'Priority changed to low'

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rhoda, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhoda

Rhoda Registered Member

When checking the Log after my first full backup of my entire Computer, [Disk 1], it read 'operation has succeeded' in the final line of the Log. However,in an earlier 'line' [#8] there was a yellow exclamation mark, with the comment 'priority changed to low priority'.
    My computer, a Dell Inspiron 9400 Laptop, has only the one partition [C], although there may be a hidden small partition embedded somewhere by Dell itself.
    Before doing the backup, I had disabled my anti-virus program, Zone Alarm, and almost every other program I could that normally runs in the System Tray. I left Internet Explorer running, as I have broadband service.
    I back up to an external hard drive.
    Does the warning re 'lower priority' mean that there is some problem with the backup image I had made? If so, how can I avoid this happening in the future?
    I am a novice, and cannot understand that if 'the operation succeeded', why did I get an error message?
    Thanks for any help.
    Rhoda

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I'm not sure what triggers that situation but I have had priority changed messages and they didn't cause any problem at all.

Acronis should change the description to something like "Status" rather than "Error" messages. As you can see in the log most of the entries are just cataloging the stage the program has proceeded to while doing the operations. You are not the first person to be concerned about this.

3. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

It may be that when you set up the task you indicated a priority different than the default.

Attached Files:

• Pri.JPG
      Pri.JPG
      File size:
      64.6 KB
      Views:
  4. seekforever

Perhaps, I recall now that after I set it to Normal to start with the priority changes went away.

5. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Instead of disabling those programs, create the bootable TI Rescue CD and run all your TI procedures from it. You will want to know that the Rescue CD works anyway since, in case of a hard drive "meltdown", that is what you will have to use to Restore your system.

6. TheWeaz

I don’t think the 'lower priority' is really an indication that there is a problem with the image. You should verify the image to be sure though. I have seen this message and my images verified fine. I still believe it has to do with setting the backup priority of the task differently then it is in the default options. It may just be a way to tell you that this task ran differently than a default task would.
    I run all my backups from within Windows and I shut down nothing – and I have a lotta crap running. :D
    However, as Chutsman suggested, I have used the boot CD to test B/U and recovery tasks and so should everyone IMHO (and others).

7. seekforever

I certainly won't argue against making the backup with the CD without Windows running as a safer way of doing it. However, I do make my backups within Windows and have not had any problem that I am aware of. I also don't shut anything down (PC is getting network traffic, email polling/receiving, FW and AV is running) but I normally don't do any work.

8. TheWeaz

" ... but I normally don't do any work."

I'm normally asleep at the time. :D
    Scheduling tasks is a good thing!

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Rhoda,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that this message just indicates that back up operation priority changed to low priority. It does not indicate that the image was created not properly. You should pay attention to the message with the white cross in the red circle in the Log Viewer window, they indicate errors during backup creation/restoration.

If you would like to check that the image was created successfully you can validate the image archives using Validate Backup Archive tool (Tool -> Validate Backup Archive) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.