same engine since AVP 3. iSwift kicks in for checked files. Even with this AVP (KAV) on-access new files are checked slower than with nod32.

13. Marcos

I too tried it, though just on one sample I needed to check. It took KAV 6 to scan it 5 mins. and it didn't eventually flag it as suspicious. Then I scanned it with NOD32 and all settings maxed out and viola - flagged it as a trojan dowloader variant in less than 1 sec.

Sorry, I don't mean to bash anyone, but couldn't resist posting my own experience if you claim that KAV is faster than NOD32.

14. i_kenefick

On-Access, threats are still detected even after detection is added. Your statement is not true.

Agreed - more CPU time than NOD32 but still a great AV. There is more to the market than gamers.

15. Brian N

Well that depends on your settings my man.
    And I still think it's silly that KAV ignores already scanned files, just to increase scan time.
    Those files that it ingores could very well have some kind of trojan or virus, but you'll never know since it just ignores that.

16. i_kenefick

The trojan files would be detected on access. There is no threat here.

17. Brian N

You didn't see the vid. I don't care currently, KAV has obvious flaws.

18. Brian N

19. Night_Raven

Have you even read what I had written? I'm already aware of that, I just want a few (but the more, the better) examples of missed malware. Links to news of such events or whatever.

20. i_kenefick

Missed malware is common place and an accepted part of the AV industry. This is why you have submission addresses to AV companies. It doesn't really make the news. Look at the latest polymorphic one though aka polip. That was missed by everyone and it took quite a few vendors a bit of time to add it. How about this for an example!

21. Brian N

What?! KAV scanned a file, it cleared it, then a few months later it wont scan that particular file just because it got cleared ealier on. Don't tell me you can't see something wrong here? ... That file could be the very host of worms and what not,

22. i_kenefick

Detected on access with updated bases even if previously undetected. New bases=it will scan the files again.

23. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

just go to http://virusscan.jotti.org and hit <f5> a few times until the last file scanned results show the sort of picture you're looking for.

24. Marcos

There's no need to add more fuel to the fire so I assume the best would be to close the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.